Well, my friends, I am back and it is not good news . . .

Kathy813

Staff member
I've just come back to this thread and noticed some new replies. Thank you to everyone that took time to read this thread and reply!

difficult child is still here. She is planning to pay us back for the $177 with next Friday's paycheck. This past paycheck is being used to pay her car insurance and cell phone bill. I told her that she had to give me the money before the due date. We'll see.

husband and I went into her room and emptied it out. I have never seen anything so disgusting. There was vomit on the floor in addition to two places where she had spilled cokes and just left it on the floor. We had to rent a carpet cleaner to get the stains out. I washed everything and found empty beer cans everywhere. She is drinking in addition to the prescription drugs.

Speaking of the prescription drugs . . . I found empty bottles of Ambian and Adderall that should have had two more weeks of pills in them. When I confronted her, she said that she took the Ambian one night trying to kill herself and was disappointed that she woke up. I don't believe her for a minute. I think she is selling her prescription pills for cash. I know that she has sold the Adderall in the past.

I agree with you all that she needs rehab but she doesn't have health insurance. It's easy to say that she needs help but she doesn't want it and can't afford it. Where does that leave us?

I did think about calling the local mental health clinic and reporting the missing pills in hopes that the doctor will not prescribe anymore for her.

She did mention moving in with some girls from hair school this past weekend. We, of course, were very encouraging. Today she said that she didn't think she would because they "partied too much."
:hammer:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Kathy

There is not a psychiatrist worth their salt who won't listen to the concerns of a parent of a mentally ill adult child. It does not violate a single patient right, nor the HIPPA laws because you're not really discussing her, you're just giving him valuable outside information so he can better treat her.

The prescription drug thing worries me. Really. Seriously worries me. If she's abusing them, it doesn't surprised me one bit that her bottles were empty long before refill time. Why cuz the fav thing to do is crush and snort. From what I hear, it's a beautiful and popular high. And can also be a very deadly high. Even if she's not crushing/snorting, running out before the due date is an enormous red flag of abuse. I doubt she's selling them or she wouldn't be needing to steal from you........they ain't cheap on the streets. If she IS selling them, I'd be looking/searching for any other signs of serious drugs such as cocaine/heroine. Just to be sure you're not dealing with that on top of everything else.

My bff used her psychiatrist/treatment as a means to supplement her drug addiction. She died because she crushed and snorted a half new bottle of ativan. She never woke up. psychiatrist should've never even prescribed her ativan due to her drug/alcoholism issues. Let alone at least 5 other drugs he had her on. But you can't be treated appropriately if the doctor doesn't really know what is going on.

And the ONLY reason I'm saying to interfere and tell him.......is because it is potentially life threatening.

I know it's horribly hard when you're right smack in the middle of gfgdom. Man, do I know it.

(((hugs)))

gottaloveem

((((Kathy)))))
So sorry. Hound dog brings up very good points in regards to the rx pill abuse. It worries me too. However, I fully understand the predicament you are in. It couldn't hurt to call her psychiatrist with- the info that she is abusing her medications. Again you are not interfering, but alerting the psychiatrist, then perhaps he can start weaning her off.
I have been and will be thinking of you and your family.
Love,
Lia