Update

Helpless29

Son is still at Teen Challenge, I heard from him once on Christmas, he had a negative attitude & seemed like he just wanted to fight with me so I’m glad it was a short call. His mentor called me & wanted to discuss my sons attitude, he wanted more insight on my son but as far as I could tell he read him quite well .Mentor said he remembered acting that way at his age & will continue to work with him . I’m glad he’s there & I'm glad he is safe , I can’t say I believe he’s taking full advantage of what the program has to offer but it’s still early. I’m glad he’s away in another state , I think if he was here in Illinois he would of already left . All I could do is keep praying & hope he finishes it through.

Copabanana

Hi Helpless

Everything I hear about that program is that it is excellent. Of course your son is miserable. He is without his crutch, he is without his freedom, and there are rules and consequences. All of which you know, he needs. This is the program (in another state) where RNs son went. Praying for your son, that he stays where he is.

Helpless29

Hi Helpless

Everything I hear about that program is that it is excellent. Of course your son is miserable. He is without his crutch, he is without his freedom, and there are rules and consequences. All of which you know, he needs. This is the program (in another state) where RNs son went. Praying for your son, that he stays where he is.
Just got some bad news just shortly after I posted ,I got a call from the program & my son is telling them he’s wants to leave , his mentor convinced him to stay the night & will try to talk to him about staying , he said my son sounds adamant about leaving in the morning. This is absolutely devastating, he has not even been there 2 weeks, he will be homeless out there & who knows if we will know anything about his whereabouts once he leaves , he’s in a whole another state , where he knows no one . How could he not be scared ?? What is he thinking , no money , no ID NOTHING, just his clothes .

Copabanana

What is he thinking
Helpless. From my own experience this goes with the territory, with drugs. Your son is hard-headed and strong-minded. He is very, very capable. If he leaves, he knows what he has to do.

But I feel sad for you if he goes ahead and leaves. We've said it before over and over again. He's a slow learner, but he's very, very intelligent.

Without an ID is scary but he can do many jobs without an ID.

You will have to decide whether you will help him if he calls you. I don't know what to tell you, but I feel sure that others will have something to say about this.

Your son always lands on his feet. Always. Please try not to worry so much but I know how hard it is.