What a child does and the impact on their future

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have been intensively researching apartment rentals in the area I wish to move to. In doing so, I have learned a LOT about what prospective lessors look for in tenants.

The news isn't good for those of you who's kids have been in trouble with the law.

First of all, full criminal background checks are done. Felonies? Forget about it. Domestic Violence? No way, even Misdemeanor DV. Drug charges such as simple possession are enough to knock you out of consiration at some complexes, not enough at others. Sex offenders list. Forget about it. You will not be able to rent much of anywhere other than via private transaction.

Credit. ANYTHING other than a medical bill that's gone to collection and even that if not paid off. Forget it. NO delinquencies. NO late payments in the last 3 years. No judgements. No liens.

Employers do the exact same type of background checks that property management companies are now doing. Please, if there is any way possible, get through to your kids the kind of impact that what seems to be "childish, wild teen foolishness" can have on the their future quality of life.

I was appalled at what I now have to go through to be able to rent an apartment In a nice complex that is safe and secure and has a few amenities

BusynMember

GN, and that's because people like hubby and I will ONLY live in an apartment where they check for felonies, drugs, and are strict. We don't want to live with people who live marginal lifestyles. It's plain not safe and I'm sure it isn't very quiet and peaceful.
That's but one of the consequences of doing bad stuff and not paying your bills. People who have lived good, clean lives want nothing to do with sharing housing with people who may be disruptive. We have never had the cops out to our complex. I have heard there are certain places, and they have reputations, where the cops are always there.
I hope and am sure you will be accepted and wish you luck in your move! Hug your kitties for me! Give Thomas one big extra smooch...he is so cute. I don't think I've ever seen your other furry friend...I found it interesting to watch my furbabies adjust to their new surroundings after we moved out of the house. They all seem to like it better, maybe because all of us are on the same floor together.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, I was wondering how to ask about safety at these complexes without asking the "wrong" types of questions as its been a LONG time since I've rented an apartment and things have really changed.

I also feel much safer moving into a complex where these precautions are taken, even though they aren't any guarantee.

My point is that one dumb teenage/young adult mistake can screw a kid for life these days. I'm lucky. I have a clean record and good credit and don't anticipate any difficulty being accepted at any of these places that I chose to apply to.

So, all I have to worry about is finding a buyer who can come up with the money for this dump, and finding an apartment I can afford that meets my requirements.

...and whether or not I can bugger out of here without having to fix the roof.

witzend

In school when my kids were about 12 - 13 years old, they used to try to teach the kids how to care for a raw egg and to balance a pretend budget. Maybe they need to teach what it really takes to rent an apartment or get a decent car. We tried so hard to explain this to M, and L always had her daddy to get her out of those scrapes, but M never got it, and he's 30 and still has roommates that switch around every 6 - 8 months.

I have been intensively researching apartment rentals in the area I wish to move to. In doing so, I have learned a LOT about what prospective lessors look for in tenants.

The news isn't good for those of you who's kids have been in trouble with the law.

First of all, full criminal background checks are done. Felonies? Forget about it. Domestic Violence? No way, even Misdemeanor DV. Drug charges such as simple possession are enough to knock you out of consiration at some complexes, not enough at others. Sex offenders list. Forget about it. You will not be able to rent much of anywhere other than via private transaction.

Credit. ANYTHING other than a medical bill that's gone to collection and even that if not paid off. Forget it. NO delinquencies. NO late payments in the last 3 years. No judgements. No liens.

Employers do the exact same type of background checks that property management companies are now doing. Please, if there is any way possible, get through to your kids the kind of impact that what seems to be "childish, wild teen foolishness" can have on the their future quality of life.

I was appalled at what I now have to go through to be able to rent an apartment In a nice complex that is safe and secure and has a few amenities

BusynMember

My point is that one dumb teenage/young adult mistake can screw a kid for life these days. I'm lucky. I have a clean record and good credit and don't anticipate any difficulty being accepted at any of these places that I chose to apply to.
Ask every question. Some complexes do felony checks and some don't. They will be glad you're so willing to submit to testing.

