potty problems

crazymama30

Many of us have posted about bathroom issues, guess it is my turn.

What just slays me is he is doing this (I think) out of pure impulsivity and the inability to slow down. It only happens in the morning before the patch has kicked in. He goes in to urinate, and I think he is standing beside the toilet and then he goes over it and it gets the trash can or the floor. I have made him clean it up with a rag and bucket. He has done that now about 5 or 6 times. He does it now without complaint. Does not seem to faze him. The only other thing I can think of to try is to go with him (ewww) into the bathroom and make sure he is doing this the right way. Like I know?? I do not urinate standing up, but husband is asleep at this time, and we try not to wake the hybernating bear.

Any other ideas?

Andy

Cleaning up without complaining is a good sign. He is taking responsibility for his actions.

My guess would be that because this happens only in the morning right after he gets up, that he has a full bladder and does have a hard time controlling it by the time he gets to the bathroom.

If that is the case, try to reduce his intake of liquids before bedtime and perhaps get him up about 15 minutes earlier. Make sure the bathroom is available when he gets up.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I think the full bladder is something and the other thing... not to get too into it. But sometimes guys are erect in the morning! YIKES
It is very *hard* to urinate and have control at the same time.
I have had to yell at husband about the morning peeing on the seat or some getting on the floor!
He would not even notice at times, because his bladder was full and or because of the other.
He just sits now in the morning because he is half awake any way and doesn't want to cleanup!

I don't know what the answer is, husband told me it is just easier in the morning to sit. I have heard this from other guys as well.

maril

Good suggestions given. I like the idea of getting guys to sit!

This is really not related -- just want to share that I remember when I was young my mom complaining about the guys in our house (four altogether). "Somebody" was missing the target, the heater vent was close to the toilet, and need I say more... :sick:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 2 has aim issues as well. And like Toto said, sometimes the full bladder causes an erection which makes it extremely difficult to control aim. I encourage him to sit instead of stand, otherwise he will have to come back and clean up the mess.

Alttlgabby

I feel your pain and can sympathize with you! My daughter who is 23 is wetting the bed or floor almost daily! So, I am continually in her bedroom with a green machine or doing wash. It's getting real old but I try not to get on to her anymore. This has been a problem since about August and has just gotten progressively worse. I believe it is the depakote she is on and it causes her to be so sleepy that she just cannot get up to go in time. Especially in the morning when I wake her up to take her pills and go to the bathroom (only to find out she has already wet the bed!). She does limit her intake and drinks nothing after 8pm. I feel bad for her because I know that it has to be humiliating for her and she feels bad that I am having to do her bed daily (she can get the sheets off and to the laundry, but not back on the bed). She goes back to see the Dr on the 19th of Feb. and he told her he would give her the choice to come off the Depakote and try just the Abilify with the Lexapro, so I am hoping that with that combination she will be more awake and able to function. I hope that her hair loss stops then as well!!! Her hair is so thin now and small bald spots can be seen in areas and she used to have such thick hair!!!

Good Luck with your son and don't come down on him too hard. You know it has to be humiliating for him. Poor guy! At least he is compliant about cleaning up his mess. Can you maybe have him put something down on the floor at night (thickness of newspapers? or even buy some doggy pee pads?) around his toilet so that when he is missing, it won't be so bad?

crazymama30

Ok. I am not a guy. I think it is the uhm, morning salute, for lack of a better term. I think we need to figure it out, either he sits, he hits the toilet, or I get to make sure he is using the correct technique (aka hit the target).

DammitJanet

I live with...or lived with...4 guys. SOMEONE...cant hit the pot. We live in the country on 8 acres and my guys have been known to open the front door and pee outside cause its easier in the mornings...lol.

crazymama30

Ok, this was funny. I mentioned to husband sitting down to go first thing in the morning, and he said that would be worse, it would go straight up in the air. He looked at me like I was an alien. I told him I am not a guy, how am I supposed to know? I asked him,so how do you hit the toilet then? He bent over and held onto the counter and said like this. ROFL. I am not sure how to explain this to difficult child, and husband would maybe be worse. I may make him have a try, as I am starting to feel very out of my league here. I just literally do not have the equipment.