"Sick" but funny. Absolutely not what I wanted for my company.

DDD

sister in law arrived yesterday and she is a lovely person who is very into health, animal rights, protection of the environment etc. We do not know each other well so when I got home from work I suggested we sit on the patio and catch up. Ace (husband's 86 lb. best friend Boxer) walked out and stood at the door to be let out. I let him out and in less than two minutes he chased a squirrel. He always chases them and it is amazing how quickly they avoid contact.

NOT! Darned if Ace didn't catch his first squirrel...not five feet away from the patio door. He shook the thing from side to side. sister in law turned completely pale and said
"look he's hurting the poor squirrel". :embarrassed: After turning red I calmly said
"oh no I think he's just playing with him". LOL How lame is that??????

Thank the Lord I slowly walked to the door and called out to Ace. "No, Ace. Put
the little squirrel down. Come inside now." My voice broke his intensity and he relaxed his jaw, the squirrel went straight up a tree, and Ace came in the door."

sister in law said "don't you think that hurt the squirrel?" Calmly (on the outside, lol) I reassured her that the squirrel had scampered up the tree. YUK!

It was Cutty time ASAP. Yikes! What a way to start a visit. DDD

donna723

OMG! I'm still marveling that a squirrel could be able to run up a tree after being in the jaws of an 86 pound boxer! He's one lucky little squirrel! sister in law may be an animal lover but she obviously needs a little dose of reality. He's a DOG and that's what dogs do if they have half a chance!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh my.

Well, just like any other animal (humans included), squirrels can be pests... So... Glad he didn't actually hurt it.

When I was about 10, my dog (a Samoyed) found a turtle in the back yard. She would pick it up and flip it in the air like a frisbee. My Dad took it about a block away - three days later it was back. Half a mile - a week. He took it to work one day, about 15 miles away - and a couple of months later, the darned thing was back... We knew it was the same one due to the paint Dad had put on its shell. We gave up at that point, and let the dog have her fun. Apparently, the turtle liked it, too.

The next Spring, we noticed it was gone... But no shell, no parts.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think I would have placed a "token" snokker of Cutty at the bottom of the tree - turned to sister in law and said " You may not believe this, but Florida squirrels are known to have addiction problems....See? They do this all the time - We've tried to get the squirrel into AA - but ACE has such a big heart, he's working on his own method of intervention - one day we hope he'll get into the box and let us take him to treatment."

ISH.

DDD

I'm not that quick, Starbie. :bravo:

sister in law, by the way, had stayed a couple of days with friends on the coast. She was taken on an air boat ride and couldn't get over that the air boat kept running fast through the swamp. "There were gators and turtles and birds all over the place and the driver just kept flying right through them! I asked him if the wildlife was injured by the air boat and he assured me no harm came to them."
I don't think I'll do that again, she concluded.

She may not come back to Florida, lol. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
You know.......people like her? Have these ideas in their head that it's okay to do this, but not that. If she knew how 1/10th of the things in the world were made or produced? She'd be living in a Pennsylvania ordna. Even then - I have it on good authority they aren't very nice to their horses.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:rofl: She sounds like my difficult child-bro's wife. You were far kinder in your replies than I would have been. We have ground squirrels that invade our hillside, weakening the slope with their burrows, destroying plants, bringing fleas (which often carry bubonic plague in our state) and ticks into the yard, and generally being pretty destructive. SOme days I wish I had a dog like yours that could keep the problem in check! For now, we trap them with chicken feed and then I humanely euthanize them... much to my kids' horror. They'd rather I take them down the hill and set them free, not believing me that they'd just come back. And they are prolific breeders, so where there's one, there's likely several dozen. They're kinda like rats with bushy tails -- very different from the tree squirrels.

svengandhi

OMG! They're animals! It's nature! If my CHILD was swinging a squirrel around by its neck, I'd intervene, but if my boxer (whose only 40 lbs at this point, but he's still a puppy) did it, I'd just avert my eyes.

I don't think I'd do the boat ride either because I'd be afraid that the boat would crash or flip and I'd be eaten by the gators.

H

HaoZi

I would have said something about Ace bringing home dinner (I hear squirrel meat is reasonable eating).
<----- is the person you do NOT seat next to a vegetarian at a dinner unless you're looking for entertainment of the sick variety.

Star*

call 911........call 911
svenghandi?

Now would the child have that squirrel in her mouth? Or be using her hands? (trying to get a visual here) because my first thought was MUCH funnier than the hand version. "Sicker" too, but still in keeping with D3's post. :groan:

tawnya

I'm an animal lover at heart, but put the varmits in my house, and they are gonners. I know this squirrel was in the backyard, BUT...kinda close LOL

I'll agree, though, that's it's not good for company.

DDD

I guess the "all shook up" squirrel must have shared his horror story. There hasn't been a sighting since the other night. Usually there are three or four frolicing in the yard. Too bad, soo sad. DDD

witzend

While we were in Cabo Oscar caught a rat (UGH! Will the neighbors please stop feeding their pets outside?) and killed it. The girl who was dog sitting told us that he had caught and killed a mouse. I asked if she was sure it was a mouse and not a rat, and she said "Well, it had a very long tail. Maybe it was a baby rat." Ewww... She said that he was having a wonderful time, tossing it up in the air and running around the yard with it. I gather that she had to bribe it away from him with a treat. What treat could be better than a dead rat?