So far, so good

OK, so after a long haul without seeing my son, he turned 21 last week. I have been with him a few times over the past few weeks and we have talked through the time of abuse and all that has passed between us.

The really really good news. He has been clean since he came back from rehab, which is over a year ago. He looks strong and healthy. He met a girl!
He is working. He also gets why I did what I did when the whole world was torched with drugs.

We´re on a good Father-Son track and it fills me with hope.

On a different note, I had to leave my relationship, when I realized that my girlfriend had a deep codependency with two of her daughters´ mental illnesses. And that I was enabling it too, in my own quiet fashion. After years of not really saying NO, I ended up leaving, as I couldn't recognize myself anymore. I re-read Melody Beattie and replaced the drugs/alcohol with mental illness. The same dynamic indeed.

So now, the time has come to start again. I feel strong and ready.
It's still summer here, which makes everything somewhat easier, even with Covid restrictions.

Nandina

This is great news! It is wonderful to hear the hope in your post, Bruce. It sounds like your son really has turned a corner, begun to grow up, and is on a good path.

The boundaries you put in place held. Good for you. Sorry to hear about the loss of your relationship but you sound positive and strong and I wish you the best!

Please keep us updated.