One Year Anniversary

BloodiedButUnbowed

Exactly one year ago W and I received a call that changed our lives forever - the call from F telling us that YS had overdosed on cardiac medication in a suicide attempt.

So much has changed yet so much remains the same. YS is continuing to heal and from the limited amount of information we receive, appears to be doing relatively well.

He has acknowledged the significance of the anniversary date by asking to stay home from school. I checked his attendance and F did not allow him to stay home.

We remain no contact with YS and DS and this is also true for Grandma.

We haven't had contact with YS' therapist for a few weeks, so we don't know anything immediately current.

He is back in school, he is now a junior.

But YS is alive, has an IEP with the support that he needs, and is much better than this time last year. Light years better. And for that we are grateful.

BloodiedButUnbowed

We are struggling. We are in the midst of a marital crisis right now. We are in counseling both together and separately. I am guardedly optimistic that the marriage can survive. Our couples counselor thinks that the trauma around everything with YS in particular is a big root cause of the trouble between us now. Don't want to say too much more on a message board.

Personally I am doing well. I have many feelings about my situation but I am also positive and confident that in the end I will be fine - better than fine. Those of you who have followed my story know that my marriage has been rocky for years. Our current crisis will either resolve those issues, or will lead me to choose my own path apart from W.

One thing is for sure. As much as I care for my stepsons, life is so much better without them as a daily part of it. Hurts to say but it's the truth.

Thanks for asking RE.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm glad you're doing well BBU....Trauma can certainly change our lives..... you chose to see the trauma as an opportunity for growth and healing....difficult.....and truly admirable.