Taser Party

mom_in_training

I want one of those.... Do not know if its even legal where I am. What has this world come to? It sure is a better way of protecting yourself though. It would be my choice of weapon for sure.

donna723

I think it's kind of scary thinking about these being made available to the general public! The potential for misuse is HUGE!

And it wouldn't be just the people buying them for self-defense and protection that would have them ... the CRIMINALS would have them too! Purse snatchers, muggers, or even rapists ... armed with tasers! How scary is that!

trinityroyal

My biggest worry with Tasers is that for anyone with a health condition involving the heart, these things can be deadly.

And as Donna723 pointed out, making them accessible to the general public means that the bad guys have them too. Eeek!

mom_in_training

Yes I thought about the heart conditions as well but if I had this as protection and had to put it to use then so be it, I guess it would come down to me or him. Its controversial I suppose and it would be bad that " Purse snatchers, muggers, or even rapists" get their grubby hands on them to aid in their criminal behavior. Geeze, I suppose it could get out of control if they are that accessable but then again criminals have a way of getting guns that kill and that in itself is out of control. Way to many guns on the streets and that scares me more then tasers.

donna723

If these are the same kind of tasers that are used in law enforcement, they can be extremely dangerous even in the hands of professionals and require extensive training to handle and use them properly. We have tasers at the prison where I work and they're kept under lock and key - only the shift captain can approve their use and only in extreme conditions where all other means have failed. And the people who use them have to take classes on how to use them safely and are required to be "zapped" themselves to become certified to use the tasers. We've had big, strong 250-pound tact team members on the floor in tears, and it took some of them hours to recover from the electric shock! And there IS a risk in people who have certain heart conditions, so they're only used as a last resort, even on convicted felons. Definitely not for amateurs.

They're certainly nothing to carry around casually in your purse or to be anywhere that children or adventurous teenagers could possibly get hold of them! And you have to be TRAINED in how to use them correctly for them to be effective. Use them wrong and you won't disable your attacker, you just make him MAD! And assuming that a man who is attacking you will be bigger than you are, there is the very real possibility that he will get it away from you and use it against you. Also, you can't use a taser from a distance - you would have to wait until they were right next to you to hit them with a taser. And just try to imagine looking out your window and seeing your children chasing each other around the yard with the taser that they found in your purse!

These things have absolutely no business being sold to the general public. They're much too dangerous, especially for someone not trained to use them, and the potential for misuse or accidents is simply too high. Much better to get yourself some mace or pepper spray and carry that in your purse!

donna723

To clarify - I'm not so worried about the "safety" of someone who is trying to attack you - those scumbags deserve everything they get. The problem comes with these being made available to the general public ... even sold at parties like Tupperware! Until you've seen them in action, you have no idea how dangerous these things can be in untrained hands and what could happen if children were to get access to them. Stick to the pepper spray, please!

DammitJanet

I heard somewhere...I think on the news or something...about a new combo tazer/Mp3 player for women. Now isnt that what all the fashionable, up and coming women are wearing these days!

susiestar

Roll With It
I think I saw something about this a week or so ago. I would bet that the attacker would turn it against me and use it.

Statistics say that most of the time when a homeowner has a gun it is used against him in a crime.

I love target shooting, but won't have a gun in the house. We do ask other parents if they have a gun in the house and if it is locked up securely before the kids have sleepovers or get togethers. Some people get really upset (like the one who kept a loaded gun under her van seat!!!) but guns scare me in the hands of people who don't know how to use them properly and how to lock them up properly.

Taser Parties sound funny, but I think a self defense course would be a much much better choice.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm an 8th degree leather belted, rhino skinned, HMJ drinking, chicken liver dancing in the moonlight, pink snapper riding, Warrior Mom who survived a 13 year abusive marriage, able to leap tall IEP's in a single bound, had to deal with my share of political kaka, Nasty looks from women who think they know how to parent my kid better, been the neighborhood pariah, got kicked out of church for sons behaviors, dealt with pastors, and "church-going" well meaning but two faced people, I've done everything, with practically nothing for so long I am now able to do any task to the best of my ability while whistling dixie, changing a diaper, stopping the third world war in a goldfish pond, separating 2 pit bulls from fighting over a Cheeto on waxed linoleum floor - and while I would NEVER welcome an attack - if I were a mugger I would be WAY more afraid of ME than I would a bug zapper.

(thinks about it for a minute) yup.....

susiestar

Roll With It
You know what has always scared me, rotary cutters. It is strange, but think about the damage one could do in a gang fight, or any fight against a person. The guards are easily removed, I had a very good quality one and the guear just came off, making it very very dangerous.

susiestar

Roll With It
OK, I kknow the rotary cutter comment was strange, but they are so easy to buy, and at one point we were afraid difficult child would take one and threaten someone with it. They can do SOOOO much damage. Just think about it.

Tasers are quite expensive, we would have to forgo a LOT to get one. A rotary cutter is under $20 and anyone can get one.

Life is just strange sometimes.

I do know I was a tad freaked out when my mom talked about possibly going to a taser party!

Susie