Update son

Helpless29

Since my last post son was homeless & he did continue to live on the streets , he said he had a job but I don’t know what was true or not , every time we talked he acted like he was fine the way he was living . Fast forward to today he is now in jail , 2 charges of burglary & petty theft , he was arrested Feb 27th , he went to court the other day judge offered him 6 months & 3 years probation , he refused offer because he doesn’t want to do probation & wants to come back to Chicago , judge told him then he shouldn’t be breaking in cars . Next court date is June 1st . I can sleep better now at night knowing he’s not on the streets , just wish this wasn’t our reality.

Crayola13

I’m surprised he wasn’t given a stiff sentence considering his record. I think there is a major overcrowding problem at most jails. Will the judge sentence him next time he goes to court? Will it the amount of time he was offered. Maybe the judge will let him go after June as credit for time served.

Not exactly what you wanted, but at least he’s being fed and sheltered. Our jail offers programs and life coaching for inmates, plus counseling, drug treatment, etc. I don’t know if the jail he’s in offers those things, but I would hope he will take advantage of those programs if available. Did he get his GED? If I recall, he didn’t graduate on time. That might be offered at the jail he’s in which would help a great deal. If anything, tell him it will help pass the time.

Helpless29

I’m surprised he wasn’t given a stiff sentence considering his record. I think there is a major overcrowding problem at most jails. Will the judge sentence him next time he goes to court? Will it the amount of time he was offered. Maybe the judge will let him go after June as credit for time served.

Not exactly what you wanted, but at least he’s being fed and sheltered. Our jail offers programs and life coaching for inmates, plus counseling, drug treatment, etc. I don’t know if the jail he’s in offers those things, but I would hope he will take advantage of those programs if available. Did he get his GED? If I recall, he didn’t graduate on time. That might be offered at the jail he’s in which would help a great deal. If anything, tell him it will help pass the time.
Not exactly sure what’s happening at the next court . My son did say jail is overcrowded 3 guys to a cell & he’s not even in one , he’s in something called a boat , never heard of it . Maybe someone on this site can let me know that that is? I think where he’s at they’re not offering anything, he hasn’t mentioned it . He’s in Jacksonville Florida

startingfresh

I'm sorry Helpless. I don't know what a boat is in jail. Wish I could offer something, anything to help. I am on here sometimes, following along and its so heartbreaking, awful what we as parents go through in worrying wondering, trying to make sense of things. I often feel as if I am on another planet than anyone else I know. I have 3 other children who have regular lives and I bop from chatting with them about normal stuff to got to go, son is texting, is so happy doing great things to ooops got to go son is calling, has decided he is changing entire life plan, to days/weeks where no contact at all. Then I begin to work really really hard on disconnecting from his chaos and putting up serious boundaries and deal with the staggering grief of the reality. And then he is happy oh so happy, life is good. I am rambling, just feel your pain. I see you. I see the cycle.

Crayola13

A raised cot with a thin mattress or a plastic container with a mattress is a boat used in jails to help with overcrowding.

JMom

Helpless,

Sending you virtual hugs. It is a crazy reality we live in. We have each other to listen and help work through things. This is definitely my soft place to land. Sorry for your worries.

Hugs,

JMOM

mom58

Since my last post son was homeless & he did continue to live on the streets , he said he had a job but I don’t know what was true or not , every time we talked he acted like he was fine the way he was living . Fast forward to today he is now in jail , 2 charges of burglary & petty theft , he was arrested Feb 27th , he went to court the other day judge offered him 6 months & 3 years probation , he refused offer because he doesn’t want to do probation & wants to come back to Chicago , judge told him then he shouldn’t be breaking in cars . Next court date is June 1st . I can sleep better now at night knowing he’s not on the streets , just wish this wasn’t our reality.
Hi gosh, your story and mine are so similar. We seem to have the same son, I understand your worries. I also know we can become too busy trying to fix things. I like to listen to "Put the shovel down" on youtube. She is in addiction recovery counsel and has great advice for family and addicts.

mom58

Hi gosh, your story and mine are so similar. We seem to have the same son, I understand your worries. I also know we can become too busy trying to fix things. I like to listen to "Put the shovel down" on youtube. She is in addiction recovery counsel and has great advice for family and addicts.
did this post ??

lovemysons

Hoping your son has had some time to sober up and do some real thinking Vs just living in survival mode.

I’m sure you’ll hear something again soon since June 1st is in 2 days. My husbands birthday too…I’ll tell him what he can wish for.

Health healing and better decisions for all of the boards troubled children.

Thinking of you!