speech evaluation

Ktllc

Well... while I'm waiting for the psychoeval in September, I've asked for a speech evaluation referral which has just been granted. Yeah!
He was an early talker (would speek in sentences by 12months old). I would you to joke that difficult child could speak before his older brother!
But as he grows older, it is becoming more apparent that he does not seem to understand what is said around him. Even his brother has noticed and ask the other day "why don't you understand stuff???!!!". It has both husband and I quite puzzled because he is so verbal. But it is often completly off topic or has no logicical link (at least to us). I started reading about Asperger's and he does fit the criteria pretty good except for a few things: his tone of voice is not weird (although can be way to loud than necessary) and he is not obsessed by one topic. He likes vehicles but I think it is within normal.
Has any of your kids been tested for comprehension issues while being very verbal and therefor kind of "fooling" everyone unless paying close attention?

nvts

My oldest is 12 and we're going through the wringer with him now. He was speaking in short sentences at 10 mos. Eloquent, intelligent, brilliant. Comprehension? Not a bit...he can study, memorize spelling words for a test and then if he has to put them in a sentence the following day, it's all back to phonetic spelling and words being used wrong.

Get the testing done and make sure you spell out ALL of your concerns...it'll make things go more smoothly!

Beth

Malika

Hi Ktllc. I recognise some of what you say... trouble is, I have so little knowledge/understanding of neurological issues... though the professionals around me don't seem to have that much more.
For a long time, it seemed to me that there was something strange or at least unusual about J's talking and comprehension. It often seemed slightly surreal, nothing to do with what was happening or the conversation around him... what you say about your boy reminds me of this. He seemed rather delayed in comprehension, though I would say both that he is generally bright and that his speech development was normal (ie average). Like your boy, he is also VERY talkative, often chattering away nineteen to the dozen. However, in the past couple of months, this strangeness in his talk (not that iit's without charm or humour) has begun to change... his conversation is much more normal and "on subject". I would therefore say that it is a question, perhaps, of delayed development; I think your son is a bit younger than mine so possibly you will find that he will similarly start to improve as he nears his fifth birthday? You mention Asperger's in relation to your son but I'm certain that J doesn't have Asperger's, so that is a difference. However, I believe there are developmental/brain issues here that probably do not come under one easy label.
As I say, I wish I weren't so in the dark about all this...

Ktllc

I've just taled to husband about "my findings", the fact that difficult child seems to only understand a fw key words and then just connect the dots (kind of like when learning a foreign language). It all came back to husband: he used to do that as a child!! We know husband had a learning disability (for lack of better term) but until I put it into words and try to describe what I "see" with difficult child, husband could not explain what his problem was/is. husband never got he help he desperatly needed as a child. And as we continue our journey to help our son, husband's childhood memories come back. husband finally received some help from a teacher when he was around 12 and she taught him how to read before being transfered. He tells me how happy and greatful he was to meet this teacher: the first person that recognized that he was not a "dummy", just that he had a problem and needed help. I wish we knew what husband diagnosis was... it would help difficult child. I know husband still has issues and I compensate for him a lot. He is a VERY intelligent man, but yet struggles with reading (I read out loud for him), find it difficult to express ideas and choose the right words. It makes me hopeful for difficult child: what ever his issues are, he can live a happy productive life like his dad. But it also scares me: it is also a hard life full of misunderstanding and doors closing because of people that judge and could careless. husband and I are a team: if I put him on the right track, he can reach for the stars, but without my help he can also get lost in the "wong game" very fast.
At the end of our conversation, husband told me "It took 40 years, and then you came along and understood what nobody could",. We are definitely not going to wait 40 yeras for our little boy!
Malika, if you suspect some speech issues, don't wait and have J evaluated. It can't hurt. My older boy had to go through speech therapy and it was like a playdate to him. He now is completely caught up (bilingual) and starts reading short stories.

Malika

That's interesting about the link with your husband. Was/is he dyslexic, does he think? I feel it's important that your husband has this experience of and understanding for one aspect of your son's difficulties.
J is bilingual too and has actually recently had a "bilan orthophonique". According to the speech therapist, who saw him four times altogether, his speech is normal, he has assimilated French very well, he is intelligent and quick but she suspects a possible learning disability because of his difficulty with colours. At the age of four and a half, he still reliably recognises only a few colours, either in French or English. I have read that this can be an early sign of dyslexia. How is your boy with colours??

Ktllc

He actually is very good with colors (and has been for years). When he was tested at school, he was at the 6 year old range for colors... That's the story of my son: flies under the radar of basic evaluations because he is quite advanced in some area. For example: he can understand some abstract concepts (the job of a therapist, the concept of working to get money and then be able to spend it...) but is incapable of remembering the letters A and B or rephrasing a little story that was read to him.... He also showed an advanced vocabulary during the standarized, but he gets lost in a conversation (something they don't test at school). Your son will be in "grande section de maternelle" in september, correct? If it's the case, his teacher should start all the pre-reading skills this coming year and you should be able to have more insights. (providing she respects the program which I know is not always the case)

InsaneCdn

You'll want to start doing your own research, so you have some idea of the terms of reference likely to be used...

Meanwhile, for starters, look up things like:
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder (Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), difficulty processing verbal information - these kids can read and comprehend, but don't "get it" nearly as well when spoken)
- verbal and/or language processing disorders (difficulty working with words, both spoken or written)

There are ways of getting a diagnosis as an adult - not as familiar with the US system... here (Canada), I'd send you to the nearest learning disabilities association. There are advantages to pursuing this, even after so many years...
- he may qualify for supports or protections because of his disability
- if it is even remotely related to what your son is dealing with (reasonable probability), it may be information that helps your son deal with the diagnosis in the long run

Ktllc

Insane, thank you so much!!
Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) fits my husband to a T, I read some of the characteristic to him and he was shoked as well! He has every single caracteristic listed.
It is actually highly possible that difficult child suffers from the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) as well. Which would explain he kind of, but not really fit the high functioning autism profile. I read that Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) can often be misdiagnosed with autism or ADD (one could have both though...).
I obviously can't make the diagnosis myself, but it will be a good start for the evaluation coming in september.
Thanks again!

InsaneCdn

I read that Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) can often be misdiagnosed with autism or ADD (one could have both though...).

Interestingly, Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), ADD/ADHD and Working Memory problems all present many of the same symptoms... and yes, you can have all three!