Order in the Court

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ugh...sepsis. My husband had it a few times as a result of his illness having killed off disease fighting white blood cells.

Used to be that if his temp went over 101 it was an emergency admit. I remember first the blood cultures and them coming up with the "bug", which half the time was something that didn't usually infect humans.

Then the culture and sensitivity to find an antibiotic that would (hopefully) kill the bug without being too toxic to humans, and then up to weeks in the hospital with the transfusions 2x weekly and the IV antibiotics running constantly.

All I can say it that it wasn't sepsis that eventually killed him. He pulled through all the bouts of sepsis and the only permanent damage he had was from some of the antibiotics used.

My mother also had sepsis (from cellulitis in her leg) and pulled through fine.

I had cellulitis and a positive blood culture, but no sx of sepsis. Vancomycin got rid of it, but it took months to get my guts working right again after that.

I expect and hope that your hubs will be fine. Hang in there and be sure to take care of yourself.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Leafy, you're very welcome. I was part of "the culture" in the mid to late seventies. I haven't used anything not prescribed, nor used anything prescribed not as prescribed since that time.

But, so many people suffer here with children caught up in the drug scene, and its changed so much since I was involved in it, that I decided that learning the addict/user point of view and learning about the drugs themselves could be helpful.

Once I started to learn that stuff, I went to the more scientific sources to learn how all this stuff really worked chemically, and learned a LOT.

New Leaf

Then the culture and sensitivity to find an antibiotic that would (hopefully) kill the bug without being too toxic to humans, and then up to weeks in the hospital with the transfusions 2x weekly and the IV antibiotics running constantly.
Oh, yes GN, you know exactly what is in store. I am sorry your husband and mom went through a similar issue.
Both times hubs had this, he had his iv therapy at home.
We had to learn the mechanics of it.
He is more proficient than I.
The problem is he has a mechanical heart valve, and that is where the "bugs" like to hide. The body does not recognize the valve, so does not protect it.
Interesting microscopic bacterial world, it is an invisible battle going on.
The bugs set up shop around the valve and start multiplying.

I remember the first bout, a little Filipino nurse came in with a heavy accent

"We hab to keel de inpection bepore de begetacheeon grows."
(We have to kill the infection before the vegetation grows)

After translating in my brain what she said, I was keen to understand what the heck she was talking about, vegetation?
That is what they call the bacterial formation around the heart valve, a veritable garden sprouts up and wreaks havoc, can break off and go through the blood stream to the brain, lungs.
UGH.
It is a war.
Okay, got to get going.
Soldier on........
TTl.
leafy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes, I am familiar with the term "vegetation" as regards bacterial growths on heart valves.

Stu had a fused hip full of plates, bolts, and screws. There was always a fear that the infection would settle in there.

Stu had a port in, but because of the toxicity of the antibiotics they were using on him and his being at risk of very nasty reactions, they wanted him in the hospital for treatment.

Normally when he was home, I gave him his injectables through the port. No big deal.

New Leaf

Once I started to learn that stuff, I went to the more scientific sources to learn how all this stuff really worked chemically, and learned a LOT.
GN, when you jump in, you jump in deep, and I LOVE it.
You are deep sea scuba diving for information.

My Dad was like that, just gobble up all the information he could. When he settled on his little gentleman's farm, he could rattle off the geological formation of the surrounding mountains and lakes, down to the composition of the soil and what not. Then, he learned the entire history of the town.
He loved learning just for the knowing.

You are special GN. Thank you for sharing what you learn.
Okay got to sign off now.........
leafy

New Leaf

Normally when he was home, I gave him his injectables through the port. No big deal.
Yup, that was me, too.
I insisted hubs learn, because if something happened to me, what would he do?
They put in a peripherally inserted central catheter with a long enough port for self care.
Looks like we may be going that route again. We shall see.
Peace out.
(I am a 70's dabbler myself.......)
leafy

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You shoulda seen when I posted on a druggie board asking a bunch of 20 something poly-drug abusers to compile a list of modern drug slang for me. Luckily they thought it was hilarious for the most part.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stu had a sub-clavian port (in his chest). I've had a PICC line, which is what you're talking about, a couple of times. Unfortunately, due to my medical adventures over the years. I've got very few good veins left for IVs. If hospitalized and needing IVs for more than a few days, I ask for a PICC line.

savior no more

Probably for a year now consistently. He hooked up with an older male "role" model who gave him attention and acceptance and he sold it for him and used it. He would come home and crash every two weeks or so for three days. He was extremely skinny and started having sores all over his face. At least in jail he doesn't appear to have access. He says he's hungry all the time now. I reminded him that when he was free all he wanted to do was not eat and not be around the family. I've taken care of young 30 year olds who have had major strokes, miraculously walk out of the hospital after three weeks, and then end up back there a month later with more strokes due to meth.

