What room in your house...

Pink Elephant

... is the heart of your home?

Ours is the kitchen. Seems dear husband and I, always congregate in the kitchen, and the same hold true for when we have company over. Board games are played, conversations take place, coffee, tea, and snacks are served, but most of all, the kitchen feels so warm and homey to hang-out in.

Tired out

It depends on who is here and what's going on. When I have friends come to stay it is my scrapbook room. We laugh drink wine and scrap.
When it is a whole family thing the kitchen table is the place to be, but after we eat it is the family room because we have 3 very entertaining cats that love to play and be played with.

KTMom91

The living room. It's too hot to eat in the kitchen, so we eat in here, the TV is in here, the cats are in here, and the cooler is in here.

BusynMember

We havent moved in yet. Still working on house. I suspect the living room and basement will be. The living room is a natural spot with comfy furniture and we arr getting a pellet stove, our final purchase. The basement is big with a pool table, a second miceowave and some comfy furniture. We are also putting up a dart board. I have friends who love pool and darts.

On nice days that are not 100 I suspect the deck will be popular but thats not a room. However in appropriate weather I love to sit on my swing there with husband while we watch the dogs play in the yard. Its very peaceful with shady trees. It is what sold me on the house.

Pink Elephant

Lots of fun reading everyone's posts. Thanks for dropping-in for a visit. :)

Ideally, if we had the means, I would love to have a great hall to relax and entertain in. One with floor to ceiling windows, maybe one or two large area carpets, leather furniture, and a few built-in ornate walnut bookcases. of course the crowing glory to the room would be it's two story hand-cut stone fireplace, where folk could gather all around.

Reading about playing darts and pool, reminds me of my own younger years, when we'd gather in the games room of a great uncle and aunts home, and it was there that we'd have a few drinks, play darts, play pool, and all while we had on our favourite music. I miss those days so much. Proof that we as a society do not need all the fancy electronic gadgetry of today to have fun. In fact, yesterday folk, had more people-skills than folk do today, and they also knew how to have more fun. I suspect that's why marriages and relationships lasted a lifetime. People where content and happy with what they had, unlike today, where much wants more.

AppleCori

We have a “great room” concept living area, so the family room and the eat-in kitchen are all kind of one room.

This is definitely the main living area of the home, and we spend 90% of our waking hours there. The kitchen is good sized and has a built-in desk where my daughter does her school work and online classes. There is a bathroom right off to the side.

We have often talked about downsizing.

Right now, we are staying in a small two bedroom cabin (maybe 500 sq. ft. or less) and it’s plenty big.

Pink Elephant

Apple. Both you and SOT's entertaining and relaxing rooms have me dreaming.

As for Tired Out's post about her scrap room, I have always dreamed of having a crafts/wrap room where I could go to make little things, wrap gifts, and just loose myself.

As a kid I remember some neighbours that had a TV room at the far end of their home. It was a tiny little room, but so cozy. They would eat supper on TV trays in that room. Remember TV trays?

I've always wanted a TV room ever since. If I had a TV room, I'd have a leather sectional in it, and a simple coffee table that resembles gigantic books stacked on top of one another. Just love those tables.

BusynMember

Pink....but we allow no smoking in our house so people who visit cant smoke or get drunk. We dont buy booze so its bring your own beer but dont get drunk. But I expect our downstairs to attract many. Im excited.

Pink, pool, ping pong, and darts are still popular. So is bowling and otjer sports.

Pink, i do think divorce rates are out of control but I think that is due to how easy it is to legally divorce, the lack of divorce as a stigma (which it used to be) and no fault divorce. I am not convinced couples were happier then. They just had it harder if they wanted to divorce. So many stayed togetjer not happy.

I still wish, if only for the kids sakes, that people tried harder to stay together today, but the laws would have to change. And the stigma would have to return.

I think divorce screws up more kids than drugs, social media or videogames put together. Kids HATE divorce and ping pong parenting, always new stepfamilies, parents dating....it is horrible for our children. All kids prefer their parents stay together. And yes I divorced once too.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Oh, we used to smoke at great aunts and uncles place. It was like a true pool hall. Drank, too. :)

I liken your house rules to that of William Randolph Hearst, who allowed people to enjoy themselves while visiting his estate, but frowned upon those who got drunk. A lifetime ban from ever attending another gathering at William Randolph Hearst's estate was in effect for those brave enough to test the rule.

I love Ping-Pong, too. Used to play that all the time as kids. Had lots of fun.

Agreed, if the rules and conditions surrounding divorce were tightened, you'd see people remain more straight. Also believe if the gold-digging carpet was pulled out from under those who marry for money, you'd also see change, and quick-like, too. People would start marrying for love, rather than materialistic possession and a life of being carried.

