Things people do that annoy you or you find gross

Pink Elephant

The f word in public especially with kids around is a big one with me.

Snot rockets

One time i was in a grocery store and some kids were joy riding on a motorized handicapped cart. No parent in sight.

I don't know how many times i have gone walking on a nature trail and found diapers discarded cause no one wants to carry them to a trash can.

This isn't discusting just bad manners. You go invited to someones house and they don't offer a drink if you are there awhile.

People who throw entire bags of fast food trash in the middle of the road.
The F-Bomb among younger people has become chronic. I see it having a low IQ... little to no education... or a cognisant deficiency related to ones conduct and structure outside of their immediate class or circle.

As for visiting others and not being offered a drink, we had that happen to us once, and dear husband never visited the individual again.

Regarding used diapers being discarded improperly... no small wonder why I loathe disposables to the extent that I do.

Tired out

WOW..people behave badly! I dislike everything already mentioned. Here are my top peeves. Funny though..Peeve's is the name of one of the ghost in the Harry Potter books. Peeve's is the one that is always doing annoying things. He is the person everyone would complain about if it was a real life scenario :). I love the JK Rowling named him "Peeve's"

#1 People who park in the "x" space next to handicapped spot, then I can't get my son into the van without pulling it into the parking and blocking on-coming traffic to deploy lift to put him in. What about the people who are the drivers of wheelchair vehicles, they can't gt in and move their vehicle so that they can get in https://photos.app.goo.gl/F3qeSKuvCrck3hmD6
#2 Able bodied people using handicapped parking tags/spaces.
#3 Medical facilities not having automatic/electronic doors.
#4 People blocking the cut curb at any public place. HOW is someone in a wheelchair or walking impaired person supposed to get up to the sidewalk when the cut out/taper is blocked?
#5 Putting shopping carts, plowing snow , placing garbage cans in the "X" space next the handicapped parking spot.
#6 Doctors signing the paperwork for people to get a handicapped plaque that don't need them.
#7 People who say to me "why do you always where dresses? How many dresses do you have!?" seriously! I like dresses. I grew-up in dresses.
#8 People who see me run or walk more than 1x/day commenting..making it sound like I am obsessive. running releases endorphins, endorphins elevate mood, happy people don't kill their families. Yesterday was a 2 run day..8am and 8pm. by the way..my usual is an hour in the morning
here is my mean one..don't take offense...
#9 people who comment on my running and say, "you are so skinny! you don't need to run"..I want to retaliate with, "well you are so heavy you do need to run" . Of course I don't because, I was raised with manners. My usual response, "try it! Endorphins are good! Gotta go" and off I go. Oh and skinny? Hardly. 5'2" 128..right in the middle of suggested weight for my height.

BusynMember

Handicapped does not mean just unable to walk. I know someone with heart disease who can make it from her car to a store but then needs to sit down inside for five minutes before she gets a riding cart. Should she use her walker? Probably. But even if she doesnt she is still disabled. In general though, I know more people who have silly reasons for having disabled stickers than good reasons and I recently went out with a lady who used her mother's handicapped sticker to get a handicapped spot! I didnt say anything but I thought it was lazy and wrong. Nobody said anything. There were others in the car too. I wanted to say something but knew it would be pointless....she was going to keep doing it anyway. I would have spoken up if there had been no other handicapped spots.

As a former restaurant employee, I know how hard servers work for so
little. Now once in a while a server is nasty. I tip anyway but I understand somebody not tipping for poor service. But other than that, I really have a problem when prople tip nothing or very little. You dont want to tip? Go to McDonalds. Pet peeve of mine. Seen many servers crying in back of restaurant because they worked very hard at a big table and got stiffed or a buck or two.

I am really glad for self serve at especially grocery stores now because I also dont enjoy standing behind another shopper who has a hundred coupons. I really like self serve so I can go at my own pace.

People who say rude things loudly in public really bother me. If there is such a thing as class, this is to me as close as one can come to low class. Nobody cares about how you think someone is too fat or too short or too ugly or (fill in the blank). My ex does this and it mortifies my daughter. "Dad is so mean!" He is, but I dont think he knows it. He is lucky he looks so frail or somebody would punch him in the nose!

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Dumping trash in the parking lot, or out a window, or leaving it in a shopping cart.

Parking in the middle of the road to talk. There are other people who drive there... Pull off!

On the subject of those who let their children push the grocery carts... Rose is allowed to do this, but ONLY if I am "guiding" the cart from the front. She wants to help, but I am completely uninterested in meeting someone new by my kid running into them.

Lil

If something drops in the store, pick it up.

