Reoccurring dream themes

BusynMember

Do you have any?

I have one reoccurring dream where I have gone somewhere and I want to go home but I can't call anyone. My phone is lost or I can't find a phone or my phone won't work and I never can connect. I had this dream last night. I was in Ohio....not sure where I was coming from but it wasn't Wisconsin. I never was able to call anyone, which I needed to do in order to get home.

Another weird thing is I am usually very young in my dreams, even in high school. Weird!

You,?

Pink Elephant

Awesome started thread, SOT! :)

Goodness, I'm, of those people who's dreams are sort of hit and miss. Some nights I swear I don't dream at all, though I'm certain I do, just probably don't remember or have a poor REM sleep.

Anyhow, what I find about my dreams is I can't run fast when trying to escape from someone. It's as if I'm trying to run through mud or something. I had this creepy dream a few weeks ago where I was being stalked by a stranger, and it seemed to go on all night. I even woke at one point and as soon as I fell asleep again, the dream started all over again.

Another dream I had a few weeks reoccurred over a period of several days, like maybe the better part of a week. Same dream, same everything, even the conclusion was exactly the same each night I had it.

The dream revolved around the doorbell going off in the middle of the night, and when I opened the door, a spooky looking lady was standing there. Talk about shivers running up and down ones spine.

Do also find that a good portion of my dreams are sort of abstract, in the sense that they veer away from the normal realities of life. As an example, I recall dreaming of making a large pot of spaghetti, and when I realized I was out of spaghetti, I dropped a full-size pillow into the stock pot, and instantly it turned into spaghetti. I know, strange as strange gets.

Will try and think of more.

wisernow

wisernow
I have had a recurring dream for a number of years. I am in a house which seems familiar to me, (but which I don't know) and while in the house I always discover some secret rooms which no one knew existed. I am excited by these rooms upon discovering them, but also scared because there is something that feels haunted about them. The house is always different, but the theme is the same.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My dreams are often about interactions with people from my past that never happened. Sometimes pleasant, sometimes not so pleasant. Sometimes with strangers involved. Often in places we've never been. Usually very detailed and involved and I remember them.

Many of the dreams have gone on from childhood, like stories unfolding, and often, if i wake up from a dream, I can will myself back to sleep and continue with the dream where I left off.

I can also wake myself from a dream going bad, and to some degree control the directions my dreams take.

I always know I'm dreaming when I am, so if things get weird, I often find myself saying "You're dreaming. Let's follow this and see where it goes. There may be something to be learned."

Crayola13

I could write a book about some of the crazy dreams I have. My son swims a lot, so I often dream we are swimming through the house and seeing beautiful fish of all colors and different types. The water is always warm and relaxing. Sometimes I have bad dreams about things that have happened in the past. I also have the typical dreams that everyone else has, like being chased or falling. In other dreams I will be walking around the house and not knowing if I am fully awake. I dream of snow. I dream that I suddenly discover my grandma didn't really die, and that I see her around town, but cannot get to her. I dream of walking around her house and farm. Food, especially cake, is what I have been dreaming about every night for two weeks! In other dreams my teeth fall out. I often dream of walking down a hallway, opening each door, and seeing writing on the walls that I can't decipher. All those dreams have meaning. I have figured out some of the meanings. Other dreams are because of things I watch on TV.

Crayola13

I have had a recurring dream for a number of years. I am in a house which seems familiar to me, (but which I don't know) and while in the house I always discover some secret rooms which no one knew existed. I am excited by these rooms upon discovering them, but also scared because there is something that feels haunted about them. The house is always different, but the theme is the same.

I, too, have dreams about discovering secret rooms in our house I didn't know existed when I am trying to organize and make space for all the junk we have.

Lil

I've had a lot of strange dreams. I tend to have ones where I'm exploring a house or I'm in my house, but it isn't the one I actually live in, etc... I have a lot of dreams based on TV shows. But when I comes to recurring dreams, I can think of two that really stand out in my life.

