Soy Chorizo?

KTMom91

After Hubby's colonoscopy last Friday, the doctor told him he needed to start eating better. More high fiber, less grease and fat calories. OK. Hubby, however, is stuck in his ways, and wants MEAT for breakfast, and I said OATMEAL, at least part of the time.

Miss KT got a "healthy eating" app on her phone, and found some things she wanted to try, since she plans to run track at the new college. We went to the grocery store and got oatmeal, vanilla whey powder, flaxseed, and, especially for Hubby...soy chorizo. And I didn't tell him it was soy.

That's what was for breakfast...chorizo and scrambled eggs, with whole strawberries and OJ. His only comment? I don't think the chorizo was cooked long enough. Nothing about it tasting strange, or having a funny texture.

I think I'm on to something...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
My friend H - she of the hubby who just had a heart attack at 31 y/o - said soy chorizo rocks.

I figure the spices they use probably cover up the slimy tofu-ness?

LittleDudesMom

I actually really like tofu - I've not heard of soy chorizo - I am going to check at the grocers - did you find it at one of those "health" grocers like Good Foods, or Fresh Market or at your regular grocers?

Sharon

H

HaoZi

The Morningstar Farms (veggie fake meats) stuff has become a staple here. As in, yes, our household, the people who will not can not dare not eat veggies. Us. We love it. No, it doesn't taste exactly like the real thing, more like a generic version of the real thing. Corndogs, bacon, chiken patties (the grilled ones also great for cutting up to make a grilled chicken salad if you like that). Kiddo calls it "fakin' bacon" and adores it.

Also check out the whole grain (not just wheat, actual whole grain) pastas, and quinoa, too.

We did try the tofu hot dogs (forget brand) from the vegetarian section of produce - don't. Those were nasty.

KTMom91

It was at our regular grocery store, with a selection of tofu items. I just thought it was funny that he didn't even notice any difference.

LittleDudesMom

Thanks Mary! I'm going to look for it when I shop next. I'm not sure my regular grocer has it because I shop that section on a regular basis. I buy the shredded veggie moz and veggie cheddar and I usually buy a block of tofu every other week and I know if I saw the word chorizo I would have been all over that!!!!!

Sharon