This reminded me of a BIG peeve! People who decide they don't want something, so they take it out of the cart and just set it somewhere. It's bad enough when you come on a pair of shoes in the makeup department...but the ones that really get me is in the checkout line. I've seen FROZEN foods and meat and other perishables abandoned next to the drink cooler and in the magazine racks literally 5 feet from the cashier! JUST GIVE IT TO THE CASHIER IF YOU DON'T WANT IT! Those people may as well be shoplifters, they cost bot the store and US money by ruining food they haven't paid for!

#9 people who comment on my running and say, "you are so skinny! you don't need to run"

The correct comment is, "I'm skinny BECAUSE I run!"

AppleCori

I don’t like to complain too much, but I must echo what SWOT said....

I hate going to a restaurant with someone who doesn’t tip properly or complains unnecessarily in hopes of getting a free or partially free meal.

Yes, there are some people who do this.

I had a mother in law once that wouldn’t tip enough. She thought $5 was enough no matter the cost of the meal and no matter how many people at the table. We had to bring cash to leave for the wait staff on the rare occasion that she paid for a meal. She would complain about this, too, thinking it too much cash to leave. I don’t understand why she didn’t get the concept of “they make $2 per hour and must pay taxes on what they are assumed to have made in tips”.

I have been known to not accept another date from a man who doesn’t tip properly. I think it shows bad character.

I know this couple who complain at every meal, hoping for a freebie, and brag about it. I went out with them exactly once and won’t ever go again. Interesting thing is, they are going to inherit millions when his 90+ year old father passes, but they still treat the wait staff this way (and others as well). Always scamming.

BusynMember

Lil I forgot that one. Why cant people put especially groceries back where they belong???

I have some traffic/safety pet peeves:

People who tailgate
People who switch lanes recklessly to try to get in front of everyone else
People with noisy mufflers and other car/truck noises on purpose.
Rageholic drivers who swear at others and give the finger (if you cant control your temper, take a bus).

Lil

I had a mother in law once that wouldn’t tip enough. She thought $5 was enough no matter the cost of the meal and no matter how many people at the table.

This reminded me of our son. When we took them to dinner when we went to Colorado, at first he said he'd pay the bill. Then he said he'd pay for their meal. Of course Jabber and I said no and insisted on paying. Then he said he'd leave the tip.

He planned on leaving like $7. The bill was $100. We told him he needed to add at least another $10 to that and showed him the bill. His face was priceless. I think it's the first time he realized how much it cost us to eat out. He said he usually left $5 and thought a couple more would be enough. We told him, when they go out and spend about $25 on a meal, $5.00 IS enough (barely), but the more you spend, the more that tip adds up as 15 to 20% is standard.

I did leave a very small, like 10% or less, tip the last time Jabber and I went to our favorite Mexican place. The new waitress was AWFUL. Bad enough Jabber would have left nothing - I'm a better tipper. Took our chip basket - with chips still in it - and didn't bring more back, when I still had half a bowl of guacamole and needed MORE chips! Never refilled our water or even asked. Never brought the guacamole I ordered until I flagged her down and pointed it out. Never came to ask how things were. I know she probably didn't speak much English...but that's not how it's done. Oh, and she wasn't busy. There were like 3 tables and two servers and she kept sitting down to watch TV! We mentioned she needed some work to the long-time cashier as we were leaving, but I don't know how much of that she actually caught...again, not the best English. We just hope that someone noticed our tip size wasn't what we usually leave and figure it out.

BusynMember

At the Applebees I worked at they made $1 plus an hour and if they didnt get enough in tips they were paid minimum wage which is. 2.25 in these parts. You have to be paid minimum wage.

There are many places to eat. Eat at a fast food place if you dont want to tip. Seniors and kids were our worst tippers although seniors often had the biggest meals, were the most demanding, and ran up the highest bills.

And yes people complain to get their bills discounted. Saw the stupidest gripes all the time. I forgot another pet peeve of mine....people wanting or expecting top rate service but unwilling to pay for it. And complaining unnecessarily.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Lil,my friend told me a funny story along the lines of "kids dont get it."

Her daughter is now 34 but her first job was in high school. After she got her first paycheck she came home in tears showing her mother her paychecks and saying "they stole some of my money! I didnt tell them they can take my money!"

My friend had to explain about taxes. She swears she had told her daughter many times but apparently it hadnt sunk in. Now this is somebody who is smart and is a college graduate and nurse, but in high school taxes just went in one ear and out the other.

I thought the story was very amusing and laughed hard.

On the tip side, I have always stressed good tipping to the point that all of my kids calculate at least a 15 percent tip. They get angry at cheap tippers too!

Pink Elephant

I get angry whenever I read or hear about a mother breastfeeding in a busy public place where she failed to cover-up respectably or show modesty. In cases like these, mothers deserve the chastising they receive.

We DO NOT change our babies on restaurant tables, etc. There are bathrooms for that. Get off your lazy duff and move away from public eye when doing such. When my kids were little and needed changing, I'd take them to the car and change them in the backseat or on the lid of the trunk.

