So what's for breakfast??

goldenguru

I know the old saying that "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day". I told my kids that for 20 years. But, I never practiced what I preached. Breakfast for me was always coffee chased by toothpaste. Yum.

I am trying to diet. Well just eat better really. And I would really like to try and incorporate breakfast. Trouble is - it just never appeals to me.

What about you? Do you follow the suggestion to eat a good breakfast? What did you have today?

Off to second a second helping of coffee. :coffee:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I generally enjoy a bowl of cereal/skim milk & an 8 ounce bowl of yogurt (low fat). That along with a pot or 2 of coffee keeps me bouncing for a few hours.

:coffee:

Marguerite

It's not easy. To diet, I did well when I ate a bowl of muesli for breakfast (plain, not high-fat, high-sugar, toasted). But I now have a problem with oats which puts just about all decent breakfast cereals off my list.

I've done better on our Aussie CSIRO diet, which is a low-GI, moderately low carb diet. But it uses a lot of beans and through following that diet and cooking my own beans, I now find I can't eat anything in the kidney bean family.

So I'm concentrating mostly on low GI, although I'm less fussy in the morning. Yoghurt for breakfast, a glass of milk when I feel hungry, lots of water, maximum one slice of bread a day, eggs. My favourite decadent breakfast is omelette, with prawns and fresh herbs; or maybe omelette with fresh cooked asparagus and a generous blob of bearnaise sauce (home-made, of course). I have a great microwave recipe for bearnaise, then I keep the sauce in the fridge or freezer and we all enjoy it.

If I'm in a hurry, I do two or three fried eggs (bantam eggs, they're tiny). I break them into a non-stick pan then turn off the hot plate. There's enough residual heat to cook them through while I go get dressed. They never burn, they're always done just how I like them and I don't have to stand and watch them. No toast. Maybe a bit of bacon (cooked first, to get the fat so I can cook the eggs in it).

Another diet version (also related to CSIRO diet) is to make sure you eat from at least fifteen different plant sources each day. It's a challenge and it really keeps your variety in your diet, as well as the amount of vegetables and fruit you eat. Yes, herbs count too. So an omelette with garlic chives, onion chives, parsley and basil already has four different plant origins in it. Serve with fresh fruit and there's more. Bearnaise - another one, for the tarragon that goes in it.

Enjoy!

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
Five days a week I eat cereal-I love Raisin Bran Crunch! Two mornings I usually eat fried eggs. I don't but it's good to include a 1/2 to 1 cup of fruit.

I don't know if you can get it in Michigan but I used to eat four slices of Manitowoc Ovens toast in the mornings. I would have two slices of Right Wheat and two of the Cinnamon raisin-with I Can't Believe its' not Butter Spray. That gave me 14 grams of fiber to start my day and virtually no fat!

K

Kjs

I have made the frozen omelets that were posted on the board.
difficult child now has an omelet once a week. Pancakes, french toast, cereal. sometimes a Grilled Cheese, or grilled ham and cheese, hard boiled egg, egg salad sandwich or Bagel with-cream cheese.

I try to make him a hot meal the three school mornings I am home.
He has cereal or a hot pocket the other two.
Weekends are sausage, eggs and hashbrowns.

Myself..I have oatmeal or nothing.

That is my weekly breakfast menu.

Pam R

Every morning I have some form of hot whole grain cereal with sufficient protein powder for my weight added in, plus ground flax seed added.

Currently it's rye and barley. I add fruit, usually blueberries, but sometimes peaches. Because I can't do dairy I add cashew butter (can't do peanuts either) and rice milk. It takes all of 5 mins to make, even being whole grain.

No sugar or sweeteners, just a bit of fruit. It holds me til lunch time, so no need for a mid morning snack.

It's the munching and the processed foods and sugars that keep the weight on by triggering an insulin response.

To make sure weight comes off, walk every chance you get. :dance:

For lunch, again have enough protein and whole grains and vegs and it will hold you another 5 hrs. If you eat later than 6PM, have a planned whole grain/protein snack at 4:30 - 5PM so you don't snack on sugar, etc.

Once your insulin response stabilizes, the weight will slowly come off and stay off. This is NOT a quick fix, though.

Pam R.

P.S. This is what I have, but one could also have eggs, or any other type of protein and whole grains. Think outside the box, why not have a chicken breast (precooked) or something left from another meal?

