update

Albatross

Kayaking, outdoor stuff, a husband who doesn’t enjoy “nature” as much as I do...we have a lot in common, Trying! So glad you have so many positive and fun things to do and new places to explore!

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
When your son starts blaming you for anything then it's time to cut your call short!

I hope that he decides he needs to "dry out" forever and get his life on the right track.

MissLulu

Trying, I’m wondering if you have read the book, When Your Adult Child Breaks Your Heart by Joel
Young and Christine Adamec? I found it very useful and comforting.

RN0441

You know, I was thinking about this yesterday.

Our son definitely broke our hearts. I sometimes resent the time that he took from my happy life because I know I'll never get those years of agony back! I don't know if that is okay or not but I just do!!

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
Sometimes I thought I was helping my sons get to the next point in life. Paying for deposits and apartments, buying cars etc. and then I found it was too much of a burden for them to handle the responsibility. They weren’t ready for the next step and were fearful and anxious.
I found I needed to let them move forward when they were ready. I had to try to stop forcing the situation simply because watching them in their pain and discomfort was too much for me.

overcome mom

I know I have PTSD from what I have gone through with my son. He ran away many,many, many times. This meant trips to the police station to report him as missing . A lot of the time I would drive around town looking for him. This often happened in the summer, now when I walk outside at night in the summer and hear the cicadas and smell night air I start to feel anxious. I also have changed the ring tone on my phone because when I hear it my anxiety peaks. Lately I have turned off the ringer altogether so I chose when to look at it to see if someone has called/text. His behavior has broken my heart numerous times.
I think getting to the point where you can step away and let them suffer is a process. The process is not in a straight line. Some days I am better at it then others. I know that I have done things for my son only to relieve my stress not something I am proud of but at the moment I just needed the stress to end.
Trying- I am sure you will get to where you need to be but it won't happen all at once. We all just do the best we can at the moment.

RN0441

So true.

We cannot bear to see them suffer, yet that seems to be exactly what they need....

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
RN
That's so true. I think that's why it's important that we pray for ourselves as well. I remember meeting up with my Pastor and he asked me to pray even half as much for myself as I prayed for my sons. Up until that point, I don't think I had ever thought I should or needed to pray for me. It was always about them.

It is a very hard process and in my opinion nothing I could have done without the grace of God.