Things that make you feel old...

Pink Elephant

What are some things that make you feel old or think about the past?

Is it your grey hair?

How about your fitness? Or lack thereof?

Maybe it's your figure after all these years?

What about your energy level? I know mine has sure changed.

How about your style in clothing and shoes? I know I still enjoy certain styles of the past that are no longer.

So how about it... what makes you feel old?

Nomad

Staff member
At times, my health issues and the side effects to some medications makes me feel old.

Related to that are relatively frequent doctor visits and blood work.

My next birthday!!!!! A milestone.

When I’m unsure of myself doing things on the computer.

No more extreme high heels. I’m also for the first time last summer uncomfortable in almost any bathing suit. Ugh.

Just saw on my FB page a list of deceased folks from a five year period within my HS graduating class. It was kind of large. Sad.

All this being said, I think I look youngish for my age. I wear makeup and dye my hair etc. I try to wear stylish clothes. Get my nails done regularly.

I’m most grateful for the blessings of life.

Life is good. Age is just a number. :) Blessings.

BusynMember

Hi there, Old Hand (waving). Another good topic.

Having to take medications for hereditary high cholesterol and hypo thyroid do a little. I always had great eyesight, now I have cataracts and always need my glasses. I am no longer comfortable driving at night because of what cataracts do to my vision.

Physically I still don't feel old though. I am lucky and also am very active. 10k steps a day every day and I have lots of energy still! Mentally I have young ideas too so I don't feel set in my ways or unable to keep changing and evolving. But my priorities have changed and I suppose these are normal age related changes such as I appreciate smelling those roses and a slower paced, peaceful life. When you are in full Mom mode you can't relax mentally and we can as we get older. I also need less sleep so I have more time to ponder. What is my life's purpose? What did I do that was good? Or not good? What will I be like when back in the world of spirit? Spiritual thoughts surround me more now. I feel the Universal energy, my angels and spirit guides and deceased loved ones in spirit especially when alone at night in the semi darkness. And this gives me profound peace.

My family and pets, who are a part of my family, are more precious to me than ever. I look at my adult kids and grandkids and just feel a warmth and love that I can't explain in words. And my husband who I am so lucky to have. I feel blessed and closed to God. And I also feel extra blessed at the incredible close relationship that I have with Jumper who chooses to visit us every week. In fact I am close to all of them, but Jumper lives close by and can visit a lot and stays very close. Her boyfriend is like another son. So I ponder...why did I get so lucky with my kids? My husband? How can I pay my good fortune forward...

I think what makes me feel the oldest is that I feel I have to dress my age. I look younger too but I am still no longer young! I remember how I used to get wide eyed when somebody mature wore a short skirt or younger styles or were revealing (blush). I am very conscious of being the older generation now and often, due to my interests and associations, in a position of a mentor/role model. So I want to not look as if I am trying to be the same age as the people I mentor. Not that I don't ever dress in stylish clothing. I sometimes want to and will. I just don't overdo it. I like comfortable clothes best and don't care if I am pretty or not. I look tons like my grandma, my one loving g relative, and that makes me very happy.

I do have to dye my hair more often!!! Yikes! I always keep this mop of hair dyed!

My feet hurt more than they used to so no heels but I dont like wearing them and stopped years ago anyway. I do wear more comfortable shoes.

Um, I am 5'1 and not getting any taller! :)

My next birthday is 65 and I plan a family bash and a bash for my friends whom I work with and mentor. 65 is a number for more pondering :)

Retirement is a reminder. We are going to snowbird starting next year. That's a "mature" milestone, but fun, I hope!!

Again, great topic Old Hand!!! You just rock it!!!

Last edited:

Crayola13

What are some things that make you feel old or think about the past?

Is it your grey hair?

How about your fitness? Or lack thereof?

Maybe it's your figure after all these years?

What about your energy level? I know mine has sure changed.

How about your style in clothing and shoes? I know I still enjoy certain styles of the past that are no longer.

