klmno

Actually, it is the generic (lorazepam) and psychiatrist had prescribed 0.5 mg tablets as needed but cautioned not to give it to difficult child often due to addictive nature. He said to start with one tablet and if it was too much then give 1/2. If it wasn't enough, give more but not to exceed 2 tablets in one day.

I gave 1 whole tablet to difficult child yesterday. He wasn't anxious but I gave it to him while I could be around him to see what reaction he might have. It really seemed to have no effect whatsoever. difficult child said he couldn't tell any difference either. I gave it to him around 1:00. It does look like he went to bed on time and went to sleep easily. The medication should have worn off by then but it might have left him more tired than usual.

Any thoughts?

Sunday afternoons are usual horrible for us. difficult child hates to shift gears and think about preparing for the upcoming week- homework, getting school stuff in order, etc.

katya02

Solace
Well, the good news is it's not over-sedating for your difficult child. Depending on his body weight it may be slightly on the low side as a dose, or it may be just about right. With oral administration, peak serum levels happen in about two hours, with effect lasting six to twelve hours. Even though the medication would have started to wear off by bedtime there would still be some in his system (its half life is approximately ten to twenty hours, so about half would still be there by 11 pm).

Sunday nights can be really bad for any kids with anxiety issues as they start thinking about the week. Another trial, maybe a couple of hours before he usually gets ramped up, might show you some difference in his behavior. I'm glad he's not having major side effects with it!

smallworld

For what it's worth, we also saw no effect in my son when he took 0.5 mg Ativan. When he had to have immunizations administered last spring, we gave him 1 mg Ativan. He was still anxious, but the medication seemed to take the edge off his anxiety. It may take some playing around with doses and/or time of day to see any effect for your son.

klmno

Thank you! That is very helpful info! Normally, difficult child is ultra-sensitive to medications, as are other people in the family. But I have noticed that my mom and I are much more sensitive to other medications than we are the anti-anxiety medications.

TerryJ2

We haven't tried that one yet, but I'm paying close attention because I know we'll be in for a medication change soon.
Best of luck.

Jena

hi

Were you giving it to tackle the anxiety issues mostly? I did as someone here had suggested and gave difficult child seroquel, the off label usage was to tackle the anxiety issues. It seems to be working for the sleep which she has huge issues with as well as combating some of her anxiety as well. It's only been a week. Yet time will tell. If you remember I couldn't give my difficult child any type of anti depressant's, ssri's or benzo's at all she flew manic. yet the seroquel is working.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You know for K, when she takes Diazapam, in the same family, Benzos. She needs a bit more. I think we had to double her does as well.
I was surprised it didn't touch her whenever we gave it to her! But you do have to watch it, too much and you will knock them out... which is what we needed a couple of times with K. So you have to learn what his dosing is.
Which is a pain and makes you feel like you are running a lab!
It is weird, K is sensitive to most medications, Ativan/Lorazapam... but she was not that effected by the Diazapam...
Glad it went OK though.

klmno

Well, it isn't working right now. I gave him one about 2:00 this afternoon, hoping to ward off the typical Sunday nightmare. He's having a major meltdown right now and I'm trying to stay firm without leading this into a rage for him. I don't know if it's the amount or a reaction.

klmno

And.... then he deterred his rage and cried (almost) and told me he would never take this medication again- that it has made him very depressed and he can't practice trumpet, that he can't even play his scales. He's upset. We talked. He's in the shower now.

I'm supposed to see his therapist (a new one) tomorrow. He is the last effort I am willing to make for out-patient tdocs. If he so much as does like the other ones, where they are trying to force an answer on us before they even have time to hear the problem, I am soooo done.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I don't know anything about Ativan but wanted to send good wishes that this new therapist has his stuff together. Hugs.

klmno

Thanks, Sharon! So, does anyone know what to do if/when it gets to a point where they need more than you can provide them at home but they really shouldn't be in detention or Residential Treatment Center (RTC) at this point? You know, they really need a good therapuetic family situation but I have no experience and little faith that good ones exist around here or that this will be court ordered to be anything other than a worse situation.

TerryJ2

Awww, klmno, I am so sorry. Poor kid.
Poor you!
I wish I had some advice on something a notch below an Residential Treatment Center (RTC). I hope we don't get to that point ... but then, I never though I'd be posting about the police, either. Sigh.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
klmno,

Many times a difficult child is released to another therapeutic placement straight from the hospital or Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (or whatever setting is applicable); not from home.

Having said that, there are therapeutic group homes that are good; there are some exceptional therapeutic foster homes (fewer & far between).

wm left Residential Treatment Center (RTC) 3 years ago now & went straight to the therapeutic group/foster home. We've have an exceptional working relationship with the staff & foster mum & dad there. It helps to sit down & work out the plans & the rules of the house. husband & I have to respect those rules as well.

As to the ativan ~ it isn't a quick acting agent. in my humble opinion, you need to take it on a regular basis to get the best reaction from ativan. (I take it myself here, so cannot comment on the reaction in children.)

kt takes seroquel as a PRN medication; the best PRN medication she took was Zyprexia (it melted under the tongue, sedated her for a bit, then she evened out). It is, however, one of the newer anti-pyschotic medications.

Keeping fingers crossed that difficult child remains medication compliant & things settle down for you & yours.

crazymama30

TL has something, the sublingual (under tongue) are absorbedmore quickly into the body. Anything you swallow generally takes 30-45minutes to act. I hope you can find something to help him.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K uses the Risperdal m-tabs prn. They are the fast melts. We use to use Clonidine as her PRN, I don't know if they make a fast melt?
You can also try Diazapam or Klonipin both are Benzos as well. If the Ativan isn't right. They may work better.
Has he ever had a AD added on in a small amount with the MS?
I used Zoloft at one time. It seemed to work well for my sleep and anxiety issues.

Star*

call 911........call 911
klmno -

Dude took Ativan - and he called it the ATTABOY:surprise: pill - lol.

We tried it for 3 months and other than the fact that he slept better/quicker we didn't see much of a change in him.

Hope the chemicals in your son are a good mix with this drug and you have success.