Substitute for Clonidine?

TerryJ2

Hi,
after reading about Elijah, and noting that my difficult child is only on 1/2 a 0.5 mg tablet of Clonidine, I'm wondering what to suggest to the psychiatrist on Mon.
The Zoloft was a total bust, if you all recall. No mood changes, but plenty of physical symtoms.
He did SO well on the Clonidine in the psychiatric hospital when he was first on it. But the dr doesn't want him to stay on it. She wants a "real" SSRI.
I've gotten good suggestions on my other threads but I am so confused right now ... I just want to reproduce the calming effects of the Clonidine. He is much less agitated and angry on it.
I realize no one can diagnosis here ... but I need ideas and feedback for the dr on Mon.
Thanks in advance.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Terry,
I can understand the calming effect of the Clonidine-it's been huge for my son and really does help him relax and fall asleep.

Before the Clonidine he was on Trazadone for sleep which actually worked well but they wanted difficult child off of all Anti-Depressants.

JJJ

Trazadone has a very sedating effect on my son and he had his only grand mal seizure while on it.

Clonodine has more of a soothing effect as it takes the edge off and helps him sleep if he is tired but doesn't know him out if he isn't. He's on 2.5mg/day (using the 0.1mg tabs 1/2 tab 3times per day and 1 tab at night).

If the Clonodine is working, why mess with an SSRI - they have worse side effects.

TerryJ2

Hmmm... this confirmed my gut reaction. Why mess with-a good thing?
I will see if I can discuss it with-her on Mon. She's into statistics and the latest studies. I just want her to see my son as a real person. I'll let you know what happens.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
She's into statistics and the latest studies. I just want her to see my son as a real person.

THAT'S frustrating. I do not like doctors who are only able to quote the PDR or some other definitive "guide" to make their treatment decisions. Like you said, what about actually looking at the patient in front of you and thinking about their history and how they respond?

I will never, ever leave our psychiatrist (barring some egregious mistake) because he treats based on patient response, and uses his knowledge of medications and their studies as a guide, not as the be-all end-all for making decisions.

Hope you and the psychiatrist can come up with an effective plan for difficult child on Monday!

H

HaoZi

Kapvay is simply the extended release version of clonidine. Kiddo uses both - kapvay in the morning, clonidine at night.

Steely

Yes, why mess with a good thing - clonidine was great for Matt - I can't imagine why a dr would want to switch to an ssri if it has proven ineffective.

TerryJ2

My, this is an old note, lol!
Well, suffice to say, the SSRI did NOT work for difficult child and we no longer use that psychiatrist. :)
We still supplement with-clonidine.

InsaneCdn

Hi, essence.
Welcome to the board!

Like most of us when we came here, it takes a bit to figure out how to navigate and our modus operandi!
You'll find you get more, and more tailored, responses if you start a new thread.
We'd also like to "meet" you... can you tell us a little of what brought you here? (by starting a new thread... if you can't figure that out, just ask... )

Thanks.