And I agree with your point although I never thought of it. My kids never had felonies or even jail time, not even the bad times. So it never hit me that sometimes early mistakes cause problems much later.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
My husband and I are landlords and are pretty picky about who we rent to. We only have one property, a single family home. I do a pretty thorough check on prospective tenants. I utilize our county's website to see if there is any criminal background, law suits, bankruptcies and I also contact their employers. We are good landlords and we take good care of our investment property so we want to make sure we have someone who is responsible. Ironically, we purchased this house for our son to live in, he had been released from prison and we were trying to help him out. All we wanted him to do was get a job and start getting his life together, that didn't work out so good.
:wellduh:

We took a chance one time on a couple and the guy was honest with us that he had some trouble with the law (fighting). Things were good for about 6 months then they started being late with the rent, then he lost his job. I checked our counties website and saw that he had new charges for fighting. Per our lease agreement they got too far behind on the rent so we evicted them. Lesson learned.
You are so right about how our difficult child's actions will cause them problems for years to come.

There are plenty of slumlords out there who will rent to anyone.

I agree with SWOT
hubby and I will ONLY live in an apartment where they check for felonies, drugs, and are strict. We don't want to live with people who live marginal lifestyles. It's plain not safe and I'm sure it isn't very quiet and peaceful.

Here's a couple of links that go over questions to ask.
http://renters.apartments.com/12-questions-to-ask-a-property-manager-before-signing-a-lease
http://allswagga.com/blog/2010/05/19/75-questions-to-ask-before-renting-an-apartment/

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have gotten a few giggles out of the "proof of income" thing as what they ask for are two consecutive pay stubs.

Since I draw SSDI and a VA pension I don't have pay stubs. Instead, I have letters that I receive yearly from the Fed telling me what amount I will be getting monthly for that year.

More than a couple of leasing reps have had to go check with a superior to find out whether or not my government documents are sufficient substitutes for pay stubs.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SWOT, I don't have any decent pictures of Squeaky because either she is REALLY in the mood to have her picture taken and all I get is a shot of the inside of her nostrils, or she really ISN'T in the mood to have her picture taken and all I get is her tail...departing the area at a high rate of speed.

I can assure you that she gets lots of loving and cuddles and scritches though.

In fact, right now, she has her hind feet on the back of my chair, her front paws on my shoulder, and is purring in my ear while watching me type this. Thomas is comatose on the bed. He's had his share of scritches as well, but I make it a policy not to bother him when he's snoring his brains out, unless absolutely necessary. I promise I'll pass on the smooch when next he regains consciousness.

Confused

I do see why they check, as I want to be careful who I had renting my place or living next to me. Some kids/people do change and do deserve that chance as well to be in a decent place. I think its a tough call, for us parents who have kids who have those issues and now are better and need a place, and those who don't or shouldn't have to deal with those who haven't changed living next to them.

And even with no background checks and just to check the income like you said with your letter, thats tuff too as many places esp apartments want one to earn at least double the amount. ( not all places- theres some who as long as you have any income to pay)

Your cats sound so sweet!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Confused, the places I am looking for want the rent to be no more than 1/3 of gross income. Not 1/2. I've never heard of that.

Confused

I see what your saying and yes, your right. Im just saying how a couple apartment places were when someone I know tried. They looked at her monthly income and credit and told her she had to make at least double the rent amount. ( sorry meant" rent amount" not what the person made, I barely am having my caffeine!) Least, thats what they told her, but sometimes I think they make up something if they dont like the person! Ok, yes, been thinking too much!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Confused, I think I figured out what you meant. Some property managers will, if an applicant has a less than stellar history, ask for twice the usual security deposit before considering that applicant.

Could that be what you meant?