Raise your hand if a little mania is starting to creep into your house this spring.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
difficult child 2 has been reeeally squirrelly the past few days. No changes in medications, but he has gotten taller, so maybe we need to get his Depakote levels checked again...

He blows into the house after school now like hurricane. He's LOUD. He's EXUBERANT. He's GIDDY. He's INTRUSIVE. He talks to himself. He shifts from one activity to the next without finishing what he's started. He's more impulsive. He's slightly irritable, which is unusual for him. He gets stuck on topics. He talks about imaginary or fantasy things, creatures, ideas as if they are real or possible. He admits to his head "buzzing" the past few days, indicating that it's sort of on and off, but gradually getting worse towards the end of the day.

Sigh. We never really do get to let down our guard with a difficult child, do we?

H

HaoZi

The spring swing, seeing it here, too, in her case faster shifts of up and down.

KTMom91

I'm getting the "catastrophizing" here...the what ifs just kill me. What is the point of worrying about something that may or may not happen in two years? Arrrgh. And then to get so worked up about it...

So yes, my hand is raised...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I'm sorry you're all in the same boat with me.

Mary, my husband is in a similar funk, and he's under a lot of stress right now. Nothing is good. Nothing is right. His life sucks. Blah, blah, blah (it gets old after the third or twentieth iteration). And he's looking to pick a fight even though he doesn't see it.

I'm going to check in with difficult child 2's teachers today. They've been going through state testing with the kids this week. Maybe they've seen changes in him. Maybe not. We all know how they're able to hold it together until they get home, don't we? ;)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Oh yeah....kt is climbing the walls & talking non stop. She's made some incredibly dangerous choices & involved in very risk taking behaviors. Yep, spring is here along with the mania

seriously

Seeing big swings here too. One day difficult child 2 was up at 6 am, singing at the top of his lungs, stomp-skipping down the hall, demanding to go to school NOW. He was sooooo obnoxious the entire day.

The next day?? slept 13 hours and went to school for 1 whole hour. Was down and irritable and wife and I looked at each other and were like - this is a different kid than the one we had yesterday.

The ED teacher says difficult child 2 absolutely belongs in his classroom. Yeah. G*d I wish those idiots at the school district hadn't stonewalled me about this for years.

Anyway, we are doing medication adjustments. Increasing his Topomax from 25 to 50 and then to 100 mg over 2 weeks.

Hope it helps.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Remember what happened when we put Wee on Ritalin a few years back? (For those who dont, Wee is the kid that you take to the ADHD clinic, and all the other parents in the waiting room go "OMG!" - Well, when we tried Wee on Ritalin, it was like taking putting him on crack cocaine...)

Last night, husband said to me "Did you put him back on Ritalin again and not tell me?"

Hand raised here, too.

shellyd67

MY HAND IS RAISED AS HIGH AS I CAN GET IT GO !!!! Gvcmom, I could have posted a carbon copy of your thread. Things have been tough around here for over 2wks.

difficult child is off the hook at home and school. His teacher said he "just shut down for the remainder of the year."

He has a psychiatrist appointment on Tuesday and I am starting my therapy in a few weeks (can't wait):sigh:

husband and I are irritable with one another and so on and so on ...

I hope we ALL have a better week !!!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, so I'm laughing and kind of happy to know it's not just MY difficult child! :rofl: I know. It's a sick club we're all part of here.

Misery loves company, ya know?

Shari, difficult child 2 acted like he was on crack also at one point a few years ago when he was on stims and we didn't realize what was really going on...

Seriously -- I think a lot of us have also felt like a lot of time was wasted in our difficult child's lives as we crawled our way down the road seeking services and supports. I've been on this path with my difficult child 2 since 2000, and it's only THIS year that I finally feel like we got a handle on the medications (as much as we can expect to), we've got him properly assessed, and he's getting the services and supports he needs. So despite the setbacks, delays, false starts, mistakes, and misunderstandings over the years, I figure he still has his entire life ahead of him and he's headed in the right direction. It may not be the path I thought he'd take, but he's on his way nonetheless.

Tonight I opted to give him some short-acting Seroquel -- psychiatrist gave us 100mg tabs to keep on hand for times like this. Don't know why I didn't think of it a few days ago. If this continues next week I'm going to ask them to call in orders for a blood draw to check his Depakote levels. easy child's about ready to pop him if things don't settle down soon. :-/

Wiynter

Yup...hand up here too. difficult child talks so fast her mouth moves faster than her brain does, and things come out mush. Gets all sorts of ideas for projects, starts them, and abandons them soon after, and there's been a marked increase in her hypervigilance and paranoia too. We got a week of relative peace, but it's the calm before the storm I think.

My sister has a difficult child as well, and says she's come completely undone every spring for the last 6 yrs or so, regular, like clockwork.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I took Jett to the doctor yesterday, they wanted to put him on Singulair. OH OH OH NOOOOOOO! The doctor took one look at my face and decided - maybe not. She asked me if it activated him. UM - YES - he goes from sweet and a bit talkative to monster brat who will.not.shut.up.

But I discovered something else - albuterol activates him too. By the time we were done at Walgreens, I could have used a 12-hour nap. And that was less than 2 hours after getting the call from the school.