Teeth All Gone

susiestar

Roll With It
My teeth are out. The pain isn't that bad. I am quite surprised so far. I think tomorrow is going to be really bad. I usually do pretty good the first day and then it hite on the second or third.

The doctor was awesome. The place was really nice too. You walk in and it is all wood paneling and nice chairs and coffee table books instead of magazines. You go back to a conference room and finish the paperwork and the xray is put up on a big screen. Then the doctor comes in, you talk, he goes to get things set up and you go to a nice room with a recliner. The doctor puts an iv in himself, and they give you medications, then they help you into the OR and put you under. You wake up in the recliner, get instructions and go home.

I had the doctor and the staff laughing quite a bit. I got a copy of the panoramic xray and for Halloween I am going to copy it onto a transparency (like for overhead projectors). I will cut a big opening for the mouth of a pumpkin, put that xray in it with a light. Won't it look AWESOME??? The paperwork lady was surpised. She never thought of that. I think they could do a bunch and it would look great around the office, lol!

Part of the reason I said that is because he hadn't really seen how bad my teeth were. He looked so sad at thinking how it must hurt to have them all messed up like that. Not a single tooth was intact. But I still intend to make the pumpkins!

I shocked the doctor a few times during the consult. As we discussed medications he was really worried about how much of the medications to give me because I am on pain medications and muscle relaxers. He got a very relieved look when I said I took the stomach medications and skipped the medications that would interfere with the anesthesia. I also had the aftercare medications except for antibiotics and some diflucan already set up. He discussed the possiblity of implants instead of dentures, but when I explained the vit D situation he agreed that implants were not the best way to go. He said the odds are that it would be very expensive, painful, and the risk of failure was very high.

The doctor had a tough time getting the iv in. Took trial in four places, twice in one of them. He kept apologizing. He finally got one enough in to give me the versed and get me into the OR and get a better line in. Whatever they did worked, lol.

husband has been very sweet. Wanting to indulge me and get anything I wanted. We did stop at WM on the way to the docs. (Ys, I did go shopping right before surgery. It isn't like I could go after!) We only have a personal size blender that is husband's and no one else is supposed to use it. That was part of the gift of it as once the kids get a hold of it, parts go missing or it gets broken. Our WM had personal size ones or else ones with glass jars. Mostly a glass jar is great, but when you drop things the way j and I do? Plastic is vastly better. We found one in WM in the city and it has already been used a few times. J is trying to make an iced mocha the way they do at the bookstore. She is getting close. husband commented that I am likely one of a very few people who goes shopping on the way to surgery. I smiled. What did he expect from the woman who went garage saling for a couple of hours the morning of our wedding? He laughed when I mentioned it.

Anyway, that is the story of my teeth.

But I still have proof that I am my Daddy's Princess. I brought the gold crowns home, lol. Tooth still attached. The kids think they are cool.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yes.........tomorrow you will feel it. Actually late tonight you'll probably feel it.

Advice?

scrambled eggs
tomato soup
cream of mushroom soup
chicken noodle soup
jello
pudding
ice cream
oat meal
cream o wheat
mashed potatoes

Things you can basically swallow without chewing for the first week.

Later:

ground beef (fried up loose until just done)
mac & cheese
meat loaf
chicken baked until really tender (crock pot does this well)

You can grow the list from there as you heal and it doesn't bother you. When you heal enough to have the dentures, other than soup you'll start all over again on foods you can basically just swallow until you feel more comfortable adding in other food to chew. I didn't get good at crunchy things for quite a long while. Only cereals I can eat are cheerios and corn flakes........I dunno.....the others just are sort of yuk with dentures still. lol

Glad it went well. Be kind to yourself the next few days and really really take it easy.

(((hugs)))

DDD

Sending support your way. I can't even imagine your experience but I am on your team. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

I still cant do noodles! We had spaghetti the other night and I couldnt eat it. Tony is always trying to give me chicken noodle soup and expecting it to be healing and its not. Now I can sip the broth from wonton soup and love that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Noodles, especially some types take a bit. Macaroni is not too bad if you cook it nice and soft almost mushy.

Shoot, now, I still can't do spaghetti noodles and fettuccine ect is not so easy either......this is with new teeth. Macaroni though works just fine........as does egg noodles. I think because they cook up softer. It's not a big deal I just make my spaghetti with macaroni noodles lol

I hope you're doing ok today Susie.

((hugs))

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks all. Today was a bit rougher. My upper gums are very swollen now and the jaw pain is starting to get bad. Sometimes it feels like there isn't enough room in my mouth for my tongue. NOT due to any dangerous reaction, just because the swelling and things feeling strange.

The sinuses are the annoying part to me. My nose is all dry and gets super stuffy due to the swelling in that area.

Going out for another hot pack for my head and cold pack for the swollen area. I can almost NEVER use cold on anything because it sends my muscles into major spasms. I am sure I have mentioned this in the past. But now it seems to be helping the mouth area as long as I keep a hot back on my neck and shoulders. It feels odd, lol.

(((((hugs))))) and thank you so much!

susiestar

Roll With It
husband and the kids are now letting me know the things I did and said right after the surgery and at home after I took medications but before I fell asleep. Lots of "Rawr!" with my gums bared, lol. Seems at one point one of the nurses had to go into the other room because you are not supposed to laugh at your patient.

I guess I am a happy sedated person. At least on those drugs. RAWR!

DammitJanet

Tony still does the Rawr at the grandkids...lol. They think him taking his teeth out is the funniest thing on earth.

Lisa, I have to use macaroni or ziti or something like that. I have found something that is extremely easy to eat...potstickers. Especially if you microwave them because they are very soft. They sell them in the chinese section of the frozen food section.