So how about it... what makes you feel old?
Whenever I put on makeup I feel old because makeup doesn't go as smoothly as it did years ago. You have to use a very light weight transparency powder or mineral veil. I have bags and shadows, but the more concealer, the worse I look. I can't put powder under my eyes at all now which means my mascara runs--even waterproof. Stick eyeliner skips when I apply it, so I have to brush on loose powder liner. I can't use lip stains and have to be very selective about bright lip colors. My lips are turning downward and getting thinner. Neutral colors make me look like a corpse, but I can't use the mega bright colors anymore, either. Some days I think I look better with just a tinted moisturizer, concealer, radiance, gloss, and something to fill in my gray brows. I do a lot of switching around--powder foundation, liquid foundation, various brands. I have gotten to that stage of my life when I look better with less makeup. I don't like it.

AppleCori

Interesting topic, OH, though I have to admit that I prefer the underwear threads!

I’m coming up on a birthday soon. Too make matters worse, my step-brother never lets me forget about getting another year older. His birthday is the day before mine, so he is one day less than exactly a year younger than me. When we were kids, his main goal in life was to be the “same age” as me. My patient (and not so patient) explanations that he wasn’t REALLY the same age as me did not deter his glee.

Now, he gleefully tells me how much older I am than he is! I think I did protest too much back then!

Wasn’t it George Bernard Shaw that said youth is wasted on the young? I wish I could go back and kick myself.

I will be back with more commentary on this subject....

Apple

KTMom91

Hearing music I loved in high school played as background in the grocery store. On a related note, hearing the same music used in commercials.

No longer finding humor in "I've fallen and I can't get up" ads. I used to think they were overacted and cheesy...and then I fell, broke my leg, and couldn't get up.

Slowing down, bad knees, weight piling on despite my efforts to counteract it, a serious buttload of medications, hot flashes...

Having a fourth grader tell me I looked pretty good for 54.

Overhearing a first grader tell his friend that he and his nana shared a birthday, and "she was born in 1957, and she's still alive!"

Triedntrue

My white hair but my hair started going grey at 17 so i should be used to it.

Reaching the point of being the highest in seniority before i retired

My knees in the morning

Going to see a doctor , lawyer whatever and they look about 18

AppleCori

Interesting topic, OH, though I have to admit that I prefer the underwear threads!

I’m coming up on a birthday soon. Too make matters worse, my step-brother never lets me forget about getting another year older. His birthday is the day before mine, so he is one day less than exactly a year younger than me. When we were kids, his main goal in life was to be the “same age” as me. My patient (and not so patient) explanations that he wasn’t REALLY the same age as me did not deter his glee.

Now, he gleefully tells me how much older I am than he is! I think I did protest too much back then!

Wasn’t it George Bernard Shaw that said youth is wasted on the young? I wish I could go back and kick myself.

Apple

And the countdown begins....

I just got a text this morning reminding me how many more days till my birthday.

I have been getting monthly, then weekly reminders, but now it’s daily.

How can you feel old when your brother makes you feel like you (and he) are still about twelve?

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Things that make me feel old:
1. Doctors are usually younger than me now. Ugh.
2. Having a son and a stepson that are 31 years old so not kids anymore themselves
3. Sun spots - okay, okay I know - they're really age spots
4. Looking at my mother when I look in the mirror
5. Realizing I don't need to be the life of the party anymore
6. Being happy to stay home with a my husband, a good movie, good wine and not care what I'm missing!
7. Flab
8. Realizing I keep changing the age in which I think "old" is

AppleCori

So, what makes you feel young?

(Especially interested in any cosmetic procedures you have done or would like to do....for no particular reason at all...)

HMBgal

1. So, what makes you feel young?

(Especially interested in any cosmetic procedures you have done or would like to do....for no particular reason at all...)