P.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I drink a protein shake with frozem berries each morning along with a shot of high potency vitamins. And 2-3 cups of 1/2 decaf coffee.

On occasion, usually a weekend morning, I will indulge in either a whole grain bagel with butter or pancakes slathered in butter and syrup, yum.

trinityroyal

A nutritionist I saw many years ago told me that it is important to eat something healthy at breakfast time, but it doesn't have to be breakfast food.

I dislike most of the traditional "breakfast" options, and have been known to eat salad, pizza, steamed vegetables or something else of that sort for breakfast.

I usually try to have fresh fruit or vegetables (my current favourite is pineapple chunks...for some reason they're on sale in all the grocery stores around here, and they are ripe and delicious), and some sort of grain, often a small helping of rice. My other option is a small mixed salad with a light vinaigrette dressing.

(And...after years of this, my co-workers have gotten used to seeing bowls of salad on my desk first thing in the morning, so I no longer get the funny looks I used to.)

Trinity

Sunlight

when I wake up early
1/2 english muffin with crunchy peanut butter
OR
9 or 10 pieces of frosted shredded mini wheat cereal-dry if I am in a hurry

and coffee

then about 10 or 1030 if I am home that morning, I make a big breakfast: bacon, grits, eggs and the other half of the muffin, more coffee-hazelnut preferred.

I love breakfast but not when I first wake up.

Lothlorien

Currently eating a spinach/ricotta frittata.

I can't eat first thing in the morning. I have to be up for a couple of hours, then I can eat.

I'm doing Atkins. Eggs are usually the breakfast item, right now.

Penta

Today I had a piece of multi grain bread, toasted, with natural peanut butter, sliced apples, drizzle of honey, and sprinkled with cinnamon. Yummy and satisfying. I am trying to sty on my sensible eating plan and that means eliminating most regular breads and pastas from my diet and increasing my veggies, fruit, and lean meat. Some days, I do fine, others, I fall off the wagon.

Good luck!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bad Kitty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh good grief.

I had a donut. </div></div> :rofl:

meowbunny

I eat in the morning. Sometimes it's a breakfast thing -- eggs and toast; pierogis; French toast; homemade frozen waffles. Sometimes it's leftovers from the night before -- especially green salad. Occasionally coffee, sometimes tea, frequently soda. No milk due to allergies.

My big downfall is bread. I LOVE bread -- French, Italian, rye, wheat, white. I don't care. Just give me my bread. Sweets I can avoid so long as I can have chocolate once a week. Alcohol is no problem. I have it for guests but that's about it. So, I don't have a beer belly, I have a bread belly. And I refuse to even consider a diet that says no bread.

DDD

HMJ and two hardboiled eggs....and water. Yummm Oh! Salt and
Pepper, too. LOL! I'm trying to eat completely healthy for
five days.

My favorite breakfast is leftover dinner. I am a major carnivore
and adore leftover steak, chicken etc. "Back in the day" we had
eggs, bacon, french toasts etc. etc. etc. every morning. Those
were the days before the darn scientists started figuring out
"good" from "bad". DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
I cannot eat any cereal with milk. I put the cereal in a plastic cup and eat it when I eat it. Milk makes me sick. Literally.

Lately I can only eat 2-3 oz of ANYTHING with-o wanting to be sick, or being sick. No GI problem that a scope could find.

I am concentrating on having enough protein and complex, healthy carbs to function on. Not easy. Can't eat 5-6 times a day with-o getting sick.

My mom, who has NEVER been able to do much for bfast stirs protein powder into her coffee and chugs it. She has a little whisk she uses only for that. She has found a non-artificial sweetener protein powder with very little sugar to use. And it comes in chocolate!! She loves this, it makes me gag.

Good luck,

Susie

muttmeister

I have found that when I'm dieting, if I eat a bigger breakfast, I don't want to snack during the day and I can be satisfied with a smaller lunch and dinner.
Today I had a homemade breakfast sandwich: Toast a whole grain English muffin. Add a fried egg, a slice of cheese, a slice of tomato, and, for me, a squirt of mustard. Wonderful...
When I was working I used to make a scrambled egg in the microwave in a paper cup. It only takes a minute and the egg puffs up nice and fluffy. You can add onion or mushrooms or green pepper or whatever you like. Quick and, in the paper cup, you can take it with you.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Wow you mean the bottle of soda I had isn't breakfast? Hmmm I guess I am going to have to rethink things.

I try to be healthy occaisionaly but it never lasts.

Beth