Question about juice. How long can you leave it out before it goes bad?

Californiablonde

I know this is a silly question, but I really am paranoid about accidentally food poisoning my kids. Maybe it's part of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), I don't know. Anyway, difficult child 2 got the juice jug out of the refrigerator last night to get a drink. He forgot to put it back in the refrigerator and it sat there on the counter for about six hours. Once I found it, I checked to see if it was still cold or not. It was still cold, but not as cold as it usually is coming straight from the fridge. Is it okay to reuse it, or has it gone bad and I will need to buy another one? I just purchased it a few days ago and there's still plenty left. I'd hate to have to go out and buy more if I don't have to. What do you guys think?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It should be fine.

If you're worried - boil it, cool and put it back in the container with a little water to replace what boiled off...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Should be just fine. :) I used to send it with the kids for lunch and they didn't have a thermos, much safer than milk, more apt to be drank than water.

keista

Should be totally fine. Juice generally doesn't spoil as in the sense it'll make you sick. It rots/ferments just like the fruit it comes from. (ever drink wine?) This can also happen if it sits in the fridge too long. I've had bubbly OJ more than once in my life.

InsaneCdn

Depends a bit on the kind of juice... real juice, as long as it's not tomato-based, is fine.
Leave it out in the sun all day, and it would start to ferment... but probably STILL wouldn't make you sick.

"Juice" drinks (won't name names, but anything not 100% real juice)... not familiar with.

Californiablonde

I hate to admit it but this juice doesn't have that much real fruit juice in it. Maybe 10% if that. I bought it cause it's fruit punch that is clear and not red. The carpeting at our last apartment was absolutely ruined with bright red juice stains. Got the carpet cleaned and they told me the juice permanently dyed the carpet and nothing could be used to get it out. Some genius out there discovered that red dye is not necessary to add to juice just to make it look more appealing. For that I am grateful. Anyway sounds like it's pretty safe for the kids to drink the juice. Thanks, ladies. I feel better about it now.

Jon777

from the Tropicana website:

"Q. How long can juice be left unrefrigerated?

A. Chilled juices should be kept constantly refrigeratedor they will spoil. We do not recommend using chilled juices that have been left unrefrigerated more than three hours."

http://cr.tropicana.com/crforms/documents/tropicanafaq.pdf

I know this is a silly question, but I really am paranoid about accidentally food poisoning my kids. Maybe it's part of my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)), I don't know. Anyway, difficult child 2 got the juice jug out of the refrigerator last night to get a drink. He forgot to put it back in the refrigerator and it sat there on the counter for about six hours. Once I found it, I checked to see if it was still cold or not. It was still cold, but not as cold as it usually is coming straight from the fridge. Is it okay to reuse it, or has it gone bad and I will need to buy another one? I just purchased it a few days ago and there's still plenty left. I'd hate to have to go out and buy more if I don't have to. What do you guys think?

susiestar

Roll With It
Tropicana's answer has more to do with litigation than food spoilage. Given it was a juice drink and was still cool, it is perfectly FINE and SAFE to drink. The added sugar in it actually helps preserve it. I have had to take more than a few food service sanitation classes/certifications, I get food poisoning VERY easily, and I wouldn't think twice about drinking the juice personally.

I hope that helps. Tropicana says what it does to keep from getting sued, period. They can point to people who drink spoiled juice and in many states that statement will keep them from any liability. this is based on taking consumer law classes as part of my degree.

I hope this helps your Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) side with this issue.