SNM ( I didn't realize my screen name made these initials but I got a huge chuckle when someone posted it - hey I'll take it any way I can get it as I age :)

Lil

Leafy...just now seeing this. What a horrible day...you must have felt like you were in the worlds worst April Fool. Prayers for your hubby and you and your Rain.

Kalahou

New Leaf,

I’ve been holding you folks high in thoughts and prayers today. These have been hard days for you. Thankful you can be with hubs, and believing for the best care and recovery. These are times families pull together. We are here for you, dear.

Sharing healing mana … HA ... Bless, Kalahou

hawaiian chant for healing

Last edited:

pasajes4

I saw a movie starring George Cloney that was set in Hawaii. His wife was in the hospital in a coma. In the opening scene Georges character talks about how most people can't imagine that pain and suffering could exist in paradise. I wish that were true right this minute for you dear Leafy.

New Leaf

Leafy...just now seeing this. What a horrible day...you must have felt like you were in the worlds worst April Fool. Prayers for your hubby and you and your Rain.
There are challenges in life where day to day turns to one breath at a time. All we can do is walk slowly, one foot in front of the other. I thank you for your prayers Lil. Likewise, my prayers go out to you, Jabber and your son.
If only the young could understand how quickly life goes by, and how precious each day is.
Thankful you can be with hubs, and believing for the best care and recovery.
Mahalo nui Kalahou, for your good wishes and the healing chant.
Sharing healing mana … HA ... Bless, Kalahou
‘O kau ola e ke akua
E nana mai kau mau pulapula
E ola a kaniko’o, a haumaka’iole
A pala lauhala, a kau i ka puaaneane
A laila, lawe aku ‘oe ia’u i ke alo o Wakea
most people can't imagine that pain and suffering could exist in paradise. I wish that were true right this minute for you dear Leafy.
Thank you Pasa. Indeed, there are trials and challenges that test us, no matter who we are and where we live.

My husband and I have known each other for 43 years.

Two very different people from very different backgrounds.

As I sit here in the still of the morning, I am reflecting on our life together,
the joy, sorrow, struggles and triumphs.
I am thankful for the blessings we have shared,
and even the difficult times we have overcome,
both have honed us.

We were brought together by our mutual love for the sea.

The ocean is like life, unpredictable, refreshing, tumultuous, breathtaking,
full of strong currents that test the most experienced.

Surfing is a passion we both shared. Years back, we would load our boards in the early hours of the morning and arrive at the beach before daybreak, darkness and chill of dawn would greet us. Some days, the surf would be a lot bigger than others, the water whipped up in swirling currents, whitewater dancing across the shore, lines of waves stretched out as far as the eye could see.
There was a feeling of hesitation before paddling out,
I knew the conditions were going to be a challenge.

That is what this feels like.........

"Follow me." He would say in his gruff voice.
If he thought I couldn't handle it, he would not take me out.
So I would go.
Run into the cold salty sea,
lift my heavy board above the oncoming breakers,
slide my body up onto the waxed deck
and paddle as hard as I could to get through the shallow current filled waters,
out towards the deep blue where the waves were cresting.
The shock and chill would dissipate
as I worked my way out through the pounding surf,
my heart pounding with it.

Hubs would be paddling swiftly ahead of me,
I fiercely tryed to keep up, measuring each breath in anticipation,
as I made it over and through the whitewater, confidence built a bit more.

The bigger the surf, the further out one has to paddle,
positioning is critical to catching the best wave.
My eyes would be fixed towards the horizon,
searching through the patterns and outer breaks,
trying to guess when and where the next big set would appear.

Hubs knew the ocean well. He was much more skilled than I.

I would see him far ahead of me, in the blue sky
orange tinted sunrise,
dark silhouette sitting atop his board,
waiting.
Finally reaching him, I would heave up on my board,
then swing round to view the beach from whence we came.
Body warmed by the exertion,
wisps of wind on my frontside,
gazing at the shoreline,
everything reduced in size by the distance paddled.

The only way in, is to either catch a wave, or let the wave catch you.

"Eh, wake up, keep your eyes on the sets,
no turn your back on the ocean."
He would scold.
Then smile.
Splash water towards me.

The sea moved and churned all around,
small whirlpools boiled up over the reef,
telltale signs of a big set coming.
The water would start sucking out,
large lines approaching closer and closer to where we sat.

Deep breaths.

Hubs would expect me to swallow my fear.

When faced with an oncoming set there are two choices,
tail between the legs, paddle further out,
up and over,
up and over,
up and over,
maybe five to seven large waves.

That was not an option.
To him, this was cowardice, a waste,
unacceptable.

The rule was "If you going be one surfer, no hesitate, catch the wave and ride it."

