Stay-at-home mom or not?

Pink Elephant

I believe you, Pink. All necks of the woods are different. And rural vs. city are night and day. And rich vs. poor.

I remember seeing a diaper service truck with a big blue safety pin as a decoration when I was at home. I don't see them anymore at all.

If I had used them out if no choice I would have had a diaper service.
Yep, I totally agree, SOT. Rural vs big city made all the difference.

Yes, diaper service vans were always white, with a picture of a baby wearing a diaper on the sides, or a big diaper pin. We had a diaper service in our area up until around 1988. I only ever knew of one mother that went the route of a service, all other mothers washed their own diapers, and everyone used a clothesline to dry them.

Pink Elephant

I admit, I did consider cloth diapers when my son was little. Not pins and rubber pants, they make the ones now with snaps or Velcro.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-I...466001f5-42d90bc-3894627f968f5a71&athena=true

But since I always worked and all daycare facilities require disposable, I just decided it wasn't worth the hassle at home.
Back in the 80's, safety pins and rubber pants were the standard. In fact it was all that was available, and I was perfectly at home with it, but wow, those fancy new modern cloth diapers are pretty nifty. A part of me still loves the old-fashioned way of cloth diapering, but I could definitely see myself trying the modern out if I was doing the baby thing today. No more folding. LOL! :)

BusynMember

In the 80s where I lived they didn't even sell cloth diapers and there were new and creative disposables...lol. some had decorations.

Pink Elephant

In the 80s where I lived they didn't even sell cloth diapers and there were new and creative disposables...lol. some had decorations.
I don't remember disposables, but I do remember Zellers, carrying rubber pants with nursery prints on them. I was never big on diapering my kids in anything fancy. In my world, diapers shouldn't be fancy or cute. Diapers should be utilitarian, even ugly in fact, but I have to admit I bought a few pairs of those cute little printed pants just for a change. A change from using plain white rubber pants all the time.

Lil

I barely remember rubber pants at all. But some disposables used to have "magic" pictures. When the diaper was wet, you could see the design appear. I wonder if they still make those.

Pink Elephant

I barely remember rubber pants at all. But some disposables used to have "magic" pictures. When the diaper was wet, you could see the design appear. I wonder if they still make those.
Well, Lil, I do remember Fitti diapers from the early 90's. They had balloons on the them that turned a different colour when the diaper was wet. Gosh, whatever happened to the days of checking diapers? With my kids I used to pull-back the waistband of their rubber pants or stick a finger inside one of the leg elastics to check. When babysitting I'd do the same or if it was disposable diapers that were being used, I'd open up a tape on one side of the diaper to check. Also used to be able to check for a wet diaper (cloth or disposable) by holding your hand against the kids diapered butt and pushing up a few times. A wet diaper was heavy and the padding (if disposable) would clump.

I do remember when pink and blue disposable diapers hit the market, too. Have no idea who made them.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I don't miss diapers. I was glad to see them become history for our family.And I never saw those rubber pants and barely remember rubber pants at all, but I do remember disposables that changed when wet. Eeewwww! What an idea lol. Your kid pees and the diaper turns from a rabbit to a clown or whatever it did.

AppleCori

I sort of miss the baby days, not all the time, but sometimes... however, as for the diapers, no thank you. Don't miss the terrible-twos either!

I liked the baby days pretty well, but my favorite age is elementary. About four to twelve.

They don’t have to be watched every minute and they are fun to teach and play with. No more tantrums, for the most part, yet no teen angst, either.

BusynMember

I raised five. One left but I raised him from age six. I am no longer missing those days but I adored them when I did them!

I am really enjoying my kids as adults and if course my granddaughter.

Pink Elephant

AppleCori. Was it you that mentioned that you used those pink and blue coloured disposable diapers back in the day?

Last edited:

BusynMember

Most I knew didn't pay the eXtra money for fancy diapers. I used the store brand, except for nights. I got the heavy, abdorbant diapers for overnight. But I didn't use them during the day. And none had designs on them. Nobody saw the diapers. I preferred cute clothes to cute diapers. Diapers were not a big deal.

Pink Elephant

Most I knew didn't pay the eXtra money for fancy diapers. I used the store brand, except for nights. I got the heavy, abdorbant diapers for overnight. But I didn't use them during the day. And none had designs on them. Nobody saw the diapers. I preferred cute clothes to cute diapers.
This is what I remember, too. Plain white diapers, no colours, no designs, no nothing.

Had a neighbour that used to fold a plain cloth diaper into thirds to form a long pad that she'd put into her kids disposable diapers at nighttime to make them more absorbent.

BusynMember

As you can imagine, not me lol. My kids did fine with the sleep absorbancy diapers. Diapers we're not anything I fussed over. My kids did fine, no diaper rash, no fuss, no mess. I spent more time dressing them up cute. That was my interest. Cute clothes on my kids :)

Did you do garage sales??? I used to take my kiddos with me to one garage sale after another. I collected wonderful kid clothes in great shape, much of it name brand, and my kids really dressed to the nine's. I also picked up other stuff plus toys to keep my littles interested in garage sales...most toys we're very cheap. That's how I dressed my kids nicely until they were too old to like second hand clothes. Even then sometimes they would come with me and pick out garage sale clothes. I loved garage sales.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

As you can imagine, not me lol. My kids did fine with the sleep absorbancy diapers. Diapers we're not anything I fussed over. My kids did fine, no diaper rash, no fuss, no mess. I spent more time dressing them up cute. That was my interest. Cute clothes on my kids :)
I agree, cute little outfits were the best! Loved it when I'd bath the kids just prior to bedtime, slick back their damp/wet hair, and stuff them into cute pyjamas, their cheeks all shinny and clean.

AppleCori

AppleCori. Was it you that mentioned that you used those pink and blue coloured disposable diapers back in the day?

Yes, I remember these.

I thought they helped, especially with the boy area!

You remember how the leakage would sometimes come out of the top with boys, rather that downwards? The extra padding helped with that, I thought.

Pink Elephant

Yes, I remember these.

I thought they helped, especially with the boy area!

You remember how the leakage would sometimes come out of the top with boys, rather that downwards? The extra padding helped with that, I thought.
I never realized until I found the ad and read it, that the padding was thicker in the front (for boys), and thicker in the middle (for girls). I thought they were just coloured.

Indeed I do remember how disposable diapers sometimes leaked at the waist with boys. I never had that problem with cloth diapers, I think because if wetness made it's way to the waist of the diaper, the elastic waistband of the rubber pants kept the wetness from escaping. Often (especially in the morning) my kids diapers would be soaked right to the safety pins.

My trick for dealing with drenched diapers in the morning was to pull back the front waistband of the rubber pants, remove the pins from the diaper, and pull off the rubber pants and diaper together as one. Straight into the diaper pail the sopping-wet bundle would go.

Last edited: