Ten best states to live in

BusynMember

By education, healchcare, employment rate, education, crime rate, home values per government data.

1. New Hampshire
2. Massachusetts
3. Hawaii
4. New Jersey (shocked me but NJ is listed as a quality state in more than one list and has low crime as a whole, which surprised me)
5. Connecticut
6. Minnesota
7. Vermont
8. Rhode Island
9. Virginia
10. Maryland

ahhjeez

Looks like my state made the list. We've got amazing hospitals less than an hour from me which is awesome. It is just incredibly expensive to live here. House and rent prices are absolutely through the roof.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
SWOT, it's true New Jersey has a very low crime rate as a whole. But then yeah there are a few towns where most people won't ever go to. You would be surprised how many towns in New Jersey are actually rural with beautiful landscapes, forests and farms. I guess I can agree it's best for the things listed, most likely due to the close proximity to NYC but there are other things to consider. The taxes are driving people and businesses out of the state in record numbers currently. Can you guess which state I live in? :)

BusynMember

Lol!

Nj also ranked very high in good schools, employment, income, the good stuff.

People like me, who have never been there, think of NJ and only know a few big cities with bad reps like Camden and Newark. But I lived in Illinois and many people outside of Illinois hear Illinois and think its Chicago.

Seems like the NE has the nicest places to live.

I live in Wisconsin but we used to travel to Minnesota a lot and I LOVED it. So when we decided to leave Illinois I wanted MN. But my husband said MN was too cold and he worked outside. So we settled on tropical Wisconsin....haha. Weather is not so different and it would have been such a nice place to raise my kids. I like Wisconsin, but Minnesota is a really really nice place to live....and its affordable.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
My state did not make the list.
We have friends from NJ and they are very happy there in every way. Plus they can go to NY or PA easily for a weekend.
We visited Rhode Island not too long ago. It was lovely. Very pretty and just a very interesting state. I’m glad I got to go. A few like Connecticut , I haven’t been to since very young. But I recall it was beautiful.

Lil

I'm not surprised we didn't make the list. We have a lovely state really and a very low cost of living, but there also aren't a lot of job opportunities and pretty high crime in the two major cities on both sides of the state. Still, I like it here, but I work for state government and live out of the big cities.

I tend to forget NJ is an actual state! LOL! (Sorry Deni D!)

BusynMember

Lil, I have an obsession with reading up on worst/best states AND cities.. One of my weird obsessions that make me fel I have Aspergers....hehe. iean, would a normal erson care???

Missourt, like most Midwestern states, is in the middle. I think it's gorgeous and the people are great. And on this list these are mostly very rich states which usually boost the good stuff. I couldnt afford myself to live in any of them except MN the outcast.

In another Top Ten about safest states most were in the Midwest.....I will have to get that one. Iowa, Nwbraska (I think it has the lowest violent crime stats in the country), Kansas, the Dakota's and a few from the NE like NH. Wyoming.

I prefer the safe boring states. Aside from St Louis and KC and for us the ever worsening Milwaukee, our states are pretty, quiet and calm. And affordable! And we are doing fine in most categories. I amgoing to look up safest states 2019.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Well Alabama did not make the list but I did hear it made the list of best places to retire so...

I would not live anywhere in Alabama other than where we live - on the coast, but I hear Huntsville is very nice.

My property taxes were $8k in Chicago and now are $1.3k for all brick brand new, gold standard (hurricane proof), same s.f. home so there's that!

BusynMember

I know a lot of people who retire to Alabama or snowbird there. And cost of living matters a lot to me. We dont have a fortune. I would not want to live in a "rich" place....people tend to have way different values than me and mine.

And when we travel in the winter next year, we are heading sourh, not NE. I think Alabama would be very beautiful with friendly people. I didnt make the list lol.

I never liked the Chicago area for many reasons, prices of everything being one, and moved as soon as possible. The taxes are nuts. Crime wasnt so hot either, even in the burbs. I love Wisconsin and its not on the list. Our taxes are like yours in Alabama. The people up here are very friendly toi!!!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I went to a resale shop with a neighbor last weekend to look for a Mardi Gras gown. We were in Fairhope (look it up; it's lovely) and the ladies were all trading dresses with others they did not know and all oohing and ahhhing as they were tried on. It was so cute. We were all helping each other. I felt like I was in a movie! The people here are loving, caring and friendly - most but not all of course but it is amazing. I love being in the south.

BusynMember

RN that is my cup of tea. I would love that! What a great new environment for your awesome hero.son to live in and a great vacation spot for your other boys. I am so happy for you! Will definitely visit Alabama and probably Louisiana too!

Nomad

Staff member
Wow, RN that sounds very nice! I’m in the Southeast. It’s geographically south, but not particularly “Southern.”

ahhjeez

RN your property tax is amazing! I don't think mine was ever under 2k. Mine isn't too bad, but I also live on a postage stamp sized lot. Last check it was approx. $3.5k. I do love the access to both mountains and ocean that I have here in MA. I'm about 40 minutes from the ocean and about an 1 or 2 from the mountains. I've thought of moving, but the medicaid that my son gets is outstanding and I don't want him to lose that.
And it really is a beautiful state. Just wish it was more affordable.

Jenna0823

SWOT, it's true New Jersey has a very low crime rate as a whole. But then yeah there are a few towns where most people won't ever go to. You would be surprised how many towns in New Jersey are actually rural with beautiful landscapes, forests and farms. I guess I can agree it's best for the things listed, most likely due to the close proximity to NYC but there are other things to consider. The taxes are driving people and businesses out of the state in record numbers currently. Can you guess which state I live in? :)
In NJ the opioid and drug overdoses are extremely high compared to other states. I am glad I moved from there. Taxes high , drugs and foreclosure is high.