Sitting way out there,
oncoming sets,
heart in my throat.
I knew that I had to suck it up
and catch the wave.
Ride it.

That is how this feels.
Suck it up.
Catch the wave.
Whatever happens, happens.
No turning back.

The unpredictable ocean of life.

I am praying that we will again, pull through this, together.
He is very ill, and very tired.
His test results are a bit better, so it seems the medicines are working.
I am in an altered state,
just going moment by moment.

Hoping.

Gazing out to the horizon
with somewhat fearful anticipation.
The swell, fast approaching,

Hubs will expect me to inhale,
grit my teeth,
turn my board around,
paddle with all my might,
pull myself to my feet

and ride the wave.

leafy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I just listed to the First Hawaiians' chant for healing and noticed something very interesting:

The tone,timbre, and rhythm are quite similar to those used by a cantor in a Jewish synagogue as (nearly always 'he') chants the service in Hebrew.

I can't imagine where or how Polynesian travelers would have run into Jews thousands of years before Judaism was developed. Not to mention that the Polynesians traveled by boat, and the ancient Jews traveled overland

Feeling Sad

Leafy, what exquisite renderings.

In your pain, you dug deep to embrace cherished memories of facing unknown ordeals of courage. You are much more brave than I ever knew, my sister.

Yes, you are at sea, strong, and riding the fierce unrelenting waves of life.

You are going to reach the calm shore...two feet planted firmly in the warm, welcoming sand with your Hubs by your side.

pasajes4

I love the ocean. I find peace and solace even when a storm churns the waters. There is calm and beauty after the storm has passed. A new awakening to the rhythm of the sea and a deeper appreciation for the gift we have been given. Your bond with your husband will stand the challenges that you have been given because you share the gift of the sea.

New Leaf

Not to mention that the Polynesians traveled by boat, and the ancient Jews traveled overland

3. Historical Associations with Hebraic Cities of Refuge

Early European visitors to Honaunau, trying to place the Hawaiian term pu'uhonua within a context they could understand, used the term "city of refuge" for this area. Although it little resembled the cities of refuge in Jerusalem, because it was neither a city or even a settlement and because protection was granted to both the innocent and the guilty, the name clung to the site through succeeding generations of visitors and scholars. A "logical" conclusion of this misnomer was that the Hawaiian people must have descended from one of the lost Hebrew tribes. [12] Abraham Fornander dedicated a paragraph in his first volume on the Polynesian race to "Cities of Refuge," sacred areas that he noted had often been discussed as "another instance of Hebraic influence upon the customs and culture of the Hawaiians." [13] Even King Kalakaua, in describing the two Pu'uhonua, or places of refuge, on Hawai'i Island, went so far as to venture that their existence suggested "a Polynesian contact with the descendants of Abraham far back in the past, if not a kinship with one of the scattered tribes of Israel." [14]
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/kona/history9c.htm

That chant is done way differently than how my daughter learned in her hula halau (school)
Accent and cadence, the pronunciation and introduction lead me to wonder who taught the man chanting it. When I played it for Hoku, her expression was priceless, she said "Mom that's not even the correct words"....... I reviewed a few other chants he has on Youtube and they are totally different than anything I have ever heard. I am not native Hawaiian, hubs is, but I have heard these chants from native practitioners' and this is way different.......(sorry Kalahou! still appreciate your gesture......)

A more traditional chant, for you to compare........

There are several styles of chanting,

"There are many different types or styles of oli, as you have probably noticed. Some of these include: kepakepa (fast, rhythmic chant), hoʻāeae (chant with lengthened vowels), or kāwele (similar but slower than kepakepa). "

It is hard to find works on Youtube, I think the reason being that most Kumu Hula, or teachers, are not using this avenue to share.
It takes a lot of time, practice and spiritual understanding, and the mindset is that what they are teaching is from ancient times, and it is a gift for those who appreciate it? That is what I think........

This video gives you a sense of the inflection and tone of native speakers, also a little insight of Hawaiians worldview.........

We just finished watching a four day competition of hula called the Merry Monarch Festivals, so we were treated to ancient chant and dance, as well as more modern.

Here is a sample of chanting and dancing in the ancient style........

Okay, I went Scuba diving for you GN....

(((HUGS)))
leafy

InsaneCdn

The defense attorney tried to use that as an excuse for his violent behavior
Seriously?
There are only a handful of situations where there may be an excuse for violent behavior - and it's still not justified. If some dad beats the stuffing out of the guy that raped his daughter... I will admit, I have some sympathy.
But it is extremely rare for there to be ANY excuse for violence against a woman. (not impossible...)

We will never know all of the facts. That isn't a possibility. But... I don't understand how some of these lawyers can take the approaches they do and live with themselves, unless they are somewhat prone to violence themselves.