The first - this is embarrassing - I'm looking for a bathroom. No, it's not one of those dreams! :redface: But I'm looking and looking and I finally find a place to go and after I'm "in position" I realize that there is no wall, or it wasn't a toilet after all and I just went on someone's recliner or something, or it's all glass around me, or the only toilet is in a big open room and people start coming in and I'm just exposed there, doing my most private business.

I've had that kind of dream many, many times over the years. I'm pretty sure that one signifies that I suffer from a lack of privacy and need more "me time." :roflmao:

The other one I've had a few times, but only a few. I know I had it shortly before my marriage to Jabber and shortly before buying our home...in other words, before big, life-altering events. In it there's always a dark place you can't see into - a hallway or once I remember it was beneath bleachers, or a closet, etc. and in that dark is this evil, horrible, formless, nameless something that is coming to get me. It's really just more a feeling of complete terror and impending doom. I literally work up screaming (scared Jabber half to death) from that one.

Pretty sure that one is a fear of the unknown...and of big, life-altering events. :rolleyes:

AppleCori

Funny thing about sleep is, I apparently don’t know when I’m doing it.

I had a sleep study done a couple of years ago.

They have you hooked up to electrodes and you have to sleep with them on, and they monitor your brain waves all night.

Afterwards, they ask questions like ‘how well did you feel you slept’ and ‘how much of the night do you think you slept’. Now, to this day, I would swear I slept maybe two or three hours, at most.

Turns out, I slept pretty much the whole night, with regular sleep cycles. Quite embarrassing.

BusynMember

Lil I have a bathroom dream too and it is always when I have to go but am asleep. The dream is kind of funny after the fact. I am walking around frantically in different places, never at home, looking for a loo, as they call it in the UK. I find many, but, just like the dream where I somehow can not use a phone to call home, I am prevented from entering the bathroom. I try to go to another one but am again blocked. This goes on and on until I wake up and head for my little throne.

No need to try and analyze THIS dream!

Lil

LOL SWOT - my dream isn't a pee dream - in that I don't actually have to go in the waking world. It's just a dream about not being able to find a place that's private and I guess using the bathroom is the most private thing I think of...Jabber and I are DOOR CLOSED people! We don't share that much!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Lil I have a bathroom dream too and it is always when I have to go but am asleep. The dream is kind of funny after the fact. I am walking around frantically in different places, never at home, looking for a loo, as they call it in the UK. I find many, but, just like the dream where I somehow can not use a phone to call home, I am prevented from entering the bathroom. I try to go to another one but am again blocked. This goes on and on until I wake up and head for my little throne.

No need to try and analyze THIS dream!

I very occasionally get the extended version of this dream: where I do find the bathroom and sit down and uh...start doing my thing. This causes a shock awakening, a mad dash to the real bathroom, stripping from the waist down, cleaning up and drying off, and then replacing my sleep clothing from the waist down.

Never wet the bed as a kid...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Nope. My mother's had them, and my husband did as well. Worse yet with hubs, he sleepwalked when we first moved in together (He'd been on medications for it as a child). I woke up one night to see him happily standing with his back to me...peeing into his sock drawer! He washed his own socks, disinfected the drawer, and oddly, never did it again.

Funny thing was, he had a "shy bladder". Couldn't urinate in front of others. When they did "pee tests" in the Army, it could take HOURS and gallons of water/coffee for them to get a specimen from him.

Pink Elephant

I very occasionally get the extended version of this dream: where I do find the bathroom and sit down and uh...start doing my thing. This causes a shock awakening, a mad dash to the real bathroom, stripping from the waist down, cleaning up and drying off, and then replacing my sleep clothing from the waist down.

Never wet the bed as a kid...
I've come close to wetting the bed as a result of dreaming about sitting on the potty. I've always awoken, but it always has such of a way of raising the heart-rate.

I can't hold my bladder as well as I used to. I believe that's the result of multiple children, and getting older.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In my case it's age and nerve damage in my sacrum and tail bone (cauda equida syndrome).

I never had children so can't blame it on that.