Stay-at-home mom or not?

AppleCori

I never realized until I found the ad and read it, that the padding was thicker in the front (for boys), and thicker in the middle (for girls). I thought they were just coloured.

Indeed I do remember how disposable diapers sometimes leaked at the waist with boys. I never had that problem with cloth diapers, I think because if wetness made it's way to the waist of the diaper, the elastic waistband of the rubber pants kept the wetness from escaping. Often (especially in the morning) my kids diapers would be soaked right to the safety pins.

The main reason I would never use cloth diapers—more work involved!

My goal in housekeeping is to do as little work as possible in as little time as possible.

I would rather do other things with my life.

I think that the way I keep house makes my life as easy as possible.

Pink Elephant

The main reason I would never use cloth diapers—more work involved!

My goal in housekeeping is to do as little work as possible in as little time as possible.

I would rather do other things with my life.

I think that the way I keep house makes my life as easy as possible.
Very true. Cloth was definitely more work than disposables... took slightly longer to change them, too, than the time it took to change a disposable.

Even though I never used disposable diapers, I do remember changing them every now and then when I used to babysit, and it took but a second to rip the tapes open and change. No folding, no pins, no rubber panties.

Me, too, Apple. The more simple, the better. :) I am so with you on that.

Last edited:

Lil

You remember how the leakage would sometimes come out of the top with boys, rather that downwards? The extra padding helped with that, I thought.

Funny, but that reminds me of my favorite moments with my son. When he was new, I'd get up for those middle of the night feedings and always nursed - though the poor kid would have starved if I hadn't also fed formula. He was so SLOW about it - he'd take an hour to drink a 4 oz bottle, which is part of the reason why my milk never really came in I think. But anyway, middle of the night, nursing was enough for him.

So I'd wake up and get him and just leave changing his diaper for later, figuring I'd get it after he ate - but it never failed that I'd kind of recline on this deep sectional I had, latch him on, and then I'd fall back asleep! I'd wake up in the morning and he'd be sound asleep on my chest with his little cheek nestled against my breast, so contented and warm and sweet and perfect. I never have ever felt that kind of love since; like my heart would just burst with it.

Of course, I'd also be soaked with pee. But you can't have everything. lol

Pink Elephant

Funny, but that reminds me of my favorite moments with my son. When he was new, I'd get up for those middle of the night feedings and always nursed - though the poor kid would have starved if I hadn't also fed formula. He was so SLOW about it - he'd take an hour to drink a 4 oz bottle, which is part of the reason why my milk never really came in I think. But anyway, middle of the night, nursing was enough for him.

So I'd wake up and get him and just leave changing his diaper for later, figuring I'd get it after he ate - but it never failed that I'd kind of recline on this deep sectional I had, latch him on, and then I'd fall back asleep! I'd wake up in the morning and he'd be sound asleep on my chest with his little cheek nestled against my breast, so contented and warm and sweet and perfect. I never have ever felt that kind of love since; like my heart would just burst with it.

What a sweet memory, Lil. :)

I remember using those stubby little 4 oz bottles in the very beginning, when my kids were newborns. So handy they were.

One memory I have related to baby messes, is burping. It never failed, I'd start my day off with a nice fresh clean top, and just like Murphy's Law, I'd start burping someone and my fresh clean top somehow always seemed to get the worst of it. LOL! Always used a folded cloth diaper draped over my shoulder, which sopped-up spit-ups super well, but it was those power spit-ups that always made their way onto the surface of the diaper and kept on flying onto my top!

Pink Elephant

I'd wake up and get him and just leave changing his diaper for later, figuring I'd get it after he ate
Isn't it funny how we change, Lil? When my first was born I checked and changed her constantly, even when she'd do the tiniest of piddles. Now with babies #2 and #3, I had relaxed somewhat, and by baby #4, diapers didn't even get a glance unless said kids rubber pants were sagging or I could smell the diaper! LOL!

AppleCori

What did everyone use over their shoulders when burping their children?

Usually, I would use a cloth diaper, which I don’t even remember where they came from. Sometimes, those ‘burp cloths’ that they sell, which weren’t nearly as absorbent. Sometimes a dish cloth in a pinch, but I usually just wore a cloth diaper on my shoulder.

