Retro Television (opening/closing) Theme Music

BusynMember

Television was the new big thing then, the thing grandparents were sure would ruin the younger generation. A lot was put into television when it first came out. Makes sense. Now there are many more channels and cable and live screening. Cable is getting its butt kicked with live screening. Change is always happening. Kids are turning off expensive cable and using Roku channels. I just had a talk about this with the representative I saw when I went to change our cable last week. Things are not the same as even five years ago. Cable is losing ground fast. Our company is pushing internet and live streaming, not cable.

As one who enjoys the now, I can say most TV bored me from early on. And it still does. I don't think of television as classy in any era. I wouldn't mind not owning a television if not for sports. And the trashy Judge shows of course :).

When I watch very old shows now, I'm talking black and white, I can't relate. Seems before my time and very dated. I chuckle at how couple's slept in separate beds! (Hehe).

Even later shows like All in the Family, that I once liked, seem very dated now to me. The politics of that show is from the 60s. I can't enjoy it anymore.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Oh, sure it was, SOT. Take a look at how women (for example) dress now, as compared to back in the day on television. Everything was contained in a womanly, classy fashion, now, it all hangs out, and there was a manner in which women and men walked and talked back in the day. A lot of that has been lost. Society as a whole has lost it's form of class. Take a look at how few people respond with a thank you when you hold a door open for them, or how many people hold a door open for you. Even casual greetings on the street have been lost. No one cares to make eye-contact anymore.

No, times have changed exponentially, and not for the better in my opinion.

I love old B&W shows, the likes of Turner Classics. That channel, which we no longer get because of us reducing our cable subscription was the best for oldies.

We have friends who have slept in separate beds since before they got married. :)

BusynMember

I disagree. My mom didn't walk around in a dress. Nobody did. My grandmother either.

Where I live, and it is a smaller city, people say please and thank you and pick things up if somebody drops things and help stranded drivers. Bigger cities aren't like that as much because of sheer volume of people. I love where i live. Everyone waves to and smiles at one another and it is often a race to see who can get to a door to hold it open for somebody. Maybe it's time to move?
If you lived here, you would like it. You are too pessimistic. Kindness lives on. Your town maybe got bigger and busy. I don't see things being worse. I see them as both worse and much better, depending on the issue. But i like the now.

And I don't want to go back to how it was on 50s TV. The cultiral times were reflected. The black folks and other minorities were not even represented on television. Hmmmm. Or Jews. It's not classy in my world to pretend only white Christian's exist. How anyone else was treated, including on TV, was so extremely low class to me. As a kid I used to ask where Jewish people were on television. There were none. And on TV nobody opened doors for blacks or Mexicans or said please and thank you to them. Or Asians. These American citizens did not even exist on classy TV. Or to me bigoted TV where I never saw one Jewish family and I didn't know why. The TV world was white Christian except for I Love Lucy. Bless Desi Arnaz.

I never knew a soul who slept in separate beds. And I'm ten years older than you. The only person I knew who waited until marriage to have sex was ME lol. Maybe I had a great grandparent team who slept apart but sex was IT in my generation. The 60s and 70s.Our generation.started the sexual revolution.

So, at least my world, I liked TV better once it diversified and became more realistic and relatable to me. I still wasn't a TV fan. But at least there are Jews, blacks, Hispanics and Asians on the screen. And gays and lesbians. And some disabled folks. Just like real life. Positive inclusion of all people is classy in my personal definition.

There is no one way to describe classy. What is classy to Joe is trashy to Jane. There is no right or wrong. It's opinion, not definitive.

To me class has nothing to do with outward appearance. To me classiness is how you treat others, how big your heart is and how you ride out difficult situations with grace. I aspire to be that person but doubt I will get there in this lifetime. To me you can dress in rags and have class though.

TV shows never represented class to me. Just the mindless escape from our lives that we use it for today. And I don't care if they wore dresses ,(I dont own a dress) or say thank you all day long. I do feel nice manners are a part of kindness, which I value above all else. Kindness rules. I have several shirts that have sayings about being kind.

So again we are different, which is okay!!! Love ya, Pink!

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I disagree. My mom didn't walk around in a dress. Nobody did. My grandmother either.

Where I live, and it is a smaller city, people say please and thank you and pick things up if somebody drops things and help stranded drivers. Bigger cities aren't like that as much because of sheer volume of people. I love where i live. Everyone waves to and smiles at one another and it is often a race to see who can get to a door to hold it open for somebody. Maybe it's time to move?
If you lived here, you would like it. You are too pessimistic. Kindness lives on. Your town maybe got bigger and busy. I don't see things being worse. I see them as both worse and much better, depending on the issue. But i like the now.

And I don't want to go back to how it was on 50s TV. The cultiral times were reflected. The black folks and other minorities were not even represented on television. Hmmmm. Or Jews. It's not classy in my world to pretend only white Christian's exist. How anyone else was treated, including on TV, was so extremely low class to me. As a kid I used to ask where Jewish people were on television. There were none. And on TV nobody opened doors for blacks or Mexicans or said please and thank you to them. Or Asians. These American citizens did not even exist on classy TV. Or to me bigoted TV where I never saw one Jewish family and I didn't know why. The TV world was white Christian except for I Love Lucy. Bless Desi Arnaz.

I never knew a soul who slept in separate beds. And I'm ten years older than you. The only person I knew who waited until marriage to have sex was ME lol. Maybe I had a great grandparent team who slept apart but sex was IT in my generation. The 60s and 70s.Our generation.started the sexual revolution.

So, at least my world, I liked TV better once it diversified and became more realistic and relatable to me. I still wasn't a TV fan. But at least there are Jews, blacks, Hispanics and Asians on the screen. And gays and lesbians. And some disabled folks. Just like real life. Positive inclusion of all people is classy in my personal definition.

There is no one way to describe classy. What is classy to Joe is trashy to Jane. There is no right or wrong. It's opinion, not definitive.

To me class has nothing to do with outward appearance. To me classiness is how you treat others, how big your heart is and how you ride out difficult situations with grace. I aspire to be that person but doubt I will get there in this lifetime. To me you can dress in rags and have class though.

TV shows never represented class to me. Just the mindless escape from our lives that we use it for today. And I don't care if they wore dresses ,(I dont own a dress) or say thank you all day long. I do feel nice manners are a part of kindness, which I value above all else. Kindness rules. I have several shirts that have sayings about being kind.

So again we are different, which is okay!!! Love ya, Pink!
I apologize that my previous post rubbed you the wrong way, SOT. Yes, we, as in you and I, are miles different.

BusynMember

You didn't rub me the wrong way. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. It's okay to be different. Our life experiences color our feelings about certain things.