thoughts and prayers

crazymama30

easy child goes in for a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy tomorrow. All should go well, but she is old enough that it will be harder than when she was younger. We are hoping this will help with her sleep, and therefore help her not get as many sinus infetions (should also help with drainage).

Wish us luck. She is nervous, she has never even had an IV before.

Steely

Sending prayers her way - it is scary the first time - but maybe just tell her what it is going to feel like. I remember the first surgery I had, I was scared that I was slipping away from consciousness and it really scared me and I started fighting it. Then when I woke up I was so cold and trembling, again I was scared. Maybe it would help to just tell her the process, and that warm blankets will be waiting when its over, etc.

buddy

Hopefully they will use that new pop can sounding medication that they just put the tool on the place they do the IV and it goes pop and the area is totally numbed. It works great. They really feel nothing.

I think I told you my girlfriend's son had a similar issue and he is actually doing better. Not perfect, but he has some serious life threatening illnesses going on so not the same situation.

DammitJanet

I have never heard of that pop thing Buddy is talking about but dont let them put that IV in without numbing her first. If they fight you about it, take them outside her room and demand it. I have had them tell me they dont have any such thing but just the last time I was at the hospital with Cory for his eye, I saw the empty box sitting there on the tray and it said it was just for such things. Numbing the skin before inserting IV's and drawing blood. I was so ticked off considering so many hospitals had denied the existence of such a product. I had my oldest son take a picture of it or I would give you the name. He is asleep. It is in a green and white box with black lettering. I believe it was a spray but not completely sure.

Tell her after they insert the IV to make her relaxed she will start to feel a bit funny like she thinks everything is funny and floating. Her limbs will get really tired. She can take her favorite stuffy with her into that room and if the doctors are good they will allow her to take it into the operating room. They should talk to her in the operating room nicely and when it comes time to put her to sleep she wont be afraid. They will tell her to think of nice things and have her count backwards from 100. She wont get very far and you will be right there when she wakes up. She will feel fine because she will have medicine to help her. Lots of her favorite ice cream and pop-cycles too.

pasajes4

Yes, do request they numb the area first. I am a "hard stick" and request the area be numbed each time. I sometimes will run into a nurse that does not want to do it. I go over their head and ask to speak to a supervisor. That always does the trick.

exhausted

Prayers for everything to go well. Hoping that the healing is quick and she gets relief. ((Hugs)) to you both!

Hugs and good thoughts are sent your way. Yes, I agree, make sure the area is numb before they put in the IV. If they say they need to wait for the anethesiologist to do that, then you tell them you will wait. Then the anesthesiaologist will do the whole IV. Good luck, everything will be ok. I know it's scary for both of you....if she's scared you can call the dr and have him prescribe a valium for her take before the procedure. I always do that, they'll gladly do that, it won't affect the anesthesia.

Nancy

I'm sorry I'm a little late and I assume by now the procedure is over and she is resting. I had my tonsils out when I was 5. I still remember it, yes my throat hurt a lot. But I know it's even harder when you are older. I hope she has an easy recovery

Nancy

crazymama30

We have been home for awhile. She did great, no problems with the procedure at all. She has had a popsicle at the hospital and a pudding cup at home!