Waaaaahhh! We saved up money for a new kitchen floor and home repairs but --

TerryJ2

we had a huge storm a few wks ago and a branch went through the roof near the kitchen hallway, and we need new shingles. Plus, the gutter over the living room picture window leaks right in the middle of our 2-yr-old, huge, expensive awning and now the awning is gray with-mildew.

And yesterday, the overflow pan for the AC unit in the attic overflowed and leaked through the wall next to easy child's bedroom.

And her dbl bed mattress is old and lumpy, and the box spring is so old, that the cats can crawl inside of it. One of them scared me to death when I was standing next to the bed, and she playfully poked me in the leg with-her paw, through the mattress lining!

And the $307 monthly budget payment for the oil company, which is always reconciled in July, is $1,895!!! I am so mad! What's the point of a budget plan? Supposedly oil went up in March, but why didn't they call me in March? I can see a reconciliation of $800, but this truly Hoovers. I wrote a check for half the amt and am waiting for a call back from bookkeeping, hoping it's an error.

I had already had a handyman repair a bunch of small jobs, and strip the paint on the front door, but now it looks like public housing (which in our area, is trashed) and some things are halfway finished.
The good news is, that we saved up money.

The bad news is, that we can't spend it on what we want.
A house is a hole that you pour money into. :highvoltage::not_fair:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:hugs:

I know that feeling all too well... Every time I have some saved for something specific, all @#$%^&* breaks loose somewhere else.

Someday we will finish the bathroom and downstairs entryway, and get baseboards in the kitchen...

witzend

Is insurance covering any storm damage? They always say they won't cover water damage, but they'll cover water damage caused by wind that blew a tree down.

KTMom91

I know the feeling, Terry. Someday we'll get the kitchen and bathroom finished, and a new roof, and...

TerryJ2

Thank you.
No, insurance won't cover it because the damage/repair estimate is about the same as the deductible. Never fails.

DammitJanet

I know how you feel. We are getting estimates to put up a new metal roof. Ugh.

Let me tell you the cheapest place around to get mattresses...Walmart online! Yep, you can get great mattresses that you can just put on a solid bed frame...Im trying to remember what they are called. The thing that you use when you dont use a box spring and its just a wooden board or box. I cant remember the formal name. Someone else will. I got a king sized 12" thick memory foam mattress for a tad over $300.

DazedandConfused

We just had a new central air conditioning unit installed in our home; we've been suffering three long years with our 40 year old unit. I just couldn't take another summer with temps 115+ without a good unit. When they came to give me an estimate, I about fell out of my chair, $10,000.00! :surprise: When the salesman saw my shock, he immediately lowered the price to $8,000.00. I had never purchased one before and didn't realize it's like buying a car with a lot of hardball negotiating. Actually, it's like what it USED to be like buying a car. I thought I had done my research. I budgeted for $4,000.00. Of course, now I know I was dreaming. Our final price was $6,500.00 out the door. :check_writer:

We really wanted a new car. husband and I joked that it's sitting on the side patio of our house. :2dissapointed:

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Oh I hear you all, budget girl here too. Then something comes up and the budget is out the window. Our easy child is off to college in August and I cannot have my budget take anymore big hits during the next four years....I know a girl can dream though LOL.

We need a roof in this next year and our master bath is horrid (I won't let anyone use it).

DammitJanet

SO is putting our new roof on himself along with help from family and friends. Metal isnt too hard and it will last forever.

Yes AC is high as all get out! We just put a new one in here 3 years ago and we spent $4500 and that was with a price cut because we knew a guy who would put it in at a much lower price because he was doing it as a side job. I got a good unit and I changed from one that was a split unit to a HVAC but that didnt even cover adding all new duct work. That would have cost me considerably more and I simply didnt have it.

We had dreams of putting laminate flooring down all through this place but not anymore. It will be vinyl. Just as easy to clean and I dont give a darn what it really looks like...its a mobile. My one big thing I want is a dishwasher but Im going to get a used one off of craigslist.

donna723

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I've been there done that too. Reminds me of the day our eagerly anticipated and much needed income tax refund check finally arrived ... on the same day that the refrigerator died! It took the entire tax refund check plus another $20 to buy another refrigerator.

I guess it's all in how you look at it though. It was BAD luck that the refrigerator died and that we didn't get to use our tax refund the way we had planned. However it was certainly GOOD luck that the check came just in time to buy a new one because without that check we would have never been able to afford a new one.

everywoman

I had a metal roof installed last summer---it is bright red :)!. I love it. I had several estimates and didn't think I could afford it. But, I ended up getting the metal for less than it would have cost to replace with shingles. I smile every time I see it---I love my red roof.