transition services

Mo1

Has anyone had experience sending their child from a therapeutic residential placement back home, and what type of supports or transition services to you use?
My son is 16.

country

My son is currently in a residential facility and I am hoping for some help with aftercare transition also. Sorry I have no advice, but wanted to say I'm in the same shoes trying to find help. He's got 11 months until discharge, but I'm currently working through ideas with my therapist to help my anxiety levels. Good luck to you and your son.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Much will depend on your specific situation - why he needed residential to begin with, the progress he (as well as your family) has made since his placement, and the reasons for his discharge. Some kids are released because insurance runs out even though they aren't really ready.

Do you feel your son is ready to return home? Is everybody in the household ready to have him home?

I would think that at minimum, he needs regular (weekly or more frequently) therapist visits, and an IEP to address his educational needs.

Keep us posted, we will be happy to help you.

Mo1

My son is currently in a residential facility and I am hoping for some help with aftercare transition also. Sorry I have no advice, but wanted to say I'm in the same shoes trying to find help. He's got 11 months until discharge, but I'm currently working through ideas with my therapist to help my anxiety levels. Good luck to you and your son.
Good Luck to you and your family as well!
If I come up with anything I will let let you know.

Much will depend on your specific situation - why he needed residential to begin with, the progress he (as well as your family) has made since his placement, and the reasons for his discharge. Some kids are released because insurance runs out even though they aren't really ready.

Do you feel your son is ready to return home? Is everybody in the household ready to have him home?

I would think that at minimum, he needs regular (weekly or more frequently) therapist visits, and an IEP to address his educational needs.

Keep us posted, we will be happy to help you.