Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD):which beahviors to address first???

Now that difficult child is more stable, I see her Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) traits more clearly. I have attended an orientation and a support group at the local autism center in the past week. Last night there was a presetation about the Sonrise program.
It seems to be working Occupational Therapist (OT) listen to her and patienly have her express suff. i do see growth in this. It is exhausting for both of us. That is hte goal for this week. To have her request, in what terms, to connect iwht me sans thrating and tantrums.
We will se her tomorrow for 5 hours for Easter (bruch and then parks:she wants to fish and see her dog) , Tuessday wil take her to neuropsychologist. It is going better, it is one hour at ta itme. She is expressisng when it is too overwhwlming and frustrating for her. Tuesday is also family therapy. Thursday we pick her up for a 48 hour pass to the beach for her sixttenth birthday.
Compassion

BusynMember

For me, since she is already older, I'd get her into a social skills group for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) teenagers. I personally don't feel one can do Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) interventions alone. Lack of social skills/life skills/common sense are big issues with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and have to be taught. Even then it's a struggle. My son STILL at fifteen doesn't want to shower and doesn't care if he smells bad. It's not something that matters to him.

JLady

A ship lost in the night
Compassion,

A book I have recently read that has really helped me tremendously in trying to figure out what to work on with my son is "Parenting you Asperger Child" by Alan Sohn. This books outlines the different areas to work on and tells you what areas you have to work on before you are able to move on to the next thing. Putting it into practice isn't an easy task but the book outlines how to get started and how to keep moving. I got the book from the library and wound up ordering it for myself so I could write in it and keep the charts and diagrams of the instructions and suggestions.

Perhaps you can get a copy and it will be helful to you as well. What we have been trying thus far, seems to be working well. It just takes time is what I've been told.

JLady

Fran

Former desparate mom
Pardon that I don't remember all the behaviors or the story about your difficult child.
I think the behavior that is the biggest obstacle for your difficult child to function will be a long process of addressing and implementing change. I would work on this while dealing with some of the more easily dealt with behaviors using behavior modification and therapy.

Some of my difficult child's behaviors have been dealt with over the course of his life in different ways because as they age, it requires differant approaches.

Good luck.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I will order it today:) Fran, You are right. Flexiblity is probably the biggest concern. She is sitll very , very rigid. At the autism parent's support group last night, they talked about that was a huge issue. You are right, that is prably more important than the interelational stuff at this point. She is still tantruming some when thinks do not go her way,etc.
Compassion