Speech isn't going well.

Jamieh

My youngest son is almost 4 and has Apraxia. He has speech weekly but has always struggled with doing it. He will have 1 good session then like 3 bad ones. He will either cry or refuse to participate. His therapist even started coming to our house instead of me taking him to the clinic. I feel so bad for his ST. She is so sweet but says that she has never had a case like him. She said he's textbook apraxia but she doesn't really know how to help him because he isn't able to do the therapy he needs. He has been in speech since before he was 2. I'm just kind of discouraged and it stinks. I want so bad for him to do well and participate in therapy but I can't make him do it. He has to decide that. I have tried everything. He is starting to pick up some new words and we get so excited when we hear new sounds and words. He just learned to say 'No' in the last week. It's so awesome to hear him respond with something other than grunts. His ST says that he needs 3-4 sessions a week but our insurance will not cover it. He gets speech thru the school system at the dev. preschool he attends. so he is getting 2 sessions right now from 2 separate therapists. Any ideas of stuff I can do with him at home? I don't think his therapist is going to continue to see him. we may be moving to a diff clinic or trying to find funding to get him more help. Our insurance has denied all coverage because he does not have Autism. I had a hard time keeping myself from crying when I talked to his therapist. I feel like it's always something with- both of my boys.

buddy

Can you describe what kinds of activities she is having him do?

Is she in a clinic with Occupational Therapist (OT)/pt equipment?

I tend to work with little ones using their choice of play...sand, playdough, swings, spinning.....

Any media where you can repeat sounds. (pouring sand in a cup then pat it, you can say a syllable or word...pa pa pa...then do it again...they typically will start to do similar) I have never ever worked with flashcards or formal tasks like that through kindergarten (or developmentally that age)

Now, if he is unable to play, imitate, etc..at all.....then I would get to a neuropsychologist and see if there may be a bigger issue going on.

Does he try to communicate in a wide.variety of ways?...., requesting things, showing you things, does he come to you and join in with things you show (like pointing out a window at a plane...will he come and make airplane noises with you?)

Maybe the therapist can do sessions with you to show what to do during the week, then you can grab times he is cooperative and do what is suggested.

I know out is hard.

This Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) may be great but not great for you. Q has had many of those.

BusynMember

Apraxia happens for a reason. Are you positive 100% that he doesn't have autism? Who diagnosed him?
If so, what else do you think is going on?

I'm still betting that eventually he'll get an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. Grunting, pulling Dad and Mom, and pointing is pretty typical for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). It runs in families and he is so young it may be too young to tell. As far as I have heard, the only other time there is apraxia is when a child is traumatize into silence. Or if there is an abnormality in his mouth which stops speech. Has he seen a neuropsychologist?

I wish you good luck. This must be very difficult.

buddy

http://www.apraxia-kids.org/guides/family-start-guide/

Many kids with general genetic and neurological disorders (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), down syndrome, etc) have childhood apraxia of speech.

But not all kids with apraxia of speech have other conditions. It is a motor planning disorder and just like other motor disorders can stand alone.

However, in your case, there is already suspicion of a family member with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). It will be very wise to be alert and get input especially if he really can't participate in therapy and of you are at all concerned about any other issues. Keep aware of those things you are learning about Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and know that two kids in a family with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) can be totally different.

Jamieh

Z is pretty neurotypical in all other areas. He just doesn't talk. He is able to control his emotions and has no problems at preschool. His teacher says he is one of the best behaved kids in his class and always listens. When he was evaluated for the preschool speech and social skills were his only deficits. And the only reason that social skills was added was because he isn't able to communicate to talk to other kids or his teacher. I really don't think he has any other issues other than the apraxia. His therapist has tried *everything* with him. I honestly feel like he is just being stubborn. He is very had to get to warm up to people. When we lived in NC he had a ST and it took him about 8 months to actually start participating with her in play therapy. And we moved shortly after. That was the hardest part of the move. I felt awful because he had just started to make progress. His current ST is trying to do some PROMPT therapy with him. And it helps when he allows her to touch his face. I honestly think thats why he picked up 'NO' because she's been prompting him for that. She has tried play based therapy and flash cards. but as soon as she gets out the flash cards he shuts down. She has bribed him with- candy....this poor lady. I always feel just terrible because he just refuses to do the work. And he gets so frustrated when we can't understand him. But I really do think that his issues are just the motor planning thing. He actually just recently started being able to smile when we told him to. before he always had such a serious face in pics. lol

buddy

Have you considered use of an augmentative communication system like sign language or pecs or electronic options to help bridge the communication frustration while working on speech?

Just curious, since he can't communicate with other kids, how does he show you that he is able to play imaginatively and how does he play with other kids?

I really would check into another therapist before just not having one, if this one quits.

Flashcards and other methods that don't take his lead may just be too much of a power struggle right now. Just an idea....

Jamieh

He actually uses sign language. We did download some apps on his kindle that he can use to tell us stuff. But he rarely uses it in a serious way. He will mostly ask for cheeseburgers for breakfast or tell me has to go potty then laugh. He is getting a lot better about playing with other kids. He is really quiet but he will interact appropriately with them. His current Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) is going to come to his IEP meeting and see what he is doing at school during speech. She is going to try and get him in at the university because they have a weighted fee schedule and he may be able to get 3-4 sessions for a discounted rate. She promised me that she wouldn't leave us without any help. I will have him in therapy somewhere. It's just frustrating.

BusynMember

Speech and social issues are what Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) children have. A lot of them don't' have behavioral problems. I'm still betting on a later Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) issue, and I think you should get a second opinion. Kids don't get "stubborn" and just refuse to talk at home or at school. Sounds like he really can't talk.
Now my oldest daughter Julie did not speak in preschool for an entire year. Weird, I know. She talked fine at home, but wouldn't say a word at school. She was very shy. The second year though she did speak and she always spoke at home.
Back to Sonic, my Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kid, he did really well with sign language and just gesturing and pulling and grunting with expression (lol) until he broke into speech (and it happened almost overnight) when he was 4 1/2. I mean, he had echoed, but never spoken a sentence. One day...he just spoke and he has never stopped. He never even had articulation problems. I was told that this is not uncommon with autistic kids...one day they can't, the next day they do. They have uneven development!
Good luck! :)

Ktllc

Another thought, if you have the option, you might want to request a male therapist. Since he is a boy, he might connect to a male therapist better.
And like others said, sometimes even a good therapist is not a good match for a specific child. It does not mean the child can't learn, it's a matter of finding a therapist that has this "magic", this extra intuition to know what the child needs and how to turn situations around.
Sweet Pea will go into some phases during which she stops talking during speech sessions... It's like a button is switched and she won't say a word anymore. So your child is not the only one! It happens.
I'm glad Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) will go to his preschool. Consistency across enevironments is key if we want our atypical kids to make progress.