I have read:
Codependent no More
The Language of Letting Go
When Parents Hurt
When our Grown Kids Disappoint Us
It's Not About You Except When it Is
One Day at a Time in Al Anon
Stop Walking on Eggshells

I have found them all to be useful and interesting. If anyone has any suggested readings that you please post.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
These books helped me:

By Pema Chodron, (a Buddhist nun who offers tools on how to live in uncertainty, fear and chaos.)

*Comfortable with Uncertainty
*The places that scare you
*When things fall apart
*Living beautifully

By Eckart Tolle
*The Power of Now
*The New Earth
*Stillness Speaks

By Viktor Frankl
*Man's search for meaning

By Brene' Brown
*The Gifts of Imperfection
*Daring Greatly

strangeworld

Thank you! I have also read Man's search for Meaning (actually didn't finish it because I loaned it to my mom and have not got it back). And The New Earth and Power of Now. I'm going to look into the others you posted. The titles sound good.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Boundaries
by Henry Cloud & John Townsend

Then I found out my son was studying this book in his program! I was so happy to hear that because while I was reading I kept thinking "Gosh I wish J could read this"! My therapist also was very aware of it and said it is a great book.

:lady:

strangeworld

Boundaries
by Henry Cloud & John Townsend

Then I found out my son was studying this book in his program! I was so happy to hear that because while I was reading I kept thinking "Gosh I wish J could read this"! My therapist also was very aware of it and said it is a great book.

:lady:
I almost purchased this for kindle but it says it is very Christian based. I believe in a higher power but I am not affiliated with any religion so I thought it might be too faith based for me but I don't know...maybe not. I think I will probably get it. The reviews were high.

BusynMember

Boundaries is good for all, even atheists. Just skip the religious parts.

I am very spiritual too with no religious affiliation and found it helpful.

Kathy813

Staff member
Don't let Your Kids Kill You: A Guide for Parents of Drug and Alcohol Addicted Children by Charles Rubin

This book really spoke to me. Here is the book description from Amazon:

Defies the myth that parents must sacrifice themselves. Instead, shows them how to reclaim their power, balance, happiness...and lives. When kids turn to substance abuse, parents also become victims as they watch their children transform into irrational and antisocial individuals. This harrowing scenario finds parents buckling beneath the stress--often with catastrophic consequences: Divorce, career upsets, breakdowns and worse. "Don't Let Your Kids Kill You" is a landmark work that dares focus on the plight of the confused, distressed parent and not the erring child. It sets aside any preconceived ideas that parents are to blame for what is essentially a full-blown global crisis. Drawing on interviews with parents who've survived the heartbreak of kids on drugs, combined with his own experience, Charles Rubin provides practical advice on how parents can help themselves and their families by first attending to their own needs. Liberation begins when you open this book.

I really liked that it focused on the parent . . . not the "child." I think that shift has to happen for any of us to truly learn how to detach and stop enabling our adult children.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I almost purchased this for kindle but it says it is very Christian based. I believe in a higher power but I am not affiliated with any religion so I thought it might be too faith based for me but I don't know...maybe not. I think I will probably get it. The reviews were high.

It wasn't over the top. I am non denominational but I do think it explained scripture well when used and that is something I have always had a hard time understanding.

strangeworld

Don't let Your Kids Kill You: A Guide for Parents of Drug and Alcohol Addicted Children by Charles Rubin

This book really spoke to me. Here is the book description from Amazon:

I really liked that it focused on the parent . . . not the "child." I think that shift has to happen for any of us to truly learn how to detach and stop enabling our adult children.
Thanks for this recommendation. I downloaded it and have read almost the whole thing today. Very good book.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I have read:
Codependent no More
The Language of Letting Go
When Parents Hurt
When our Grown Kids Disappoint Us
It's Not About You Except When it Is
One Day at a Time in Al Anon
Stop Walking on Eggshells

I have found them all to be useful and interesting. If anyone has any suggested readings that you please post.
Tending Fandelions was excellent.