Upper Thigh Pain Durng Pregnancy

J

joneshockey

Hello Everyone~
I was just wondering if any of you expereinced upper thigh pain during any of your pregnancies? I have been having very bad pains last night and all day today on my upper left thigh. The pain has ranged from a charlie horse type discomfort to shooting pain from upper thigh towards my knee. I have tried taking tylnol, but nothing seems to help it!! Please reply if you have experienced this or if you have any pointers for me.

Thanks!

H

HaoZi

If memory serves, *everything* hurts during pregnancy. Could just be baby pushing things around and putting pressure on sciatic nerve.

flutterby

Fly away!
Front or back of thigh? Could be sciatica. I had it during the entire third trimester with my son. I couldn't use my right leg to rise from standing; I couldn't pick it up at all. When driving, I slid my foot from the gas to the brake.

Good news is giving birth was the cure. :)

flutterby

Fly away!
Oh, and I would try either ice or heat (whichever one works for you) along your left hip and lower back on that side to see if it helps.

H

HaoZi

Oh, and I forgot about how the hip bones separate and spread during pregnancy, too. That was none too pleasant.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
How far along are you is the first question.

Are you taking your prenatal vitamins each day?

Are you drinking plenty of water?

Are you having any swelling?

Could be the baby is resting so as to aggravate a nerve, thus triggering the pain. But could also be other things, and if it continues you should go in and be checked. You could also call the OB's office and ask to talk to the nurse or the nurse practitioner and ask what she thinks you should do and if it needs to be checked.

That said, I take off my nurse's hat. lol easy child rested in such a way deep into my pelvis that my right hip would pop out of joint........and yes it was horribly painful, but only happened in the last 2 mos and if I walked a lot. I didn't have it with the other two kids, thankfully as one was enough. ugh

Hope it stops soon.
Hugs

Mattsmom277

I had the odd pains somewhat like you describe, not sure I ever learned exactly why but the heat/cold etc did help me. I had a friend with pains in her legs and it was from increased pressure on varicose veins that she never knew were a problem for her before then. Hope you are getting rest. Try to keep your legs elevated on a pillow maybe??

J

joneshockey

I am 19 weeks pregnant. I never have had pain like this with either of my other two. It runs along a line on my upper top left thigh - I at first thought siatic, but doesnt that run along the butt and underside of your leg?? I put heat on it last night and that seemed to help some but it still had a dull ache all the time. When I woke up this morning it feels a little bit better, so we will see. I am taking my prenatals everyday as well as drinking a lot of water so I am not sure if these could be the culprate. I am throughly exhaused though because I can't sleep at night... I actually got a pretty good night sleep last night (for me lately) not waking up until 3:30 AM. Most nights I am awake for the day around 2 AM because I can't go back to sleep. The dr. told me to take Unisom to help with the sleep issue, but that hasn't really worked at all for me! Working full time doesn't help matters either, but I am going to try to get more rest this week, since I am off for Thanksgiving break.

SRL

I had big babies and everything hurt.

I wish I'd been a regular patient with my chiropractor then. I have a gentle chiropractor and I think she really could have helped me back then.

DammitJanet

I have some form of nerve pain along the tops of my legs. It causes numbing in the area you describe but its on my right leg. From the hip to right above the knee. I would bet the nerve is involved but I would also make sure that there is not a clot involved. I have severe burning pain in the lower legs which is not clots but it is painful. I actually dont remember my DVT actually hurting to be honest but then, I dont know that I could have told you much reliably.

J

joneshockey

My leg feels MUCH better today. I have a feeling that the baby was pressing on a nerve or something yesterday. The only time that I have had any discomfort today was when I was sitting on the floor with B2 at preschool and that went away as soon as I got up off the floor. Thanks for ALL your support and suggestions. Let's hope that the pain is gone for good... But if it was a nerve it probably has a pretty good chance of coming back again sometime!

H

HaoZi

When this one is older you can tell him/her "You had a knack for getting on my nerves since the womb!"

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I'm not medically inclined at all.....but I think thigh pain led to that condition in the first place. :tongue: - I know I'm so much help. I see you've gotten some great advice and I love SRL's advice cause I love deep massage and chiro - but I think if it's still hurting? I'd call my doctor.

TerryJ2

I only had that for 2-3 hrs during labor, when the baby was pressing on a nerve. Horrid! It went away the second she delivered.
I couldn't have made it through the pregnancy with-o chiro and massage. Best of luck!

svengandhi

It could be a pulled groin muscle, especially if it's a subsequent pregnancy since everything is already looser.

I had various aches and pains with my 5 and the groin thing came up in my third for the first time.