The Case Against Over Parenting

I read this last night. I agree with a lot of it. However, my speicla needs kids need a lot of guidance and support and that can be confused someitmes with helicoptor parenting. It is not, it is adovcacy and warrior parenting. Compassion

TerryJ2

Great article! She's a lively writer.
I agree with-it all in regard to my easy child.
But with-my difficult child son, sigh, I only wish I could take the rotor blades off that helicipter ... LOL! We let him ride his bike to the local university and get a soda. And to two friend's houses.
Whoopie.

TerryJ2

Oh, in regard to the Ann Landers column suggesting parents take a digital photo of their kids ea morning b4 school, as a precaution, so you can show the police what the child was wearing ... I am grateful when my son walks out the door actually wearing something, LOL!

maril

Thanks for the link! Very good read.

Paragraph near the conclusion of the article with some interesting points:

Finally, there is the gift of humility, which parents need to offer one another. We can fuss and fret and shuttle and shelter, but in the end, what we do may not matter as much as we think. Freakonomics authors Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt analyzed a Department of Education study tracking the progress of kids through fifth grade and found that things like how much parents read to their kids, how much TV kids watch and whether Mom works make little difference. "Frequent museum visits would seem to be no more productive than trips to the grocery store," they argued in USA Today. "By the time most parents pick up a book on parenting technique, it's too late. Many of the things that matter most were decided long ago — what kind of education a parent got, what kind of spouse he wound up with and how long they waited to have children."