Listened to a radio broadcast related to relationships and marriages, and how today, the failure rate sits at a whopping, staggering 87%, which is directly attributed to less men wanting to get married, because of the worry of being taken for a ride financially. Is also attributed to less children being born today than ever before. So great to see hard-working men being more aware nowadays and less willing to say, "I do". No man deserves to work hard only to have half his worth robbed from him, and nor should the reverse be allowed to happen (vice-versa).

AppleCori

I don’t think divorces should be harder to get, myself (as someone who has been divorced), however.....

You two can never again complain about ME taking a thread off topic!

LOL

I, personally, have had my share of big houses, and am really thinking about downsizing. I would keep the “great room” concept but just not have a bunch of extra rooms or living areas.

Pink Elephant

Oh, Apple, I would never accuse you of going off-topic.

Maybe some people get all bent out of shape over such, but I personally love it when something off topic is introduced into conversation and blossoms into something even better. You are welcome (as is any other member) to go off-topic on any one of my started conversation whenever your little heart desires. :)

Regarding divorces, something has to change, Apple. The current way people marry, divorce, and settle, is wrong. Then again, maybe it's designed that way. Then again, maybe, just maybe, it's taken until now for men (and women) to finally wake and smell the coffee as to how the legal system works as far as pay-outs go due to a failed marriage, hence the lack of interested men nowadays, and the low birth rate.

Bouncing back from a failed marriage (today), is nowhere near as easy as it was 3-4 decades ago. Everything has become so expensive and out of reach for so many, there just is no bouncing back. Loose your home to a failed marriage, and most can say hello to apartment living for the remainder of their days.

BusynMember

Apple, I dont think the rules should tighten either. Its our right to divorce. I just think that the lax rules make divorce more common.

PinkP my son wants nothing to do with marriage since his divorce. Never wants another kid to love to death and have to fight over again and doesnt want to be robbed. He makes a good buck and has to give a lot away that does NOT go to his son, although he has 50/50 custody. The ex spends it on herself.

But my son tells me that in 2018 most of the women he meets dont want to marry either. That suits him just fine. Most have been burned too and dont really think much of marriage. Many are making good money and very happy being single.

My oldest daughter is not a marriage fan. Aftet over 12 years she has still not married her SO and doesnt care.

My youngest of course is marrying.

I would have to read SEVERAL reliable sources (as in not Rush Limbaugh lol) to believe the divorce rate is 87 per cent. 55 or even 60 or so I would believe. But....show me good evidence in several diverse places of 87 percent or I think thats just one persons opinion maybe. Or a lie for some agenda.

But millennials are kids of divorce (thats us, folks) so I dont blame them for being scared of marriage. We set a terrible example. We showed them that parents dont usually stay together, at least not the first time.

My opinion again. If a man lets a woman marry him for money and doesnt demand a pre nup, I blame him as much as the woman. Too many old men in corvettes are with very young beauties...they know why these girls want them. They know its the money. Some may want to believe that they are so appealing that at age 60 a thirty year old finds him sexy, not just his money. But deep inside, he has to know.

We need to date smart.

I can steal a thread too, Apple! :)

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I do know if I were among the younger generation today, I wouldn't be interested in marriage. Marriage, in my opinion, at least by today's standards, is empty, aside from the select few.

As for right now, as in if dear husband and I went our separate ways, or heaven forbid, something happened to dear husband, I wouldn't waste a minute looking or playing the field.

I spend a lot of time observing couples whenever I'm out and about, and I see very few that radiate a sense of happiness, contentment, and love, yet for whatever unknown reason the general populous continues to strive for marriage and children, as if they are adamant about living up to the ideals of yesteryear. Far too many people are more concerned about people who are single, and why those people are single, instead of concerning themselves over their own affairs.

I believe that if people (overall) spent more time full-filling their own dreams and wishes instead of putting on a show for all to see around them, i.e., trying to keep up with the Jones's, society would be a better place for all, and I believe materialism and greed is the root cause of 99% of societies woes.

BusynMember

I know many loving couples. My own marriage is with the best man ever.

I see tons of deep love and friendship between my daughter and her fiance.

I cant say what I would do if I were a millennial. I am not one.

AppleCori

Agreed, if the rules and conditions surrounding divorce were tightened, you'd see people remain more straight. Also believe if the gold-digging carpet was pulled out from under those who marry for money, you'd also see change, and quick-like, too. People would start marrying for love, rather than materialistic possession .

Ohhhhh, kinda harsh, there, Pink. lol

He is getting what he wants, as well.