The small things

Malika

Again, it's the small things... went out with friends this evening, leaving J with a babysitter - a schoolgirl from the village who has been a few times before. And J (duly prepared and forewarned, of course) was word perfect - said goodbye without a fuss and was apparently good as gold at every stage of the evening. It sounds silly to say (being such a seemingly banal thing), but I'm proud of him.

InsaneCdn

Malika -
The important thing isn't so much that the evening went well...
Its the promise that there will be more of these.
That you are able to have a bit of a life of your own.
That this will become "normal"...

WoW!

Malika

Thank you for your vicarious pleasure! I have always had "a life" and have often left J with childminders during the day without any problem (though he can be understandably "clingy" when I leave him) but it's new for him to be completely at ease with someone else putting him to bed. As I say, I think he must be feeling more stable and secure. For some time after we came to live in France he was so anxious and insecure that if I took a different route from usual to go home from somewhere, he would get almost hysterical. Now he would just comment "oh, we're going a different way..." All of which is giving me real pause for thought in my decision of whether to move next year or not....

buddy

Oh I hear that, It took just over a year for the anxiety and behaviors to settle after moving to a new city...not even out of the state or local area! Now that my housing is too expensive for me, I have to consider other housing (If I could actually even afford the moving costs). It is what has made me really hold back. Adding that huge issue to his plate? I just dont know that I can do it.
Congratulations on the steps forward. It is really a big deal!