Stabbed Himself in the leg with-a Pencil!!??

4timmy

I got a call from the principal today. (This is only day 3 of the first week back to school by the way.) difficult child stabbed himself in the leg with a pencil because he wasn't picked to present something in class. :confused:

My husband picked him up from school. He says it's not too bad, but we have to keep a bandage on it. Brand new pants ruined too (I know I shouldn't care about the pants but I can't help it)

Anyone else have issues with difficult child seriously hurting themselves over what would seem to be something trivial?

Marguerite

Patch the pants. The hole shouldn't be too big, maybe a darn would do it. The blood will wash out if you soak it in cold water, then cold wash only. A splash of vinegar in the water might help.

The self-injury thing can be a way to distract from the emotion (to avoid himself reacting inappropriately by crying or screaming) or it can be a way of producing a phsyical injury to match the emotional pain.

Get him to a counsellor, he needs to find more appropriate ways to express his pain. Beter still, find a more appropriate way to manage his emotional pain.

Otherwise - don't let it upset you.

if you need tips on patching or darning invisibly, let me know. been there done that.

Marg

Steely

Yep, my son used to bite himself, or bang his head if he did something or had something happen that he was mad at himself over. As recent as a year ago, at 17, he would still sometimes bite his arm when frustrated.

You are not alone.

Has a mood disorder been considered by the psychiatrist?

Hugs.

TerryJ2

So sorry he wasn't picked and that he was upset.
He is learning ... the hard way.
I would repair the pants and not say much about it. I've seen "regular" kids do stuff like that, and it ends up being a bigger deal--slamming hand on the desk, and breaking a wrist, by accident ... maybe he does that sort of thing instead of yelling, "Aarrrgggh!"
I hope the principal didn't make too big a deal out of it. (Even though at that moment, it WAS a big deal to your son.)
by the way, pencils no longer are made from lead. They are graphite.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child usually lashes out at others and not himself but wanted to send some supportive hugs your way.

house of cards

Your post was a sad reminder that as hard as it is to parent our difficult children, it can be so much harder on them, I've described mine at times as "tortured from within". Hopefully it was a momentary thing but such a level of pain. Hugs to you both.

4timmy

Thanks for the support and kind words from all.

The pants are fine... just a couple of very small holes. There were 3 punctures that were pretty deep. He cried and screamed too.

He said they were picking examples of students for the honor roll (??) Anyways, I explained it really wasn't worth getting that upset over. I told him I already know how smart he is and he said "I am smart!" (Bless his heart)

psychiatrist has him on Zyprexa for mood, but we give that at night before bed, and that just doesn't make much sense to me..... She switched to Zyprexa from Risperdal. We see a counselor every other week. I usually email him an update prior to our appointment.

Would the school want to kick him out for harming himself?? Teachers tend to freak out over this behavior. The principal too.

TerryJ2

I love it when they say stuff like that.

I would hope the school wouldn't kick him out for that. Our school wouldn't. Unless it became a habit, too distressing and distracting for the other kids and for the difficult child.

Fern Fields

Thanks for the support and kind words from all.

The pants are fine... just a couple of very small holes. There were 3 punctures that were pretty deep. He cried and screamed too.

He said they were picking examples of students for the honor roll (??) Anyways, I explained it really wasn't worth getting that upset over. I told him I already know how smart he is and he said "I am smart!" (Bless his heart)

psychiatrist has him on Zyprexa for mood, but we give that at night before bed, and that just doesn't make much sense to me..... She switched to Zyprexa from Risperdal. We see a counselor every other week. I usually email him an update prior to our appointment.

Would the school want to kick him out for harming himself?? Teachers tend to freak out over this behavior. The principal too.
These drugs are very toxic and only used in dire adult cases. Surely it is damaging for a child to be given Zyprexa . After Risperadol. I think it quite irresponsible of the doctor. I think Zyprexa would only make behavior and emotion much worse and disordered. I hope your child can be off these drugs. There are cognitive ways to help a child feel better and express themselves verbally. All children benefit from more parental affection. I recall my parents did not know or realize this and as a sensitive and lonely child I stabbed myself in the thigh with a pencil. The point was embedded in the flesh. I finally told my mother and showed her and I recall hoping she would soak it or remove it. All she did was say,"it wont hurt you".
At 65 it is still there though under the skin. My emotional disorder and severe loneliness simply needed affection and to be tucked in at bedtime, which my mother refused. When I asked to be tucked in at bedtime and that I couldn't sleep (I was desperately lonely), she refused and gave me phenobarbital several times at least(age 8-9) and then also belladonna, told me to go upstairs back to bed, no hug , no kind loving words. She said,"put the radio on".
Loving affection, reading to, talking always helps more than belladonna or Zyprexa ever could.
I have had lifetime problems as a result.
And I guess they wondered why I cried.

Copabanana

I guess they wondered why I cried.

Dear Fern

I am so very sorry that your mother didn't give you the love and care that you needed and longed for, and so much deserved. I know what that feels like. And I know from my own experience that the hurt and tears last a lifetime.

It was painful to read about the wounding with the pencil and how your mother responded.

I am glad that you posted here. Your words and experience are necessary for all of us to know.

Last edited:

ksm

That is heart breaking...I am sure your mom had some issues and did not know how to show love and affection. Maybe she suffered as a child too. Whatever the reason, it was not your fault. I hope you are finding ways to do self care, because you deserve it. Ksm