Simple Stuffing Recipe?

witzend

I usually buy my stuffing pre-made with the most delicious sausage in it from a special deli we've gone to since we were kids, and cook it in a casserole. I got too lazy to fight the traffic and crowds this year and bought a box of sage seasoned bread cubes. Now what the heck do I do with it?

I figure saute some onion and celery, then add the bread cubes and spice mix with some chicken stock then bake it. Am I missing something? I've never done it before...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sounds like you've got it covered... I have UNseasoned bread cubes, some sausage, onion and mushrooms... And no clue how to make it.

witzend

I'll cook it in a casserole alongside. Too afraid of food poisoning to do it in the bird. Only have to get "near death diarrhea" once in your life to avidly avoid it. ;)

InsaneCdn

Ahhh... Ya, I know what you mean. But... Mom only ever stuffed the bird, and so that's the only way I learned. (including learning to put a second thermometer into the stuffing... )

LittleDudesMom

witz, there are a couple things you can add if you want. If you have sausage in the freezer you can add that. You can also add cranberries or some diced granny smith apple. I do love celery, onion, sage and sausage stuffing myself. This year I'm doing the sausage, sage, celery and onions with the added diced granny smith and then another stuffing which is cornbread and hot italian sausage.

Grease your casserole dish before you put the stuffing in - naturally it's better with butter, but i use cooking spray!

Enjoy.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Errrrr... Shari? What's "poultry seasoning"?

Mind, I don't even keep seasoned sald - I make my own mixtures - so if it is something like that, what's in it?

donna723

I do it like what you're talking about but I always add a couple of beaten eggs to the mixture before it's baked to bind it together.

I don't really have a recipe but I use a whole stick of butter to saute the onions and celery, then add two cans of chicken broth, salt and pepper and several spoonsful of poultry seasoning. I use a whole big bowl of cubed bread, add the two beaten eggs and toss it so the eggs are spread evenly in the bread cubes, then add the (slightly cooled) broth/onion/celery mixture. I usually bake the dressing in seperate shallow pans because the turkey bakes quicker if it's not stuffed but you can do it either way.