"The Help" moved me to tears!

DDD

First time in six or seven years I've gone to a movie. There were only about ten people in the theater which was a great thing. Also a good thing that I was alone. I got transported to my childhood. The scene at the bus stop was exactly as I remember it. The loving, hardworking devotion is what I grew up surrounded by. The prejudice, thank God, was much more muted in my reality...but, of course, it was present. The traveling bridge games continued on into my mid twenties but my peers and I did the cooking, setup and cleaning since if we were lucky we had a once a week maid.

I could go on and on but mostly it was right on target and it spoke to me deeply. Boy was husband surprised when he asked about the film and the tears flowed as I tried to share the emotions I continued to feel for hours afterwards. We've been married 35 years and he's only seen me cry six or seven times. I'm hoping my sister doesn't see it and call to talk. Her take on it would be all upbeat. She didn't "see" or "feel" what I did in those days. Sigh. DDD

T

TeDo

Wow DDD. Personally, I hate it when movies or books delve that deep into my past. For me, it is very uncomfortable.

BusynMember

I have a question: If you DIDN'T grow up in this environment will you still like this movie? My birthday is tomorrow and money is scarce so I was thinking of going to see "The Help" as a present to myself. But I so rarely see movies that I want to have a fighting chance to enjoy the few I see :) thank you in advance for any answers!

donna723

I haven't seen the movie yet but I just finished reading the book and I thought it was EXCELLENT! Best book I've read in years. It was right on and was a very accurate representation of what was going on during those turbulent times. Some people who didn't live through those times think they know but they really just have no idea.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't think I'll be able to watch it until I can pause it and walk away. I read the bookand there are a lot ofgood things in it but some parts....will just make me mad watching it.

DDD

Midwest, alot depends on your personality. Obviously, lol, it was over the top in sentimentality for me. It is really well done and the talented performers will probably win Oscars etc. But...if you're planning a birthday treat I would think you might want something more lighthearted. I don't think anyone would find it amusing but based on the box office it is apparent that it is brilliant. Happy Birthday! DDD

TerryJ2

DDD, I'm so glad you loved it. I cried, too. I was about 6 when all of that stuff was going on, but I still had an "Aha!" moment when Sissy Spacek was watching soap operas. OMG. And the Crisco part ... just like an add. Too funny.
MWM, yes, I still think you'll like the movie. My daughter saw it and she's 20. She LOVED it. The acting is excellent, the story line is strong, the set design is right on target. You will love it. And I'm not just saying that. There are many entertaining parts that are stand-alones.

DDD

I also pulled up the movie cast with pictures. I don't know whether I was more shocked by the physical transformations that took place for the movie or, lol, the outstanding credentials of the cast. Since I don't "do" movies the only person I recognized was Sissy. Yikes. DDD

klmno

DDD, as many here know, I've been trying to make it to this movie for a few weeks now. Tomorrow is a big day for me and being a long weekend, I have decided come heck or whatever, I'm going this weekend to see it. I am working on my "to do" list today and have several things to get done (and to keep me busy so I won't stress so much over a job and living arrangements) but I have marked "movie" as a priority! Therefore, I'm not going to read all of this thread just in case there are details that would give away too much about it. But I'm glad you liked it and found it worthwhile.

DammitJanet

I was born in 62 which is the middle of the years of this movie. I loved it. Tony loved it. I cried during parts of it and I could swear he did too but he blamed it on allergies...lol. There were also times that were just plain funny. Like the Crisco part. And now Tony and I have a new saying around the house: "The terrible awful" LOL.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I saw it this afternoon. I didn't live that life but it is a glimpse of what was going on during my childhood in a different part of the country.

It is a very emotional movie- of all kinds of emotions. I was enraged through much of it and saddened by a lot of it. There are redemption parts and thank goodness, there are some pretty dang funny parts, too.

I agree- I see lots of Oscar nominations, all well-deserved. I would like to think that it could change some minds of those still clinging onto discrimination but I'm smart enough to know that those who would benefit the most probably won't be the people who go see it.

I didn't recognize Bryce Dallas Howard (Hilly- she's Ron Howard's "Opie" daughter)....and finally figured out who Stuart/Stewart was....the young guy who used to be on "Private Practice." You could tell that Sissy had a lot of fun with her role.I think that Viola Davis is a shoo-in for a nomination, as is the actress who played Minnie. Incredible acting from everyone. The story was very moving and will stay with me forever, I think.

MWM, for a birthday movie, I'd suggest something a bit more light-hearted. I saw "Stupid, Crazy Love" a few weeks ago. It is completely different and utterly, UTTERLY delightful. I think I might go see it again tomorrow.

Suz

shellyd67

It was a truly beautiful movie. I read the book as well. It was definetly a movie that brought you up and down ... I am planning on seeing it again next week when the kids are back to school.

Oh you guys are really making me want to see this. I have a coupon for a free movie on my birthday (Tues) and I'm definately going to this one. I always had a maid growing up, I thought everyone did, until I was 18. I didn't know any better.

DammitJanet

I wonder why so many of us remember having maids and then some of us dont. I wonder if it is where we were raised? I was born and raised in VA which one would think of being very southern being the capital of the confederacy but my parents were both Bostonians. That may have made a difference.

donna723

When I was growing up in St. Louis, nobody had a maid! Couldn't even imagine having a maid ... it just wasn't done, except for maybe a few wealthy people and wealthy people were pretty scarce in my neighborhood. Then we moved to Florida and lived there during the time period that the book covers, during the majority of the civil rights movement. I didn't know anybody that had a maid there either. It may have been done other places but not where I lived. We lived in a small outlying town that had been the scene of terrible racial unrest back in the 1920, there were riots, lynchings and murders and a lot of people there had been there to witness it all. Even if they wanted a maid, even if they had been able to afford to have a maid, they would have never been able to find someone willing to work in that town!

The closest we ever got to having a "maid" was when my mother went back to work for a while and tried to find someone to do the ironing. That was back before 'permanent press' when everything had to be ironed, including my fathers Air Force uniforms. Didn't last long though.

BusynMember

Thanks, folks. I think we're going to just have dinner out instead.

It sounds like a movie I'd like to see at another time. I didn't read the book, but thought it was a comedy. Guess I was wrong.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
MWM, for a birthday movie, I'd suggest something a bit more light-hearted. I saw "Stupid, Crazy Love" a few weeks ago. It is completely different and utterly, UTTERLY delightful. I think I might go see it again tomorrow.

I think the real title is "Crazy, Stupid Love" (Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone- who also stars in "The Help") but whatever it's called, it is funny and touching and terrific.

Suz

TerryJ2

that those who would benefit the most probably won't be the people who go see it.

Or, wouldn't see themselves anyway.

I had no idea that the diz-brain was Opie's daughter! OMG! Too funny.