Tenex and the Bipolar difficult child....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Normally, it knocks my difficult child out cold. We can't give a small enough dose to not knock him out. The exception to that was when he was so wild this past winter - then we gave him almost 10 times the dose that normally knocks him out for 14 hours and it didn't even begin to calm him down...

jal

Our difficult child was originally diagnosis'd BiPolar (BP)/ADHD, but most recently Aspergers. We trialed a combo of Tenex and Straterra to combat ADHD in a non-stimulant way when he was being treated under BiPolar (BP). It did nothing for him.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Mine tried it while he was still on a stimulant (psychiatrist still wasn't sure what his diagnosis was) and it sent his hypomania into full-blown mania. I can't really say what it would do for him now that he's on a MS and an AP.

DDD

My boys took Tenex in addition to their stimulant medications to avoid tics. It worked great.

GFGmom, however, took difficult child off Tenex at the suggestion of a Pediatrician
who "wasn't familiar with Tenex" and :mad: he ended up in the hospital with blood pressure problems. Tenex is not to be stopped cold turkey but to be weaned down. DDD

Thanks for the feedback. difficult child started Tenex two weeks ago and at first was tired and irritable. His mom was ready to take him off after the first 4 days due to these issues. (Thankfully we started the medication over Spring Break so none of these issues occurred in school). I encouraged mom to give it a week and if things continued to look bad, we would look at other options. Since that time, difficult child has improved dramatically at both home and school. The rages at school have stopped and he is less irritable and oppositional at home. There has been no sign of an increase of manic behaviors that I’ve heard can happen with Tenex. So at this point, I am cautiously optimistic. Currently he is taking 1000 mgs of Depakote, 600mgs of Seraquel and 2mgs of Tenex.

Keeping my fingers crossed.... :)

jannie

trying to survive....
I'm glad to hear that the mom and child are seeing benefits with the tenex. My difficult child was on tenex for about 2 years. It helped with irritablity, impulsivity and frustration.