When Daddy's "all that"

zeke11

Ugh, how do you cope when Daddy's the clear favorite and you are a distant second?

My 4 are all adults. My 2 eldest are 31 and 30. Both of them clearly ADORE their Dad while barely tolerating me. I know the reason for it is that I was the disciplinarian in the family when they were growing up. Not that I wanted this role, but that he was totally uninvolved, his choice. In fact, more than once he ordered me (in front of the child) to take our discussion out of the room because I was disturbing his tv show.

So not only did he not discipline the kids, but he disciplined ME in front of them when I was trying to do the job. This was such a regular thing that I ended up walking on eggshells when I knew that something had to be addresssed. He would become angry at me for trying to do my job with the kids and straighten them out. So it would end up that I would be disciplined by him and it made me extremely stressed.

I cannot tell my kids that my husband has been verbally and emotionally abusive to me throughout our marriage. I actually thought this was the "norm" - to be forced into having sex that this was my "duty" as a wife. Recently, I learned that this was a form of abuse. Also, he is disrespectful to me but never in front of them. It makes it even more difficult to deal with the fact that he is revered and put on a pedestal by them, knowing that he is not the saint they feel he is.

But that aside, my life's goal was to raise children, I felt that I wanted that as a career. So I was a stay at home mommy to them, devoted everything to them and did my best for them. At the ages they are now, I feel they barely tolerate me. Of course, I make mistakes sometimes, we all do, and they are not at all forgiving. They jump at the slightest indiscretion, criticizing me, putting me down. Attacking my faults, my personality. I feel so much a lesser person. I try to engage them in conversation, try to get together for a lunch date and occasionally they humor me, but I feel that we don't have a connection, it feels like a business lunch.

I made a lot of trips to the seamstress when my daughter was getting her wedding dress altered. We had to meet there since coming from different directions - about an hour drive for me. The first couple of times, I treated her to lunch afterwards, but after that she would beg off. Once saying that she wanted to go visit a friend (but why couldn't she do that afterwards?) like she "always" does after the fittings. I would end up stopping for fast food before the drive back. I felt so sad that visiting the friend was her little ritual and took precedence over getting together for lunch with Mom - now the wedding is over, so we won't ever do this again.

Anyway, I'm having trouble coping with their behavior toward me. I'm feeling resentment toward my husband for being on this pedestal. And my relationship is wearing thin with the girls. Anyone have this issue in their family and if so, how do you cope?

My two younger kids are a daughter and son. My younger daughter loves us both equally, that is apparent. My son does side with me, clearly my husband never really encouraged a relationship with him as he did with the girls. Perhaps he has more of a need for any type of female adoration? Not sure!

Please help!

BusynMember

I have not gone through this but it sounds very painful. Have you ever thought of seeing a therapist? They can be great at giving you your self esteem back and teaching tou to cope with situations. Many of us were helped a lot in therapy. It would be great if hub would go with but if not, going alone can help just as much.

Leaving him sounds like right now the kids would turn on you. But there are ways to deal with this you never thought of. Thus the therapy suggestion.

Love and light.

zeke11

I know, I have thought about therapy more than once. It's so costly. Definitely husband will not go. More and more I think that this is the answer.

BusynMember

There is low cost counseling in every county. If you are part of a church, they often have counseling.

I went to county counseling for years and it really helped.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Welcome. I agree with SWOT, counseling of some sort will support your own self worth and offer you options for how to respond to the situation from a sense of empowerment and self value. Others treat us in the fashion which we allow, don't allow this treatment, don't allow another to disrespect you.

You can look for therapists in your area at these sites: The Psychology Today website and goodtherapy.org. If cost is an issue, ask around for counselors who do sliding scale or contact your local Social Services to see what therapy is offered for low cost. You might also try attending a CoDependent anonymous (CoDa) meeting which are free and may offer you some comfort and guidance.

You can also contactl the domestic abuse hotline for other options (Home | The National Domestic Violence Hotline.)
You can call them 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and chat with them and their advocates can connect you with resources for support.
They are trained in how to assist you and can listen and offer you help.

Verbal and emotional abuse is still abuse, it is no less damaging and insulting to your SELF than physical abuse.

You matter. Your thoughts, feelings, values and ideas matter. When we've been in situations which are abusive, our self esteem suffers mightily......it sounds as if you've been enduring abuse for a very long time. Take a stand for yourself and seek out safe places to receive support. You deserve to be treated with respect, dignity and love.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Welcome! I'm so sorry for your heartache.

I agree with the others that seeking out a therapist would be the most helpful for you. Sometimes church's offer low cost counselling.

I cannot tell my kids that my husband has been verbally and emotionally abusive to me throughout our marriage.
This can be tricky, but you most certainly can tell your kids. It's not that you are out to bash your husband but your kids are not operating under the whole truth. Of course before I would say anything, I would want to work through this with a counselor.

They jump at the slightest indiscretion, criticizing me, putting me down. Attacking my faults, my personality.
They have learned this behavior from watching their father.

I do hope you will seek out some kind of therapy. You can also utilize the library as there are so many wonderful self help books. You have been beaten down with hurtful words and disrespect. Don't let that define who YOU are. Your kids are grown now. Find out who you are. What kinds of things do you like to do that you haven't done in a long time? What kinds of things do you want to do? You are your own person who does not have to be defined by your husband or your children.

Put on an invisible suit of armor. Do not let the cruel words your husband or children say take root in you. Your feelings matter. You need to take care of yourself. Put yourself first. Practice self love.

((HUGS))