School, ABA and SSI

Amity

We are finally making headway. Little guy went to a dr and she listened. We are starting testing with U of M. After a ton of tears, videos and melt downs he agreed to getting blood drawn. It was a Christmas Miracle kind of moment. All came back within normal parameters so now we're just waiting on U of M to start calling, from what I understand we are on a very long wait list. Meanwhile we are doing the ADA and the ADOLF for ABA services.
I do wonder how ABA will affect us if we get approved for it. Anybody else have their child and half day school so that they can do ABA/other half at home? ABA is only offered in home here.

Also people are saying I should go ahead and start SSI but I still feel like I don't have "the concrete" and I'm not even sure that there is such a thing. We've been needing Services since he was 2 years old. He is almost 7 now. Do they look at school do they look at Medical or combination thereof or do they have their own testing all together?

I honestly feel really wore out. It's like I have a meeting or an appointment or some homework to do regarding my son at least three and a half days a week from here out. I'm not even sure how people do this and still maintain a life outside the home. I have been living on savings and child support in order to be able two start on a path for him. When I was working prior I was never really able to even help out taking care of my kids much less attend appointments. So if we do ABA that's going to solidify a portion of my day where it will require me to be home every day of the week (right? ). When I wasn't home and bringing in the bacon so to speak, I feel a lot of things that should have been done weren't able to be at such a crucial developmental time.
Dr is thinking polyphagia, atypical autism, autism high functioning, anxiety disorder or in that Realm.
we are still eating more than we need to but now he understands that he's not eating wheat products. Since he is very much a creature of habit the bringing breakfast, lunch and snack to school has almost fed THAT. He's even started desiring taking the same Foods to school everyday.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Hi there,

I might go ahead and apply for SSI even if you aren't sure he needs it. It could lay an important foundation for eligibility for any benefits he may need as an adult.

Do you anticipate your child will be able to live independently as an adult? My ex's nephew was placed on the wait list for a group home once he was diagnosed with moderate autism at age 3. The wait list was 18 years long. It is really something that we are expected as parents to have answers to these questions when our children are just toddlers, but there you go.

Amity

Oh my goodness. I never really thought about him needing a group home or anything. I will admit I have wondered if he will be my forever child (child that never moves out). It is actually a bit of a fear I have. Not saying I wouldn't or couldn't but I don't believe I would be what's best for him. Even at 6 he uses me as his escape from things when they get tough. If I'm not around he deals with whatever (or I should say holds it all in till he gets home and then unloads). I seriously have no idea what life will be like for him as a teen or adult. Uggggg

BloodiedButUnbowed

Children often make fantastic gains so it's hard to know what they may need.

I will say that your son seems to need about the same level of support as my ex's nephew did. I am no longer in contact with that family. He was attending a special education preschool the last I heard. He is seven years old now.

You may want to ask the psychologists who evaluated your son whether they think applying for benefits and potentially a wait list for a group home might be consistent with his anticipated needs. If he turns out not to need them, great....but if he does need them, it may be a load off of your mind to know he is cared for.