Sad story with a happy ending

Californiablonde

Our dear Lily passed away unexpectedly two weeks ago. We still don't know what went wrong. She was only five years old. For about a week she began losing weight, although she was still eating and pretty much acting normal. Was planning on taking her to the vet, then the night before she became lifeless. I rushed her to the hospital, but the vet said there was nothing we could do. He could have run several thousand dollars worth of tests, but it would have been pointless. We had to make the painful decision to put her to sleep. My daughter was especially devastated. She has always had a special bond with all animals, and she was Lily's favorite person.

My daughter begged me to adopt another cat, but I couldn't afford a several hundred dollar adoption fee, so she was disappointed. Then a friend of mine messaged me and told me she desperately needed to get rid of her cat due to living situations, and if nobody took her in she would have to put her to sleep. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. I would never be able to see an animal put to sleep all because her owner could no longer take care of her.

So this past weekend my daughter and I went to meet Sofia. When we got to my friend's apartment, she was lounging around on the couch, and she let both of us sit next to her and pet her. She didn't seem the least bit nervous at all. After speaking with her and her family, we agreed to take her home. She seemed to adjust quite well, considering she was a six year old cat and she was moving to a brand new home with another strange cat living there.

I was a little worried about how our other cat Charlie would react to her. He is a totally calm, relaxed kitty. In the whole three years we have owned him, he has never hissed or growled once. Still we were bringing in a new, very large, adult cat into the home, and I didn't know if he would freak out. When we first let Sofia out of the carrier, he sniffed at her and started checking out the new litter box my friend had given me to take home. No hissing or growling. As soon as Sofia saw Charlie, however, instant hissing. Charlie became quite scared, and ran and hid.

My daughter picked up the cat and brought her into the bedroom with her. Sofia lay down next to her on the bed for several hours, letting my daughter pet her. Every now and again Charlie would reappear to check her out, and once again she started hissing. Charlie would ever so cautiously back away, then run into the next room. At one point I tried to pet Sofia, and she hissed at me. I was surprised, since she was totally comfortable with my daughter. No surprise, really. Every cat we have ever had has preferred my daughter over everybody else.

Anyway, a few days later and Sofia can actually stand Charlie being in the same room with her, and even allowing him to move within a few feet away from her. She will also let me pet her and pick her up without hissing at me. I do believe she is getting used to all of us. She has already picked out her favorite spot, which is a very high sitting chair in the living room. She sits there and watches us all, and lets us come pet her from time to time. I am so grateful and blessed to have her in our household. I do believe she was heaven sent, and God gave her to us at the perfect time. I just wanted to share with you all that my sad story turned into a happy ending.

Lil

How sweet! I'm sorry you lost your Lily so quickly and unexpectedly...but you've saved another kitty's life! She'll get used to Charlie. I predict in a few months you'll find them snuggled up together like they've known each other always.

Californiablonde

How sweet! I'm sorry you lost your Lily so quickly and unexpectedly...but you've saved another kitty's life! She'll get used to Charlie. I predict in a few months you'll find them snuggled up together like they've known each other always.
Thank you I hope so!

Californiablonde

I'm glad you were able to give this new kitty a good home!

How are you doing?

Apple
Hi, Apple. The new cat is settling in nicely. She is a sweetheart. She still doesn't care for Charlie much, but hopefully that will change. I posted an update in Parent Emeritus if you would like to read it. I am about fifteen minutes away from going home, and I plan on de stressing with my cats. Thank you for asking. I hope you are doing well.