Update on son- your thoughts please

tryingtobestrong

My AC had non stop vomiting. Went to ER and had testing done. Was told it was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome from smoking weed multiple times a day. Had this before a few months ago.
Blood work came back that liver enzymes were elevated. Has a high functioning liver. Was to be in alcohol recovery for 5 months so I am questioning whether or not that was a lie.... I didn't think it would take that long for the liver to recover after the stopping of drinking. I honestly don't feel the drinking was stopped, I feel it was being hidden from his other half. He was told to follow up with his primary care doctor to have the levels rechecked again.... I so wanted to come out and ask if he was back to drinking again but I feel I know the answer.
Been in the ER 3x's now in the past few days for non stop vomiting. ER recommended a GI doctor feels there could be something else going on. I thought possibly an ulcer or gall bladder issue. I thought I had read that smoking excessive weed could cause ulcers... I know the booze would as well. Doesn't have pain just vomiting nonstop.
Just wanted some thoughts.

ksm

I have no clue...luckily it hasn't been something I'm familiar with. Maybe someone else will reply later. Have you googled it? That's what I do, then I scare myself! Hope you get some answers. Ksm

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I would say let the doctors do the tests they want to do. If he is being truthful with them about what he drinks, smokes etc. then that is best. If he is not being truthful, then that's another story and could be a waste of money/resources.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I hope they get to the bottom of it for everyone concerned.

For one thing ER visits can really get costly even with insurance!

Copabanana

He is a serious alcoholic. In all likelihood this health crisis has been caused or exacerbated by his heavy drinking. This current situation or some other iteration is the inevitable consequence of his behaviors. The only control a parent has here is boundaries: How close in we choose to be, to get the blow by blow. I use that term consciously, blow by blow. We have no control over the behaviors and choices of another adult, even a beloved child, but we do have the ability to choose what we do and what enters our daily consciousness. Until we get that we have a choice, we suffer. That is based upon my personal experience. Any well-being achieved by our children will be attained through their personal choices, not ours. Until we get that we suffer. I am sorry.

Last edited:

tryingtobestrong

Sorry for not updating. He went to a GI doctor and he felt it was the cannabinoid syndrome. Gave him a prescription for more medications and he was fine since. My fear is that he is now going to turn back to excessive drinking. I have tried cutting back looking at this phone logs on his cell phone but today I did check and he did call the liquor store Sat. night.
I realize now that he probably just walks there since it is literally right near his apartment. I also fear that he is gaining excessive weight. He works from home now and hates the gym. Without smoking weed, don't really know what he is doing because the girlfriend is back in school and working nights and weekends. No overtime with his job so who knows.

Last edited: