Old-fashioned Hints & Tips...

Pink Elephant

Annie's, post in my Old-fashioned Home Remedies thread got me to thinking about this one! Thanks, Annie! :)

What are your old-fashioned hints & tips?

- Orange rinds in the baby's diaper pail to help control odour.

- Dash of baby powder inside baby's rubber pants at change-time helps prevent pants from sticking to baby's legs (skin) when pulling off and on!

Pink Elephant

Do baby's flat crib sheets pull, loosen, and come free of the mattress? Old worn-out elastics on fitted crib sheets?

Put an abrupt end to pulled and balled-up crib sheets by diaper-pinning them. A pin applied at each corner of the sheet will help keep crib sheets taught and in place, where they belong.

Pink Elephant

To help give baby's bottom a little reprieve from hot rubber pants, top cloth diapers off with a pair of regular ordinary waffle-knit training pants instead. Will help keep baby's bottom cooler and more comfortable.

Pink Elephant

Double crib sheeting!

For any mother who's experienced having to change crib sheets in the middle of the night, this one's for you!

When changing baby's crib, apply a rubber sheet over the mattress, followed by a flannelette sheet. Over the flannelette sheet, apply another rubber sheet, then finish the crib-change with a flannelette sheet over it.

When it's time to change the crib or if an emergency middle of the night crib sheet change is necessary, simply strip the top flannelette sheet along with the rubber sheet from the crib mattress, and thanks to double sheeting the mattress earlier, baby's crib mattress will have a fresh set of sheets in place and ready to go!

Yes, I practiced double sheeting when my kids were babies and boy did it ever work great!

Pink Elephant

Diaper pins not gliding through diapers quick and easy?

Rub the tip of the pins through your hair before pinning diapers. The natural oils in your hair will lubricate the pins helping them slide through the fabric effortlessly!

Yuppers... practiced this tip religiously when changing diapers!

Pink Elephant

Anyone ever have laundry, particularly whites get wound-up in an aluminum clothesline pulley and suffer black marks associated with?

Well, not more risk of line being tugged back and forth in the wind. After laundry is hung, simply clip a clothespin to the front of the line (directly ahead of the pulley). This will prevent any washables from getting rolled under the pulley if the line moves.

Pink Elephant

I have no experience changing modern disposable diapers, but I do remember changing the old, and if you got powder or cream on the tapes, they wouldn't stick to the plastic, so out would come the pins. Worked like a charm!

Fastened a few Pampers using diaper pins back in my old babysitting days.

Older moms that used disposables back in the day... what did you do when the tapes didn't stick?

BusynMember

They always stuck. No problems at all. And I used cheaper brands, not Pampers. They were very easy to use and dispose of. I knew of nobody who used cloth and I am 64. In my area it was all paper.

Lil

I know some people must have used cloth, but daycares required disposables. So that's what we used. And as for repairing tapes...never had one not stick but I did have them rip a time or two...fixed with duct tape. LOL

BusynMember

Wow, OH. I know of nobody in your age bracket that used cloth diapers. Not even sure the stores had them. Ditto rubber pants. Maybe it was done in Canada longer?? Honestly, I never knew anyone who used cloth diapers even at my age and that was ten years earlier. I figured you were older than me lol. Sorry.

AppleCori

I knew several families that used cloth diapers, especially when my youngest was born.

The ones I knew were mostly large, homeschooling, do-it-yourselfer, back-to-nature, homesteading types. They often had home births with midwives and used all natural or homemade products, gardened, canned, had home-based businesses, and were very close-knit families.

There is quite a contingent of them, and they usually fly under the radar. More in Texas than anywhere else that I know of, but some here, as well.

OH, I honestly don’t remember what I did if I had a tab that wouldn’t stick on the paper diaper. Probably used tape. Or maybe I threw it out?

Lil

Wow, OH. I know of nobody in your age bracket that used cloth diapers.

I'm the same age as OH and you could buy them when my son was born, along with rubber pants. In fact, I have some still that I used as burp rags and now use as dust cloths...didn't you read that part of the thread. :roflmao:! I do know people used them...but I never did.

Pink Elephant

I know some people must have used cloth, but daycares required disposables. So that's what we used. And as for repairing tapes...never had one not stick but I did have them rip a time or two...fixed with duct tape. LOL
LOL! It was Duct Tape in your house, and Scotch Tape in ours! Ripped/torn rubber pants occasionally got a tape-job to tide them over for a few days until shopping day, at which time I could replace the old with new.

Pink Elephant

Wow, OH. I know of nobody in your age bracket that used cloth diapers. Not even sure the stores had them. Ditto rubber pants. Maybe it was done in Canada longer?? Honestly, I never knew anyone who used cloth diapers even at my age and that was ten years earlier. I figured you were older than me lol. Sorry.
Oh, SOT, no apologies needed. :)

Told you I was old-fashioned! LOL!

Cloth diaper use in our neck of the woods was still very much alive well into the late 80's... and I even remember a few moms using cloth diapers into the early 90's, and yes, I'm talking the old-fashioned ones with pins and all.

Also know of many women/moms my age that raised their kids in cloth diapers.

I think for those mothers who were aiming to diaper their children in reusable cloth, everything they needed was available to them. Do think when we're not interested in using a certain something or certain things, we tend to look past it/them.

Pink Elephant

I knew several families that used cloth diapers, especially when my youngest was born.

The ones I knew were mostly large, homeschooling, do-it-yourselfer, back-to-nature, homesteading types. They often had home births with midwives and used all natural or homemade products, gardened, canned, had home-based businesses, and were very close-knit families.

There is quite a contingent of them, and they usually fly under the radar. More in Texas than anywhere else that I know of, but some here, as well.

OH, I honestly don’t remember what I did if I had a tab that wouldn’t stick on the paper diaper. Probably used tape. Or maybe I threw it out?
Both immediate and extended family used cloth diapers through the 80's, and a few were still using them in the early part of the 90's.

Apple. Thanks for the reply. Thought maybe a few hear may have opted to use old-fashioned diaper pins when a sticky tape failed to remain closed.