Update on My Son

LauraH

I am literally in tears, but in one of the best possible ways. i just got off the phone with him. He's currently in a psychiatric/behavioral health hospital. I'm not sure he needs to be there but it's a damn sight better than being homeless or staying with the toxic boyfriend. Even though he could probably be discharged today they are working it out for him to stay until a bed in a 28-day rehab opens up. He's on several waiting lists and will likely take the first one that is available.

What has me in tears is that before he went to the hospital he had attended a few NA and AA meetings and has names and numbers of various other attendees as he is starting to try and build a sober net work of sponsors and fellow addicts in recovery. He was telling me about one meeting in particular, and when he quoted himself as saying "I'm Charley and I'm an addict"...just hearing him say those words for the first time made me well up. He said he had met a guy, one of the higher ups, who had spoken at a few of the meetings and had a real impact on my son. That guy has called my son every day since he's been in the hospital. And it seems like this time my boy is taking it seriously! He's been clean for one week, but of course that's because he's in the hospital. But hey, sobriety is sobriety and we won't worry what might happen once he leaves. He sounds great, too, but a little absent minded because of an antidepressant they have him on. Unfortunately he probably won't be able to get a prescription for it once he's out of a secure environment because of his narcotic issues.

I told him how happy I was to hear him sounding so upbeat and optimistic and how proud I was for taking the steps he's taking towards a drug-free life. I was already fighting back tears, and my words got him crying too. But like I said, these are the best tears I have shed over that kid in a long time.

And notice the time!! It's not the wee hours of the morning, which is my typical posting time when I can't sleep from all the worry and fear. That's a biggie!!

LauraH

So a couple of days ago, my son's doctor at the hospital told him he would be discharged the following day. He's familiar with the toxic relationship and knows that the boyfriend's house is really the only place he has to go until a bed in a rehab is available. So the doctor went to to say "Unless you think you might harm yourself or someone else if you get discharged at this time." The doctor basically prompted him to say that yes he could be a danger to himself or others if he leaves the hospital just now, even though he's not. I thought that was pretty cool...it looks like the doctor will drag it out until my son can get to a rehab. God bless that doctor!