Security systems for homes

BusynMember

Nomads post about the dog sitter prompted this post.

We went through our house today for an inspection. Only one problem and it's not that big. I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!! Anyhow....(feet back on ground)...

Hubby and I want a good security system that won't break the bank. I like the idea of being able to see the house online and I like alarms too. We WILL be traveling next winter. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
We have the doorbell with the camera.
And a regular alarm system ...windows and doors and some glass break detectors. We do have it connected to an alarm company. If they can’t reach me immediately, they send the police.

I might end up putting a few cameras around as well. Maybe one in back yard and one ir two in the house. I saw a system in Qvc that wasn’t too crazy expensive.

Our primary system is the monitored central alarm.

We were burglarized about two years ago and it hit me hard.

Pink Elephant

One thing I would never do, sign-up for a service where you are billed monthly.

There are a magnitude of security systems out there that high caliber and require no agencies or businesses skimming off the top.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We have 4 Samsung camera with a DVR that we got from Sam's Club. I can look any time from my phone... No alarm but those are simple.

pasajes4

I have ring outdoor cameras and doorbell. I also have a wireless alarm sytem and indoor cameras. The one item I could not live without are the low tech door jacks that I bought at Lowe's.

Nomad

Staff member
What is a low tech door jack?

Will look into the Samsung 4 camera !

My doorbell camera has been interesting. It even has a feature where you can communicate with other like doorbell owners who will send warnings re odd solicitors or actual burglaries in the area.

pasajes4

It is a bar that fits under the handle and extends to the floor. The height is adjustable to accommodate various doors. It makes it very difficult for someone to kick open the door. I also travel with one to use in hotel rooms. I believe they cost under 30 dollars.