Risperdal/Risperidone/Invega Side Effects - Important even if your child is grown and off of it!

susiestar

Roll With It
Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well. Things have been busy and hectic here, so I haven't been around as much. I do think of you often though!

I recently came across information about one side effect of Risperdal (also called risperidone or Invega) for boys that can require surgery. I think this is a side effect that was glossed over as the doctors were explaining the medication and side effects, at least to us. The side effect is called gynecomastia, and is referring to boys developing breast tissue and sometimes even lactation! We would have weighed that heavily if we knew this could be a significant problem.

Some boys are even requiring surgery to deal with this. The manufacturers have been successfully sued in cases where it is significant and/or requires surgery for the male to adjust/return to a normal masculine shape. It isn't a matter of weight gain being distributed there, it is a change in the underlying tissues that is creating the shape and even lactation. I can only shudder to think of one of our sons with this problem, trying to behave "normally" with a body that is developing that way. It isn't just at puberty that the body can do this - one reference I looked at mentioned a 4 year old boy who started lactating. Talk a side effect to give you all sorts of problems as you grow up and learn what it is to be male and female!

If you have a son with this issue who may need or even may have already had surgery, please seek out an attorney to file a case for you. It may be a big help to you. Of course if your son is old enough to make decisions about this, pass the information on to him.

You can do a search online for "Risperdal/risperidone/Invega gynecomastia lawsuit" and then figure out someone to help you further.

I am going to copy this into the General forum to catch parents with younger children, just in case they need this. Just wanted to let you know that it will be the same post, and why I am doing that.

Nomad

Staff member
This was a great medication for our daughter in terms of behavior issues ONLY.

However, she has extraordinarily large breasts because of it.

We did not know for a long time what was going on. She is adopted and we wondered if this was a genetic issue.

She had the lactation situation once. And I put a stop to it. It then became crystal clear it was the medication.

No doubt worse for boys.

Some day she might need breast reduction surgery. She smokes and many doctors won’t do it if you do t quit or at least drastically cut back.

Honestly, it was by far one of the best medications for her in terms of behavior. But very bad physically.

Her extremely large breasts have caused her pain , embarrassment and awkwardness.

Today, we don’t use it. We would consider using it for a max of one day in a very extreme situation only. It really is a very concerning and even debilitating problem. A drug NOT to be used regularly at ALL.

It is good that you are warning people about Risperdal. .