Pink Elephant

On the tip side, I have always stressed good tipping to the point that all of my kids calculate at least a 15 percent tip. They get angry at cheap tippers too!
A misperception exists nowadays where even those who fail to provide satisfactory waiting or table-serving are deserving of a tip. NO. My opinion is, if you are in the business of providing a service to the general public and in-turn, you are tipped on such, then you had better step up to the plate and perform, and if you fail in this department, then pull-in your bottom lip and accept that there are people (like dear husband and I) that aren't adverse to NOT adding a tip when service fails to please.

Tips, are NOT guaranteed, you earn them like everything else. I'm tired of today's needy generation where a good number feel entitled.

BusynMember

Oh they know some people are loathe to tip. But it isnt always because of bad service. Some people are quite stingy. There are polite ways not to tip.

I feel if you dont like tipping, go to Culvers where the employees are not paid by tipping. They have good food too.

This generation is NO DI FFERENT than ours was i was a server and worked hard and prayed for tips. A d what makes you think all servers are young??? We had young servers to seniors.

I am glad I dont harbor bad feelings about any generation.

Pink, certainly it is your right to do what you want.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Oh they know so.e people are loathe to tip. But it isnt always because of bad service. Some peoe are quite stingy. There are polite ways not to tip.

I feel if you dont like tipping, go to Culvers where the employees are not paid by tipping. They have good food too.
It has nothing to do with whether or no one likes tipping or not, it has to do with earning those tips. Fail to please me as a server when you are serving me, don't expect a tip. It's that simple.

Lil

I get angry whenever I read or hear about a mother breastfeeding in a busy public place where she failed to cover-up respectably or show modesty. In cases like these, mothers deserve the chastising they receive.

I'm just gonna quietly wait for the fireworks on this one. This is such a touchy subject. LOL

But it isnt always because of bad service. Some peoe are quite stingy. There are polite ways not to tip.

I'm generally a very good tipper...20% even 25% for exceptional service. I've been a server and I've been stiffed. I don't think anyone who ever worked as a server would ever stiff another, even for bad service. People who are just stingy and don't like to tip, should have to do that job for a few months and see what it's like!

Realistically, if the good old USA just paid their servers a living wage like other countries (where tipping is unusual) this wouldn't be an issue.

BusynMember

Ok. I just feel you sound harsh especially toward young people. I dont know a thing about your kids, but mine are hardworking, kind and wonderful. I dont judge harshly....I am not that way. But we are all different. You may not judge harshly either.

In my life I have had very few truly bad servers. I dont get mad if they are busy and forget to fill my coffee cup until I ask. I think I am just more easy going in this life....if I want more coffee I will smile and ask for some in a good natured way I dont wait to see if they pass a test. I dont know if you do either. My hub also is a generous tipper, but he is just a nice person who would never stiff a server. My hub is just very kind. I think he remembers when Jumper and Princess were servers in high school and cant just leave no tip. I have a great man.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Lil you said it.

I tip like you do and am realistic. Nobody can attend to all my needs. They have other tables. It can get crazy busy too.

I sure get good service when I go to aa restaurant. The servers remember that Im friendly, easygoing and tip well. So it helps all of us.

Pink Elephant

Realistically, if the good old USA just paid their servers a living wage like other countries (where tipping is unusual) this wouldn't be an issue.
Thank you.

It's not up to patrons of restaurants to subsidize the wages of table servers, so restaurants can enjoy the profit.

As for those who are cheap or stingy, shame on them, as there is a place for tipping, but for some unknown reason, servers, just because they're servers, seem to be under the impression the service they provide plays no role in whether or not they get a tip or not, and that's where folk like dear husband and I, supply them with education.

If I ran a business and employed workers, and those workers performed, sure, there would be bonuses, however, if those very same workers showed no dedication or commitment to my venture, then (as to be expected) no bonuses would be received. The same holds true for restaurant servers. Be on your game as a server, and chances are good, you'll be rewarded, but don't think for a minute that just because you're a server, you somehow are automatically entitled to a tip.

Blessed is he/she who expects nothing, for he/she shall never be disappointed.

Pink Elephant

Lil you said it.

I tip like you do and am realistic. Nobody can attend to all my needs. They have other tables. It can get crazy busy too.

I sure get good service when I go to aa restaurant. The servers remember that Im friendly, easygoing and tip well. So it helps all of us.
I disagree. Not an excuse in my opinion. It's tough all the way around, and if you choose to be a server at a restaurant, you had better expect there to be times where it's crazy busy, and if you can't handle the patrons accordingly, then maybe you're in the wrong line of work.

Dear husband and I, have dined many times at restaurants where staff is short and tables are full, yet, a majority of those occasions the server or servers excelled at ensuring patrons were served and tended to promptly, and with utmost courtesy and professionalism. We waited for nothing. In those cases, bravo, job well done.