No cosmetic procedures for me. Scared of that. My answer is what makes me feel young and old. Having kids with laugh lines and gray hair makes me feel old (but grateful). I teach Zumba and cycling classes. I'm always the oldest person in the room and feel old when I look out at the class and see so many young people. Makes me feel old but grateful that my health allows me to do this. I teach a program called STRONG by Zumba. It's not dance, it's a high intensity interval class with push-ups, burpees, jumping jacks, planks---hard stuff. Really hard stuff. I can do it, although it took me a few months of practice before I got strong enough. Now when I see those young faces needing quite a lot of modification because they can't keep up with me, well, not gonna lie---it makes feel if not young, pretty darn good. My grandkids and my job keep me young. I had to sign up for Medicare which made me feel old. I went for the free Medicare physical and my health numbers and habits are good, so that makes me feel young.

BusynMember

Having good health and energy and staying young minded keeps me young. Being busy keeps me young. Looking forward to the future....travel, daughter's wedding, boating etc too. Working out makes me feel refreshed and young.

No desire for any cosmetic surgery. For one thing, we can look good for 50 or 60 or 70 but nobody is going to really think we are pretty in this youth culture so to me it's one less thing to even worry about at all. And worry makes me feel OLD!! :)

Pink Elephant

Just love reading all these.

Related to myself, I don't possess the energy anymore like I used to when I was younger. I get pooped-out quicker.

Good news is, I haven't gone gray yet. Yay! Still have women ask me (like all the time) if I dye my hair. The hair dying questions both irritate and please me.

I still look good, like maybe 5 years younger than I really am, which I'm happy with, and believe it or not, that in itself helps make me feel younger.

As for what makes me feel young? Having thick hair (minus any gray), and skin that hasn't yet sagged, drooped, or is wrinkly.

ahhjeez

When I fall now I'm more concerned that I've broken something and have to do that quick mental check...."am I ok? Anything feel broken?" Before I'd be more concerned that someone saw me wipe out. LOL.

My hair. It is really grey if I don't color it. And my health issues are piling up a bit. That bums me out. Plus my doctor telling me I'm cruising into menopause didn't help either.

On the other hand my love of technology makes me feel young. With my job I have to stay on top of social media and different selling platforms so that keeps me engaged.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The only cosmetic surgery I would consider is mechanical: My upper eyelids are sagging and starting to affect my vision when I look up.

When they get worse, I will probably "get my eyes done".

Other than that, I'm 57, nearly 58. I've crammed a lot of living, much of it out in sun, wind and weather, into those years. A lot of joy and more than my share of sadness and grief.
I look it. My skin shows my age, I'm going gray. I'm fine with that. I could do without the jowls and saggy jawline, but they don't affect my ability to function.

The eyes may need a little help surgically in the future.

Pink Elephant

Things that make me feel old:
1. Doctors are usually younger than me now. Ugh. Yes! :)
2. Having a son and a stepson that are 31 years old so not kids anymore themselves Same here! The cloth diapers and safety pins I used always seem to have a way of reminding me how old I really am. Such an old-fashioned mom I was.
3. Sun spots - okay, okay I know - they're really age spots
4. Looking at my mother when I look in the mirror
5. Realizing I don't need to be the life of the party anymore
6. Being happy to stay home with a my husband, a good movie, good wine and not care what I'm missing!
7. Flab
8. Realizing I keep changing the age in which I think "old" is I'm with you on that!

AppleCori

The only cosmetic surgery I would consider is mechanical: My upper eyelids are sagging and starting to affect my vision when I look up.

When they get worse, I will probably "get my eyes done".

Other than that, I'm 57, nearly 58. I've crammed a lot of living, much of it out in sun, wind and weather, into those years. A lot of joy and more than my share of sadness and grief.
I look it. My skin shows my age, I'm going gray. I'm fine with that. I could do without the jowls and saggy jawline, but they don't affect my ability to function.

The eyes may need a little help surgically in the future.

My mom’s friend got her eye lids done a few years ago, and Medicare paid for it because of vision issues.