Speaking of food....

susiestar

Roll With It
I eat what I am hungry for when I am hungry for it. I will eat breakfast food at any hour. I will eat pizza at any hour. I have so very few foods tied to time.

I love traditional breakfast foods and so does my entire family. We often make a large breakfast casserole in the oven or crockpot and have it for dinner for a day or two (or three if I hide a few servings for myself!). If I am home all day, I will likely eat it for a couple of meals.

Often if J and I are home, we will do a roast and fixings for lunch for the 2 of us. Dinner is "leftovers" because none of us are home at the same time. Hubby and the kids are often on different schedules, so we cannot have dinner together more than maybe once a week (if we are lucky).

I don't really understand why some foods are okay to eat at any time and some foods are only okay at certain times. Biscuits seem to be acceptable at any time, even dripping with honey. Coffee cake, which is often just biscuit dough with sweetener and butter, is only acceptable for breakfast or mid morning with coffee. Why? Who made this rule? Why does it seem so arbitrary?

Why is sausage a breakfast food? Why is chicken a breakfast food if you serve it with waffles but not if you fry it and serve it without waffles or biscuits? Why one earth would french toast not be a good food to eat at any time? It is bread coated with eggs and milk! How is that not amazing food? If you put ham, swiss and turkey between 2 pieces of bread and you dip it in french toast batter and fry it, you have a monte cristo and it is lunch food. Who made that rule???????? WHY?????

I have wondered these things for decades!!!!!!! Literally wondered them since I started reading cookbooks when I was about 14 years old. That Monte Cristo is a whole lot better with bacon and cheddar and turkey. If you want to be truly decadent, make a breakfast sandwich using French Toast instead of bread, and bacon, eggs and breakfast sausage. I put the bulk sausage in a ziplock and seal it with no extra air. Then I roll it out until it is the size of the bread I use to make the sandwich. I open the ziplock, tear it down the side, and dump it into the pan to fry. When it is close to done, I have the other ingredients about done. Then I assemble it and feed my crew. Even if I use the "bacon and sausage" sausage, I still have bacon on the sandwich. That is just how my crew eats. J puts a tiny drizzle of real maple syrup on her sandwich. Says it brings out the savory. We only do this once or maybe twice a year, but it is quite good!

About the only food I don't eat at breakfast time is steak or pork chops. I could see pork chops, I just don't think of them. Steak with eggs just is gross to me. I know other people like them, and that is find for them. It just doesn't work for me. I cannot even do steak if I have just woken up in the morning. I just can't. Part of that might be because I like rare steak. Cooked past medium rare and you might as well bring me a burger. That cut of meat is now worth about $1.99 or less to me. I sure won't pay more for it. (And my burger better be cooked ALLLLLL the way through!)

I like coffee. I can't drink more than 1 to 2 cups a day, and I try not to drink more than 1 cup. Mostly because it doesn't help the migraines. I love Earl Grey tea. I would NOT cope well with someone waking me up in the morning. We would either agree that it would not happen the next morning, or we would agree that I would be very unhappy with them and would probably let it show. I don't do being forcibly woken up well. Never have done it well. My husband learned to let the alarm clock wake me up very early in our marriage. I apparently reached over and stuck my hand in his mouth. ALLLL the way in it. Apparently hitting his nose didn't activate his snooze alarm the way it did the clock's. I have no memory of any of this. I was sound asleep, as in snoring. Luckily for me, he found the whole thing incredibly hilarious.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Lol, Susie. I happened to have leftover steak for breakfast today, along with oatmeal (lightly salted), and a few dried apricots. Steak was very rare. That's the only way I'll eat it. I barely eat burger any more because of the safety issues and my not liking it well-done.

Sort of grazed for lunch. Some cheese. A hardboiled egg. A few greek olives. A clementine, and part of a piece of garlic tandoori naan (bread).

Haven't figured out dinner yet.

In my culture, sausages are sort of a whenever food, but we traditionally eat a much larger variety of sausages than the typical American family.

Funny story, remembering that I grew up in a Jewish household. When I went to Germany, I was thrilled to have the original versions of many "Doytch" sausages I'd grown up eating from the Kosher deli. Imagine my surprise when all of them tasted distinctly weird! Took a bit to figure out it was because the REAL sausages were, and had always been,made of pork, NOT the BEEF the Kosher versions I'd been eating were made of!

I grew to enjoy them once I got used to the difference in base flavor.

I also grew up not eating dairy and meat together when I was young, so it was many years before I could enjoy a Reuben sandwich. Ham and cheese, fine. But corned beef and cheese was just weird.

And my grandmother told me the reason shellfish made me deathly ill was because they were "treyf" (not Kosher). My mother, who at 83 yrs of age, has still never eaten pork or shellfish/molluscs of any kind, unloaded on her. I'm not allergic to molluscs. I've tried oysters and calamari. I don't like them, but I'm not allergic to them. I do use oyster sauce in cooking.

I HAVE to have heavy duty protein when I wake up, so I go for meat, eggs, fish, or cheese...sometimes peanut butter.

But I don't link any food to any time of day. I eat what I want when I want it.

By time I was in my twenties and doing a lot of hiking, the triad of dried sausage, hard cheese, a piece of fruit and a hunk of hard bread, was a staple hiking lunch, both here and in Germany.

susiestar

Roll With It
I brought this up to J when I picked her up from work. She said that eating breakfast food during the morning is cheating and shows a lack of imagination. I was glad I had swallowed my water. or it would have been all over.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Usually on days I work, I have yogurt or hot cereal for breakfast. Of course with coffee.

On the weekends though, it's closer to brunch or even lunch, and is "breakfast food"... Sometimes. Sometimes it's not.

Dinner... Is usually "dinner" but just last night we had chorizo and egg burritos for dinner. Because it sounded good. I was going to make a turkey sausage, spinach and cheese quiche, but the sausage went bad. Sigh.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
...And lox... OMG. Now I want lox for dinner.
I always have room for lox...ALWAYS. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't have room for lox very often. I remember when I had the cattery, husband and I having to lock ourselves in the bathroom to eat lox n' bagels. We had everything from fanged tribbles to long-tailed lynx attacking us otherwise.