My youngest didn’t spit up much, so I believe I mostly used the burp cloths in cute colors to match her outfits, but with the olders, cloth diapers, at least around the house.

Lil

Not a ton of messy burps with my son...I used a cloth diaper or a receiving blanket though it wasn't really all that much of an issue. But I guess if you eat that slow you don't build up a ton of gas.

Really, I would nurse the boy for an hour, then switch to the bottle, and it took an hour to feed him 4 oz. The La Leche woman went on about how I wasn't drinking enough (I was) or I wasn't eating enough (I gained 20 lbs in 2 months!). Then stated I had to feed him every two hours. It took two hours to feed him! If I fed him every two hours I'd never be doing anything else!!!

AppleCori

Not a ton of messy burps with my son...I used a cloth diaper or a receiving blanket though it wasn't really all that much of an issue. But I guess if you eat that slow you don't build up a ton of gas.

Really, I would nurse the boy for an hour, then switch to the bottle, and it took an hour to feed him 4 oz. The La Leche woman went on about how I wasn't drinking enough (I was) or I wasn't eating enough (I gained 20 lbs in 2 months!). Then stated I had to feed him every two hours. It took two hours to feed him! If I fed him every two hours I'd never be doing anything else!!!

OMG—the only ones I fed every two-three hours were my twins, and only in the very beginning, because they were smaller.

Pink Elephant

Usually, I would use a cloth diaper, which I don’t even remember where they came from. Sometimes, those ‘burp cloths’ that they sell, which weren’t nearly as absorbent. Sometimes a dish cloth in a pinch, but I usually just wore a cloth diaper on my shoulder.

My youngest didn’t spit up much, so I believe I mostly used the burp cloths in cute colors to match her outfits, but with the olders, cloth diapers, at least around the house.
Yep, good old-fashioned cloth diapers really did make for ideal burp-cloths didn't they!

Was just giving thought to baby washcloths, and how small they were, so with baby #2, #3, and #4, I remember how I got wiser and would use a cloth diaper (for wiping) when changing a dirty. Worked way better than those small washcloths.

AppleCori

I would just have my baby sleep with me. Then, when they cried for milk, I would just stick my boob in their mouth and go back to sleep.

Pink Elephant

LOL! Yes, I can't believe how long it would take your son to empty a small bottle. LOTS of time for proper digestion. ROFLMAO!

One thing I remember doing when my kids got gassed-up, was laying them over my lap (as if I was readying them for a spanking), and patting their diapered bottoms. In no time at all they'd be back to their normal selves. Worked like a charm, sometimes even putting them to sleep.

Pink Elephant

I remember the saying I coined when my kids were newborns. "The daily dozen", was my saying, representative of the number of diapers I'd go through in any given day (per kid). I was always changing them, one the hour, every hour.

BusynMember

I don't think I used anything. Being a stay at home mom, if a kid spit up, which was rare, i changed my shirt. I didn't wear nice clothes around the house. They were okay to spit up on :)

BusynMember

Honestly, I can't remember how I burped my infants. Must have held them and patted their backs. But once they could sit I think I sat them on my lap and burped them. Don't hold me to that lol. Like diapering, burping was not implanted in my memory as important...lol. If I sat them up to burp them then I didn't need a towel or a rag or whatever :)

Pink Elephant

Honestly, I can't remember how I burped my infants. Must have held them and patted their backs. But once they could sit I think I sat them on my lap and burped them. Don't hold me to that lol. Like diapering, burping was not implanted in my memory as important...lol. If I sat them up to burp them then I didn't need a towel or a rag or whatever :)
Sounds like you were a natural mother, SOT, doing all things (matter-a-fact like) without really thinking about it. Oh, yes... sitting older child on lap and burping them, I did that, too. Remember it well.

BusynMember

I never called it anything. I just called it being a mother lol. I just went with the flow. I just wanted badly to be a loving mother. Things like diapers don't require love to thrive so I didn't bother about them. I was kid-centric.

Pink Elephant

I never called it anything. I just called it being a mother lol. I just went with the flow. I just wanted badly to be a loving mother. Things like diapers don't require love to thrive so I didn't bother about them. I was kid-centric.
When I can I'm all about going with the flow, too. Helps keep the stress level down and everyone happy all around. :)