We finally have an official diagnosis: BiPolar, no surprise.

dashcat

But a relief. There were times I feared we'd never get here - her denial, aided and abetted by Mr. Ostrich - was so strong. But she did it. She went to the psychiatrist, she told him the truth (as far as I can tell) and she seems willing to take the next step. She will have to get a blood workup, and then he will start her on Lithium.

I know this is just the beginning. I know medication compliance and medication management are huge. But still I am grateful. I am grateful to her rockstar therapist for gently guiding her to this point, for all of you who helped me to know that I wasn't the one losing my mind, and to difficult child for marshalling the inner strength these past months have required.

I know many things can go wrong from here but, for now, I'm going to believe in the possibility that she might be on the road to managing the chaos in her head. That really isn't too much to want for your child, is it?
Dash

Calamity Jane

No, Dash, that's not too much to want for your child at all. Wow - I remember the telltale signs and indications - you had a hunch, but this is it. I hope she is medication compliant and sees improvement. I also hope she continues with her therapy, and eats and sleeps well. Does Ostrich know yet?
Hugs to you and difficult child. Well done.

dashcat

Thank you for understanding, CJane. I don't know if he knows the official diagnosis. I thought I should let her be the one to tell him. He did, however, pay for the visit and has seemed more accepting as time has gone on. Just before she left for the appointment, she started crying and asked if I'd go with her. I drove her (about 1/2 hour away) and stayed in the waiting room. When we got home, she hugged me and thanked me. For all the "validation" he gave her that her lying and running off with internet guys was "a phase", she seems to know that I was on her side, after all.

Last edited:

buddy

Such a bitter sweet thing to get the answers and thus hopefully more help, but the reality of a condition that implies the possibility of a lifetime of struggles....how can we not hurt for them?

Still, if course it's a huge relief to have a direction to head..... You did such a lovely job supporting her. That choked me up. I pray the medication. helps her. She certainly deserves to feel better!

Nancy

So that is good news, not that she has bi-polar but that it can be treated and explains so much of her doesn't it. medication compliance that is the big one, but hopefully when she sees how much better she feels it will be worth it to her.

Nancy

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Dash, I am relieved too for you and for difficult child..........your post brought tears to my eyes, having gone through similar things with my siblings.......she's young, there is hope and once she understands the ins and outs of her own mind, hopefully she will make good healthy choices........she's made a big step and it was so touching that she hugged you and thanked you............geez these kids don't ask to have mental illness, they have to live within all of that chaos and those jagged thoughts....................my prayers are always with both of you...........

InsaneCdn

If you don't know what you're dealing with, there is no HOPE for changing the outcomes.
The diagnosis doesn't provide any guarantees... but in real life? even for typical teen and easy child kids, life provides no guarantees.

Like others, I hope she can find medications that work, that she can live with, and that she is comfortable being compliant with...

I'm proud of you and your difficult child. You have been very patient and she has been very courageous to get to that appointment, be honest and get the diagnosis.

I agree with Insane - there are no guarantees for any of us but I sure do hope that she finds the right medications at the right levels and that she can be compliant.

Will she need an antidepressant as well?

dashcat

She will only be on Litihium for now. Her depressive episondes are less freqeuent, and less extreme than her highs. My guess is that they start with as few medications, and as low of a dose as possible.

DammitJanet

Lithium is the gold standard for bipolar. If it works well for her she will be so lucky. That is one of the cheaper medications and as we all know, once they get on their own, sometimes money is one of the issues that can cause them not to be able to continue on medications.

I will give you a few pointers about lithium to pass on to her. Drink plenty of water. Dont change salt intake. Lithium is a salt so whatever she uses now, keep using. Dont increase it or decrease it.

I would advise you to look up on Amazon for some age appropriate books on girls with bipolar. Uplifting ones. Im also pretty sure there are websites like bipolarworld or something similar to that where she could meet others to chat with. I cant remember if that is the name because I havent been there in ages.

Once she learns that she doesnt have a life sentence...though it really is...the better off she will be. She is young and getting treatment early on is so much better. I wish someone had caught me early. I showed all the signs when I was 5 or 6. If I had gotten treatment then I would have lead a far different life.